THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . Update available for even better sound. Just pay shipping.
Mar 13, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #616 of 687
  Howlin, really appreciate you effort on by behalf.

I had seen a few other positive comments about the DX50 and it's wolfson dac with the Intruder, as I was casually browsing in other threads. Never did any serious research into it.
How much storage capacity does it have, and how does it differ from the DX90  Were there any comparisons to CLAS as far as SQ .
What the CLAS has going for it is, you can go balanced into the Intruder. That's not to say, I wont keep an open mind regarding the Ibasso's

What would be cool is, if someone has been down this road comparing, and there impressions and conclusions.

DX50 has one wolfson DAC.  DX90 has two (i think sabre) DACs.  If I had to buy another one today, I would probably go DX90.  ONLY downside right now seems to be battery life of 90 vs 50.  But they both use Samsung S3 batteries, so throw some batteries in your pocket and you are good to go.  And most of my listening is at the desk or at home in a chair.  Very close to a power outlet.  So no issues with batteries.

I don't seem to remember anyone comparing to the CLAS to the ibasso products.  I would say the major benefit of the DX family is using any format music you want, and higher resolution if you have it.  Remember the ipod is limited to 16/48, I believe.  The DX family can do 24/192, and the DSD format of DSF (converted to PCM.  Not native DSD.)

So as to keep this thread on track, the DX 50 and 90 both have very clean line out.  I use that SE to the intruder.  Unfortunately, even though the DX90 has 2 dacs, they don't have a balanced output.  If you have more questions, PM me or you can check out the 2000+ pages of DX50 and DX90 posts.  (Just kidding.  I wouldn't suggest to anyone reading all of those from the beginning.)

edit:  I forgot to answer.  It uses a single micro sd card slot.  So capacity is basically as many cards as you want to buy.  The largest available right now is 128, but the specs say it can use any size up the the theoretical limit of the micro sd standard.  I have 2 64G cards and one 16G card.  Scanning is fast.

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #617 of 687
"I don't seem to remember anyone comparing to the CLAS to the ibasso products.  I would say the major benefit of the DX family is using any format music you want, and higher resolution if you have it.  Remember the ipod is limited to 16/48, I believe.  The DX family can do 24/192, and the DSD format of DSF (converted to PCM.  Not native DSD.)"

Thanks for pointing out that the Ipod is limited to 16/48, that's something to definitely take into consideration, when considering the CLAS

Personally, a DAP with balanced out would be a welcome to the Headfi community. I know there are some hi end $$$ all inclusive DAP's. but one that just has a good dac, that can be paired up with one of Rays balanced amps would be sweet. "Balanced all the way"

On another note, hope this fine Friday evening finds you sitting in your arm chair, sipping a cold one, and enjoying your Intruder.. Spook this goes for you too, appreciate you guys helping me along !!

Mar 13, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #618 of 687
An iPod Touch is not limited to 16/44 if you are using a digital line out as I am and bypassing the Sirrus Logic DAC in the iPod. Third party apps like Neutron Player will output upto 24/196. The gating issue is the Intruder DAC downsamples the resolution to 24/48 its maximum resolution, I believe. Since my entire library is either redbook 16/44 with a bit of 24/48, the Intruder is perfect.

Thanks Seabeeeze. I have my Intruder, a single malt and I am content.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #619 of 687
An iPod Touch is not limited to 16/44 if you are using a digital line out as I am and bypassing the Sirrus Logic DAC in the iPod.

My mistake.  Thanks for clarifying.  (Thank goodness I used that ",I Belive" tagline for that.  Someone might have jumped all over me.)  
;^)

PS.  Is that a golden doodle or a poodle?  I have a golden doodle that looks a lot like that.

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #620 of 687
My mistake.  Thanks for clarifying.  (Thank goodness I used that ",I Belive" tagline for that.  Someone might have jumped all over me.)  
;^)

PS.  Is that a golden doodle or a poodle?  I have a golden doodle that looks a lot like that.

That is Max and he is a pure standard poodle but easily mistaken for a golden doodle (same coloration) as the breeder I adopted him from raises both standards and golden doodles.

Mar 16, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #621 of 687
That's funny Howlin and Spook, I owned two Goldens, I lost one recently, and the other is also quite old, they were sisters.

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #623 of 687
Seabreeze, us men who know enough to acquire Ray's incomparable Intruder know that the standard poodle and its cousin the golden doodle are wonderful companions.

This made me laugh.  Indeed the world would be better if populated with more Intruders and Oodles.

So my intruder is just now finishing up it's 100+ hours of break in since I sent it back for the upgrade.  (Thanks Ray!)
I don't have any impressions yet.  But soon.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #624 of 687
Just want to say,

I've been enjoying Intruder for a year and I couldn't be more happier. I know SQ is a matter of personal taste but I wanna say that Intruder is simply mind blowing. It bests other portable amps I have such as Alo RX3,Continental and E12.
My set up: AK120II balance out> Intruder balance out > LCD 2.
I got high end sound in my pocket.

Cheers.

Mar 17, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #625 of 687
Just want to say,

I've been enjoying Intruder for a year and I couldn't be more happier. I know SQ is a matter of personal taste but I wanna say that Intruder is simply mind blowing. It bests other portable amps I have such as Alo RX3,Continental and E12.
My set up: AK120II balance out> Intruder balance out > LCD 2.
I got high end sound in my pocket.

Cheers.

I was just chilling earlier today and really lost track of time listening to some tracks from my IPOD Classic 5.5 on the Intruder using an LOD.  You really do get desktop amp type sound and power from this amazing portable unit.  The Intruder is quite an achievement.  Yes Ray, I was using balanced out!
beerchug.gif

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 12, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #626 of 687
Greetings!

Newbie here. I don't know where to post my question and i'm not sure i can create a thread (yet). And since this is a thread specifically for rsa intruder i'll just post my question here. Can i use a generic wall charger for the intruder? If yes, can you guys tell me the specific output volts/mah of the charger? I'm currently charging it through my computer usb. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Apr 13, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #627 of 687
  Greetings!

Newbie here. I don't know where to post my question and i'm not sure i can create a thread (yet). And since this is a thread specifically for rsa intruder i'll just post my question here. Can i use a generic wall charger for the intruder? If yes, can you guys tell me the specific output volts/mah of the charger? I'm currently charging it through my computer usb. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You can NOT charge the Intruder via USB from any PC or power source.
You need ONLY the supplied Charger that is designed for Lithium Ion for the 4 pack battery of the Intruder.
The charger is only $35.00. Any other power adapter could over heat & destroy your Intruder...

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #628 of 687
Hi ray,
Thanks for the clarification! Where can I buy that charger? I can't seem to find it on your website. Please advice me on how to or where I could purchase it. Thank you so much!

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #629 of 687
Hi ray,  Thanks for the clarification! Where can I buy that charger? I can't seem to find it on your website. Please advice me on how to or where I could purchase it. Thank you so much!

Email him at the address on his website and he will give you all the information on how much, shipping, methods of payment, etc.  Ray is great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back