The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 9, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #15,871 of 22,434
Everyone knows, per the Sus thread, these vegan boys are B-12 deficient which is known to cause auditory effects. :laughing:

May 9, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #15,872 of 22,434
To be honest, I have a hard time understanding how you can go from thinking that they sound completely unnatural to really good, when you listen with the exact same audio system. 🤔
Well, its a good question.

Let me try to think through what may have contributed to this change of heart.

First, the May DAC may have made a difference.

It was loaned out at that time when I tried the TC, earlier. I think the May adds a whole lotta body to notes, and the TC scales on it nicely.

Second, I was A/B-ing with the Sus at that time with tracks that had lots of strings, vocals, etc.

This time around I was A/B-ing with the R10P, and a lot of electronica had surreptitiously entered my test track list, as I have been listening to the R10P for a while now.

Lastly, because I have been playing exclusively the R10P for a while, before bringing home the TC, it is likely that my sense of what is “reference” is temporarily displaced, lol.

But if you ask me what may have made the most salient difference, I may have to give to the May (DAC).

Its still not my favorite headphone but I get the charm and the fanboyism/-girlism it receives.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #15,873 of 22,434
I'm not too surprised at the change of heart :) ..like I mentioned in the susvara thread at the time, having extended time with a variety of TOTL headphones can make quite the difference compared to A/B listening too two headphones within a very short period of time, especially if one of the headphones is a favorite or has been owned for quite some time. A/B'ing itself in the traditional sense has a lot of problems alone..

I think time and the R10P made a huge difference (no denying the DAC change, but generally the headphone's signature remains the same for the most part). In either case, glad you got a second pass at them @Sajid Amit.

May 9, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #15,874 of 22,434

It was loaned out at that time when I tried the TC, earlier. I think the May adds a whole lotta body to notes, and the TC scales on it nicely.

Second, I was A/B-ing with the Sus at that time with tracks that had lots of strings, vocals, etc.

This time around I was A/B-ing with the R10P, and a lot of electronica had surreptitiously entered my test track list, as I have been listening to the R10P for a while now.

Lastly, because I have been playing exclusively the R10P for a while, before bringing home the TC, it is likely that my sense of what is “reference” is temporarily displaced, lol.

But if you ask me what may have made the most salient difference, I may have to give to the May (DAC).

Its still not my favorite headphone but I get the charm and the fanboyism/-girlism it receives.
I'm sure that the May DAC had a big impact. I think the super high resolving nature of the TC can be perceived as too analytical, cold and devoid of emotion if not matched properly on the front-end. You see the Abyss team talking about what gear they like with their HPs and it's decidedly in the warm and lush tube and tube/analog-like components. Their cables are like that too - very clear but somehow adds more warmth and brings the mids more forward.

I've made a lot of improvements with the JPS cables and using batteries to power the Chord HMS and TT2. Doing this really smoothened out the highs and added body to the mids without affecting the clarity, transparency and imaging. Initially, I also thought the TC was only great for high energy music and not so great for vocals (especially female vocals) or other nuanced music like classical and acoustic jazz. I'll listen to metal and EDM sometimes but, most of the time, I listen to sonically mellower stuff with lots of dynamic range.

For me, the JPS SC cables made the most noticeable improvement but I know that more can be done later. I just can't do it right now because my budget is maxed out! Haha. I want to get a tube amp for the reasons mentioned earlier and a good music server/streamer and a USB reclocker are on my radar as well. And when this is all done, then it'll probably be time to upgrade the DAC. It never ends... This being said, I'm very happy with where things are now with my setup. It takes a while to understand the characteristics of a particular TOTL headphone and then tweak the system around it to realize its full potential in terms of what the designer/manufacturer envisioned it to be.

May 9, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #15,875 of 22,434
Anyone padrolling over here? I really enjoy the ZMF suede pads. Makes it sound more headphony, fit is tighter tho

Attachments

• IMG_6326.jpeg
    IMG_6326.jpeg
    680.6 KB · Views: 0
May 9, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #15,876 of 22,434

I am not surprised at all...initial impressions are often erroneous and over time listening to different sources and different music one can start to hear detail and other positives that werent apparent upon first glance...in my case I thought the abyss TC head and shoulders better than the susvara...in fact I sold my first susvara and ultimately rebought it and now to be honest if given a choice between the 2 I could not choose, I have come to really appreciate the susvara and I believe a lot has to do with the addition of the bakoon 13r which really opened it up for me...

