The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #15,901 of 22,406
Very Cool... can you share more details, pictures and how it was made?
I've built an adapter for different pads. It latches on to the driver assembly via magnets like the Abyss one. The one on the picture is 104mm which works nicely.
Better yet, can you take some orders? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 10, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #15,902 of 22,406
So, I'm finished with this experiment of completely taking the setup off the grid with the Jackery 1000w battery for the TToby and running my MBP off of a battery as well and I have to say that I really don't hear that much of a difference, if any. I will say the TToby does sound quieter. When I pause the music, it's dead silent and pitch black whereas I heard a tiny bit of hiss when connected to the mains. So I guess that's worth something.

Interesting! So if your amp has a DC in, and you have sufficiently strong batteries, then those batteries may be a better alternative than would an external power supply? Do I understand you right? Sounds like it would be far cheaper as well. Maybe worth considering for those upper-class amps.

May 10, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #15,903 of 22,406
Interesting! So if your amp has a DC in, and you have sufficiently strong batteries, then those batteries may be a better alternative than would an external power supply? Do I understand you right? Sounds like it would be far cheaper as well. Maybe worth considering for those upper-class amps.
Well, I've only compared the battery AC out to the amp with the Audioquest NRG-Z3 power cable plugged into the Furman PST-8D power conditioner and the battery is quieter. I don't know about the real high-end power line conditioners and cables like the AQ Niagara and Hurricane.

I remain curious about such high-end power supply products and what effect they have on the sound compared to batteries. What else do they provide besides eliminating RFI/EMI noise? I'm sure there is more to it or people wouldn't be spending many thousands on them.

As for DC, I'm using the smaller RAVPower batteries for the HMS and TT2 and that made a big difference since it's a critical point where any line noise gets passed down through the chain.

May 11, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #15,905 of 22,406
@cjarrett @MatW @Litlgi74

It's a 3d printed frame that takes 6 magnets to attach to the driver assembly. I fitted them inside the frame, so they wont be visible once the two parts are assembled. Second part attaches to the pad, the outer diameter is variable so it takes pretty much any pad out there. This version was for me so I can quickly swap pads. In my case the pads stay perma-mounted to the adapter ring since I've built that system for most headphones I own, so I can easily switch them around. If I make these for others, I'd probably add some latches to the inner ring to add more friction for a more permanent solution. Just hit me up if you're interested. Or if you want to print them yourself I've attached the stl files for the non latched 104mm version.

Attachments

• IMG_6327.JPEG
    IMG_6327.JPEG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6328.JPEG
    IMG_6328.JPEG
    961.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6329.JPEG
    IMG_6329.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6330.JPEG
    IMG_6330.JPEG
    975.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1266_w_104.zip
    48.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #15,906 of 22,406
@cjarrett @MatW @Litlgi74

It's a 3d printed frame that takes 6 magnets to attach to the driver assembly. I fitted them inside the frame, so they wont be visible once the two parts are assembled. Second part attaches to the pad, the outer diameter is variable so it takes pretty much any pad out there. This version was for me so I can quickly swap pads. In my case the pads stay perma-mounted to the adapter ring since I've built that system for most headphones I own, so I can easily switch them around. If I make these for others, I'd probably add some latches to the inner ring to add more friction for a more permanent solution. Just hit me up if you're interested. Or if you want to print them yourself I've attached the stl files for the non latched 104mm version.
Really neat. Might ask my SIL's brother (3D printed lots of gifts for the nephews these past few years) to make me some with his setup. Give me an excuse to go over and share some beers now that we both got the jabs.

May 11, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #15,907 of 22,406
It's for 10x3mm magnets btw. I don't know if they're available in the US. If not, just msg me with the closest size

May 11, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #15,909 of 22,406
May 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #15,910 of 22,406
May 11, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #15,911 of 22,406
@Ciggavelli, did I miss your Sunday metal pick? Tsk.

A little less 'evil' but plenty of heavy with great tempo, timing, pop, and enough vocal range to satisfy.

May 11, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #15,912 of 22,406
May 11, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #15,913 of 22,406
I suggest you wait for it to be back in stock, it is the best 1266 stand I have seen
Agreed. It's really good to have it rest on the metal frame instead of the elastic headband. It also looks amazing as well.

May 11, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #15,914 of 22,406
@Ciggavelli, did I miss your Sunday metal pick? Tsk.

A little less 'evil' but plenty of heavy with great tempo, timing, pop, and enough vocal range to satisfy.

I've been on a little funeral doom kick. I like this album a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back