THE INTRUDER by RSA. balanced dac/amp. . Update available for even better sound. Just pay shipping.
Aug 4, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #661 of 687
Greetings! Wow what a thread. This might seem odd, but, being blind, I use two smart phones that have a speech synthesizer that gives me access to the Smart phones . HTC 1M9 and I phone 6s. I prefer my iPhone but, I don't think the intruder would work with the iPhone and the Apple camera kit. If I am wrong, please advise. Also, does anyone have experience using the intruder with the HTC 1M9. I read that I need to get the proper connecting cable that is USB to go. To summarize, Apple camera kit with iPhone is it possible? Intruder plus USB cable plus HTC 1m9 is it possible?

Aug 4, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #662 of 687
Greetings! Wow what a thread. This might seem odd, but, being blind, I use two smart phones that have a speech synthesizer that gives me access to the Smart phones . HTC 1M9 and I phone 6s. I prefer my iPhone but, I don't think the intruder would work with the iPhone and the Apple camera kit. If I am wrong, please advise. Also, does anyone have experience using the intruder with the HTC 1M9. I read that I need to get the proper connecting cable that is USB to go. To summarize, Apple camera kit with iPhone is it possible? Intruder plus USB cable plus HTC 1m9 is it possible?

I would suggest contacting RSA directly for the best possible help. My interactions with him have been fruitful and positive. He may take some time to reply back though. His email is: rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #663 of 687

If you are asking if the Intruder will directly accept Digital output from the Apple?  I believe the answer is No.  I don't think Ray licensed the Apple decoding chip.

If you are asking if the Intruder will directly accept Digital output from the HTC via OTG?  I believe it Should.  However, not positive.  Sorry.

Hope this helps some.

Mar 5, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #667 of 687
I want to start using my Intruder with my laptop, any recommendations on good USB cable pairing with Senn 650

Mar 6, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #668 of 687
  SEABREEZE.  Hi.  I think I understand what you are trying to do.  Some of it is impossible, and some of it is tremendously more difficult than you think.  I’m going to discuss in reverse order of your list above.

Your stated objective is to use the imod 30 pin to usb mini into the DAC of the intruder.  This is not possible because of the nature of the imod.  The imod is bypassing the internal amplifier of the ipod.  This gives you a direct line out from the DAP to the intruder.  This is almost as good as you can get for using an ipod as a transport.  However, it is an analog signal, not digital.  Therefore you would use the 1/8” single ended input into the intruder. (Also, please read the imod page where it cautions you against using your imod with any other docks other than the imod cable that came with it.  It could damage equipment.)

If you had a standard (older) ipod with a 30 pin output.  You can buy the Cypher Labs 30 pin to usb b mini cable (see moon audio or cypher labs for this cable).  You still could not use this directly into the RSA intruder DAC.  RSA Intruder is not apple certified.  In this case, you could use something like the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo (I suggest the balanced –dB model). 
You would go ipod > 30 pin to usb B mini > CL Algorhythm Solo > balanced kobiconn cable > balanced input to intruder > balanced output to headphones.

Here is a post from Acesi7 with the above setup.  Only using an SR71 instead of intruder.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549750/cypher-labs-algorhythm-solo-discussion-and-impressions-thread/255#post_7655275

For android smartphones, I believe you need a micro B OTG to mini B connector.  You need to look for a cable that specifies On The Go (OTG).  That forces the phone to be the driving end of the USB stream, and not the receiving end.  Phones are primarily set up as receiving end of the USB stream.  And the micro B to mini B - OTG cable is not common.  There is a thread about that, but I dropped off it a year ago.

I have looked at exactly what you want to do for the past couple of years.  Here is what I've determined:
Ray's Intruder is a fantastic piece of kit, and sounds great using the standard 30 pin ipod connector to single ended input.  You already have the iMod which is supposed to be fantastic.  You should simply connect the imod to the single ended input of the intruder, and Jingle-BAM.  Happiness.

When I wanted digital, I left apple completely and went with a DAP that can handle FLAC.
If you have a touch or iphone, you can download the FLAC player from apple, but it is still limited to 16/48, I believe.  And you will still have apple compatibility requirements for the hardware.

If you want HD tracks quality, you have to get a DAP that will handle that.  I went with the iBasso DX50.  But DX90 is nice.  And products from fiio, and Astell & Kern are options as well.

No matter what, the intruder is awesome.

HI Howlin, >>> Could not agree with you more about your statement Jingle-BAM  Happiness feeding the I Mod ..  Thanks for all the great info you supplied

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #669 of 687
  HI Howlin, >>> Could not agree with you more about your statement Jingle-BAM  Happiness feeding the I Mod ..  Thanks for all the great info you supplied

You are quite welcome.  Glad to be of service.

Mar 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #670 of 687
  You are quite welcome.  Glad to be of service.

Fester an update for you, not that you already don't know but, damm that Dac in the Amp is "Quite Impressive", breeds life into the mids and highs, not that the bottom end is lacking, as it certainly is not... First time for me using the Dac.and it was only with a generic cable. Also still only using single end out to HP, so when I do get a balanced cable I know it even gets better  I wonder if Ray has ever given any thought to building a desktop with a built in Dac. Like his Apache or Dark Star..

Mar 22, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #671 of 687
Hi fellow headfiers. Sometime on last year, i bought a used T+RSA The Untruder and the buyer also gave me two interconnect which are :-

1. Single ended (3.5mm MALE to kobicon) : to connect Line Out from DAP to Intruder balanced input

2. Single ended (3.5mm FEMALE to kobicon) : to connect Intruder balanced output to 3.5mm single ended headphone/IEM

As I know, Kobicon (balanced) only can be connected to balance cable & 3.5mm output can be connected to 3.5mm single ended or if using an adapter, balanced to 3.5mm single ended.

The buyer also said he used all the cables that he give me to connect to the Intruder. As i write this, The Intruder still functioning 100%. But I read that the internal amp could be damaged if we connect single ended cable to balanced input/output.

So, hope can get advice / opinion regarding this from this thread. Thanks  

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #673 of 687
  Hi fellow headfiers. Sometime on last year, i bought a used T+RSA The Untruder and the buyer also gave me two interconnect which are :-

1. Single ended (3.5mm MALE to kobicon) : to connect Line Out from DAP to Intruder balanced input

2. Single ended (3.5mm FEMALE to kobicon) : to connect Intruder balanced output to 3.5mm single ended headphone/IEM

As I know, Kobicon (balanced) only can be connected to balance cable & 3.5mm output can be connected to 3.5mm single ended or if using an adapter, balanced to 3.5mm single ended.

The buyer also said he used all the cables that he give me to connect to the Intruder. As i write this, The Intruder still functioning 100%. But I read that the internal amp could be damaged if we connect single ended cable to balanced input/output.

That's my understanding also, just email Ray RSA @ rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com he responds quickly. Once you get an answer kindly post his responce so we can all learn.. Thx

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #674 of 687

That's my understanding also, just email Ray RSA @ rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com he responds quickly. Once you get an answer kindly post his responce so we can all learn.. Thx

Mar 22, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #675 of 687

This is what it says on his site about the Intruder  "The BALANCED/SE switch should be toward SE connector, 3.5 mm, when input signal is from a SE source. When fully balanced signal is used from either balanced CD or DAC the BALANCED/SE switch should be toward the BALANCED Connector."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back