May 9, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #15,877 of 22,434
The gorgeous looking McIntosh MHA200 tube amp is out in the wild, with positive impressions so far. I am on the 2-3 month waiting list for one. There aren't too many in depth impressions regarding how it drives the Abyss 1266. I hope it's favorable. I'll be comparing it to the Formula S / powerman which I'm getting in next week or so.
500mw is not going to cut it for the Abyss, not even close.

May 9, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #15,878 of 22,434
I can’t properly commend how much the jump to TToby has improved my experience with the TCs, compared to the TT2 alone. This may be a feature of speaker amps broadly, or the TToby-TT2 pairing specifically. The dynamics, staging, and bass have all taken drastic jumps, and now more than ever I feel totally immersed in a headphone listening experience. Briefly switching back to my HD600 gave me perspective of how much was missing from my former go-to. I don’t see the need to change amplification anytime soon, unless Orlok can sell me on the WA33, whenever that time comes :wink:.

May 9, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #15,879 of 22,434
Friends, have any of you A/B-ed the LCD4 and the 1266 Phi TC for metal / rock?

I have heard both but wondering if any of you own both or have otherwise gotten a chance to A/B?
They are both bloody outstanding. TC is going to present the music in a wider and more expansive manner, great for symphonic rock/metal. LCD-4 is closer and more vocal-focused. Honestly there is no need to constantly switch between the two based on which one you think will be better for a given album. They are both so well-rounded it's never a crime to listen to, say, Dead Can Dance with the TC or Dimmu Borgir with the LCD-4. Just wing it, except for those occasional times when you want the PERFECT experience.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #15,880 of 22,434
I can’t properly commend how much the jump to TToby has improved my experience with the TCs, compared to the TT2 alone. This may be a feature of speaker amps broadly, or the TToby-TT2 pairing specifically. The dynamics, staging, and bass have all taken drastic jumps, and now more than ever I feel totally immersed in a headphone listening experience. Briefly switching back to my HD600 gave me perspective of how much was missing from my former go-to. I don’t see the need to change amplification anytime soon, unless Orlok can sell me on the WA33, whenever that time comes :wink:.
Glad you are really digging the TToby to drive the TC. I do wonder if it is this specific TT2-TToby pairing. I went back-and-forth a few times myself and this combo has the magic as far as I'm concerned. I even kept the volume low (75 dB) on the TToby and cranked up the volume to around 85~90dB on the the TT2's SE and XLR outs and I still preferred the TToby's overall sound. The TC just reacts differently with the TToby. Not sure why but I really don't care; it just sounds so good. It's a warmer, fuller, deeper and bigger sound while retaining the transparency and clarity.

I really don't see the need at all to change or upgrade my amp setup either. If and when I do add the WA33 to get the full-on tube sound and vibe, it wiIl be an add-on and I fully expect to keep the TToby. In fact, another option will be to use the TT2 strictly as DAC to WA33 and also use the WA33 in front of the TToby as a preamp as well as a headphone amp. Then I can switch between the two easily depending on my mood or some specific genre or recording. But that's ways off. I've made enough big ticket purchases for this year. Haha.

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #15,881 of 22,434
May 9, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #15,882 of 22,434
Friends, have any of you A/B-ed the LCD4 and the 1266 Phi TC for metal / rock?

I have heard both but wondering if any of you own both or have otherwise gotten a chance to A/B?
I just got my pair of LCD-4 this afternoon. I need more time and comparison between the two, but the LCD-4 sounds good with metal. It’s very warm (or at least for me). The imaging seems hazy, which is good or bad depending on your genre. With metal, hazy works. The TC bass is better, but the LCD-4 also has good bass. I could see myself listening to hip-hop with these headphones and not be disappointed.

I’ll continue to break the LCD-4 in and make comparisons with all my headphones. :L3000:

May 9, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #15,883 of 22,434
I will be the first one to admit - I just cried listening to Eric Prydz - Opus (don't judge me). The first time in my life I heard soundstage hight in an electronic song. I knew what width and to a lesser degree depth is, but never hight. I am in love with AB-1266.
Lots of fun to listen to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back