THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . Update available for even better sound. Just pay shipping.
Jun 3, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #631 of 687
I am especially looking forward to plugging my Intruder into the new HE-1000's. If it can drive the HE-8's, I'm hoping the HE-1000's will be a cakewalk for the Intruder. Will post my thoughts when I get the HiFiMans.

Jun 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #632 of 687
I am especially looking forward to plugging my Intruder into the new HE-1000's. If it can drive the HE-8's, I'm hoping the HE-1000's will be a cakewalk for the Intruder. Will post my thoughts when I get the HiFiMans.

They work well together. The HE1000 sound great balanced! 

Jun 29, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #633 of 687
I have been wanting to try balanced for awhile now and figured I'd try an Intruder as my first. 

Right now I have a Magni 2U, Modi 2U at work and a Lyr 2, Uberfrost at home and love them with my LCD-X's. 

I have a pair of JH Layla's coming in I'm going to try out and see how they pair with the Intruder as well.

I also ordered some adapters and plugs so I can make the correct cables to take full advantage of balanced with the X's and Layla's. 

On a side note, does anyone know where to get a second charger? I plan on using it at work and home and on the go but don't want to lug around a psu. Would rather just keep one where I go. And yeah, I know a desktop would be easier but until then the Intruder will do nicely I'm sure.

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #634 of 687
I have been wanting to try balanced for awhile now and figured I'd try an Intruder as my first. 

Right now I have a Magni 2U, Modi 2U at work and a Lyr 2, Uberfrost at home and love them with my LCD-X's. 

I have a pair of JH Layla's coming in I'm going to try out and see how they pair with the Intruder as well.

I also ordered some adapters and plugs so I can make the correct cables to take full advantage of balanced with the X's and Layla's. 

On a side note, does anyone know where to get a second charger? I plan on using it at work and home and on the go but don't want to lug around a psu. Would rather just keep one where I go. And yeah, I know a desktop would be easier but until then the Intruder will do nicely I'm sure.

Do you plan on running your DAP through the USB input?

As for an extra power cord, that is easy when your order your Intruder tell Ray Samuels you would like two power cords and I am sure he would send two (of course you will have to pay for the additional). I would be very leery of buying a power cord from anyone else as I have three RSA amplifiers and each power cord if different as the batteries are different.

Jun 29, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #635 of 687
Do you plan on running your DAP through the USB input?

As for an extra power cord, that is easy when your order your Intruder tell Ray Samuels you would like two power cords and I am sure he would send two (of course you will have to pay for the additional). I would be very leery of buying a power cord from anyone else as I have three RSA amplifiers and each power cord if different as the batteries are different.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do plan in using it as a dac. I don't have a balanced dac so this will have to do. Pc usb with tidal and Android with tidal. I know it caps out at 16/48 bit that's fine as my music is CD quality anyways with tidal.

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #636 of 687
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do plan in using it as a dac. I don't have a balanced dac so this will have to do. Pc usb with tidal and Android with tidal. I know it caps out at 16/48 bit that's fine as my music is CD quality anyways with tidal.

All I can say is your are in for a real treat. The Burr Brown DAC and the implementation in the Intruder is phenomenal. Short of spending $2500 on a Chord Hugo I have never heard a better portable Amp/DAC.

Jun 29, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #637 of 687
All I can say is your are in for a real treat. The Burr Brown DAC and the implementation in the Intruder is phenomenal. Short of spending $2500 on a Chord Hugo I have never heard a better portable Amp/DAC.

Phew.. I thought you were going to say it was bad. Yeah, I'm hoping once I get my cables made and I'm able to compare the other schiit single ended amps to the balanced intruder it'll shine. I'm hoping to be so blown away to sell my schiit gear for balanced.

I hope the Layla and X sound good on it.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #638 of 687
Phew.. I thought you were going to say it was bad. Yeah, I'm hoping once I get my cables made and I'm able to compare the other schiit single ended amps to the balanced intruder it'll shine. I'm hoping to be so blown away to sell my schiit gear for balanced.

I hope the Layla and X sound good on it.

I have not heard the Schiit gear but I will tell you once you go balanced it is impossible to go back to single ended. Greater soundstage, clarity and out of your head holographic sound.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #639 of 687
I have not heard the Schiit gear but I will tell you once you go balanced it is impossible to go back to single ended. Greater soundstage, clarity and out of your head holographic sound.

Any suggestions for a decent desktop balanced stock that doesn't break the bank? A friend suggested the ALO Island but thought I'd tread some more waters.

Jun 29, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #640 of 687
Any suggestions for a decent desktop balanced stock that doesn't break the bank? A friend suggested the ALO Island but thought I'd tread some more waters.

I would wait until you get your Intruder you may, like me, find you do not need a desktop as the Intruder can fill both roles beautifully.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #641 of 687
@Jazic - don't forget to burn them in.it just keeps getting better and better after putting hours on it. Around 200-500 hours would be sweet :)

@spook76 - hmm... so it's a burr brown dac huh? You're the very first one I've heard naming the dac inside the intruder :D how did you know?

Fully Balanced :)

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #642 of 687
@Jazic - don't forget to burn them in.it just keeps getting better and better after putting hours on it. Around 200-500 hours would be sweet :)

@spook76 - hmm... so it's a burr brown dac huh? You're the very first one I've heard naming the dac inside the intruder :D how did you know?

Fully Balanced :)

I already owned the RSA Protector and RSA Lightning. My great friend, MCoupe, who gave me my Intruder spoke to Ray and was told it was a Burr Brown DAC.

p.s. Beautiful rig!

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #643 of 687
I already owned the RSA Protector and RSA Lightning. My great friend, MCoupe, who gave me my Intruder spoke to Ray and was told it was a Burr Brown DAC.

p.s. Beautiful rig!

Thanks!

Oh so that's why you know. Good catch there as the info re: dac inside the intruder remained unkown (atleast to me) until this very day. Good to know it's a burr brown too :) thank you!

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #644 of 687
So I just got my rsa to AK adapter finished and got to try it balanced on the JH Layla and it still sounds rolled off up top just like single ended. It sounds amazing except for the lack of highs. My phone doesn't sound as good but it definitely has better range and extension up top.

Is it just me or am I going crazy?

EDIT: iPhone = phone (Samsung S4). Autocorrect made it iPhone instead of phone. My phone is S4 not iPhone. Sorry. :p

Jul 5, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #645 of 687
In this hobby the only thing that matters is your own ears, contrary to what everyone else reviews on the Internet.

With that said i would try combinations of other sources to isolate the effect - or lack of effect - of the intruder and iPhone. Am guessing you are amping the iPhone headphone out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back