The iQube Enigma (Review Updated)
Mar 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #48 of 305
Just spoke with Drew of Moon Audio. He told me the iQube should be in stock next week. Also i'm told they're running an introductory promotion and folks that order during the first month will get 10% off. So that works out to around $450 plus shipping.

Mar 6, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #49 of 305
I received a loaner iQube yesterday. I am getting familiar with its sound and should be posting impressions by Sunday. I hope to meet w/ vorlon1 and boomana on Saturday to compare notes on the iQube's sound.

Here are some pictures, please click on the thumbnail to view the full size picture.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #51 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received a loaner iQube yesterday. I am getting familiar with its sound and should be posting impressions by Sunday.

Looking forward to your impressions.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #52 of 305
Quote:

I received a loaner iQube yesterday. I am getting familiar with its sound and should be posting impressions by Sunday. I hope to meet w/ vorlon1 and boomana on Saturday to compare notes on the iQube's sound.

Here are some pictures, please click on the thumbnail to view the full size picture.

First Dex, that review was a stunningly enjoyable read, I want this amp because of you. Second, Mrarroyo I can't wait for your take on this amp, I bought the mini box e+ on your recommendation and it's a real winner, I just wish the price was lower on the iQube
frown.gif
I might have to cancel my pico pre-order.

Mar 12, 2008 at 3:50 AM Post #55 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$500-600 is an awful lot for a portable amp with no built in DAC, larger in size, and the case design is meh.

-Ed

It's actually around $500 including VAt or whatever it's called.

Moon Audio is starting to carry the iQube though, and it'll be with a welcoming introductory price of...$475, I believe.

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #56 of 305
Quote:

Dex, absolutely one of the best written reviews I've seen out here bar none.
cool.gif

Miguel, I noticed your pics show the iQube connected via mini cable from the Pods headphone out? Am I wrong that you are amping an already amped signal which is not near as clean of noise as coming off a LOD? I thought the purpose for using an external amp was to bypass headphone outs?

If this whole area is about better sound through amping why would anyone want to amp an amped signal? I have tried all three of my portable rigs both ways and all three sound far better when pulling data off the HDD via a LOD vs. headphone out
confused.gif
What am I or did I miss? THX

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #57 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dex, absolutely one of the best written reviews I've seen out here bar none.
cool.gif

Miguel, I noticed your pics show the iQube connected via mini cable from the Pods headphone out? Am I wrong that you are amping an already amped signal which is not near as clean of noise as coming off a LOD? I thought the purpose for using an external amp was to bypass headphone outs?

If this whole area is about better sound through amping why would anyone want to amp an amped signal? I have tried all three of my portable rigs both ways and all three sound far better when pulling data off the HDD via a LOD vs. headphone out
confused.gif
What am I or did I miss? THX

You are missing that he uses a 4G RedWineAudio iMod, which has the very-high-quality line out routed through what used to be the headphone jack
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #58 of 305
Just received my iQube 5 minutes ago. Its burning in. Couldn't resist taking a quick out-of-the-box listen. I like what I hear. Dex, your review made me order the iQube.

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #59 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are missing that he uses a 4G RedWineAudio iMod, which has the very-high-quality line out routed through what used to be the headphone jack
biggrin.gif

You are correct, of course there is also the 5.5 iModded w/ the VCaps in the external enclosure.
cool.gif

Mar 13, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #60 of 305
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my iQube 5 minutes ago. Its burning in. Couldn't resist taking a quick out-of-the-box listen. I like what I hear. Dex, your review made me order the iQube.

Well, seein' as how I twisted your arm there, mm, how's it sounding after a couple of days now?
tongue.gif

And I can't help but find it somehow appropriate that an iQube has made its way to you there in Cupertino, corporate home to so very many other products channeling the Bauhaus design aesthetic via Braun's Dieter Rams:

imac-comp.jpg

Braun Atelier TV and iMac 24

powermac-comp.jpg

Braun T1000 radio and PowerMac G5/Mac Pro

powermac-comp2.jpg

T1000 perforated aluminum surface detail and Mac Pro detail

ipod-comp.jpg

Braun T3 pocket radio and iPod

ipod-hifi.jpg

Braun L60 sound system and iPod Hi-Fi

mac-speaker.jpg

Braun LE1 speaker and iMac