Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 22, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #3,061 of 5,538
@jmills8 use TH900 with N8 and shared his flavourable impression several times, so I assume TH900MK2 will work with N8ii as well. By the way, the purple is a limited edition with 140 pairs only but the red TH900MK2 is a regular model.

1650614171627.png
How about the much under rated Audio Technica ATH AP2000Ti. I use it with my N6ii/R01 and N6ii/A02/C9 and they were better to my ear than the Lirics.

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #3,062 of 5,538
Unfortunately, we are still working on it.
Nice to hear it, I hope by the time I get one most of the bugs has been fixed.

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #3,063 of 5,538
just went sony store to test drive 1z2 and 1a2. I can be very confident to tell n8ii is sure a winner. 1z2 smoothes out the treble too much. 1a2 is sharper but the presentation is not as elegant as n8ii.

regarding output, the wm1s 90/120 roughly same as 50 of n8ii

I also tested dmpz1, it is sure powerful but same as 1z2, treble being smoothed out

tested with ier-z1r

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #3,064 of 5,538
Let's draft a list.

High-end closed back headphones for N8ii
  • Meze Liric
  • Focal Stella
  • Kennerton Rognir
Your turn.
Would love to hear further reflections on the Rognir pairing, ideally against A02/C9 (which I find pairs superbly well with Rognir). I know you're a fan of this headphone yourself, so your comments are especially welcome.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #3,065 of 5,538
How about the much under rated Audio Technica ATH AP2000Ti. I use it with my N6ii/R01 and N6ii/A02/C9 and they were better to my ear than the Lirics.

While I don't have ATH-AP2000Ti, I do have ATH-A2000Z which I haven't touched in years (literally, had to wipe the dust off now). I think Ti version will be tuned a little brighter up top. Since you mentioned it, was curious how well N8ii can drive these oldies, so I compared N8ii (high gain, P+/Tubes/ClassAB) vs N8ii + C9 (high gain, Tubes, Class A and Class AB). The cable is non-detachable, 3.5mm terminated.

1650635747104.png

These are not easy to drive, they are power hungry, had to switch to high gain on N8ii (when connected directly, as well as P+ boost) and C9 (when using external amp). With C9 in high gain, volume was at 11 o'clock.

So, in case of ATH-A2000Z, you do need C9 to drive them with more authority. Directly from N8ii it sounds good and loud enough, but lacking body in lower mids and mid-bass punch is not as strong. With C9 it just sounds better. Please, keep in mind, cable is not detachable so I'm stuck with 3.5mm output of N8ii which is less powerful than 4.4mm. Maybe I need to find someone who can convert these cans to detachable cable.

Apr 22, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #3,066 of 5,538
While I don't have ATH-AP2000Ti, I do have ATH-A2000Z which I haven't touched in years (literally, had to wipe the dust off now). I think Ti version will be tuned a little brighter up top. Since you mentioned it, was curious how well N8ii can drive these oldies, so I compared N8ii (high gain, P+/Tubes/ClassAB) vs N8ii + C9 (high gain, Tubes, Class A and Class AB). The cable is non-detachable, 3.5mm terminated.

These are not easy to drive, they are power hungry, had to switch to high gain on N8ii (when connected directly, as well as P+ boost) and C9 (when using external amp). With C9 in high gain, volume was at 11 o'clock.

So, in case of ATH-A2000Z, you do need C9 to drive them with more authority. Directly from N8ii it sounds good and loud enough, but lacking body in lower mids and mid-bass punch is not as strong. With C9 it just sounds better. Please, keep in mind, cable is not detachable so I'm stuck with 3.5mm output of N8ii which is less powerful than 4.4mm. Maybe I need to find someone who can convert these cans to detachable cable.
I haven't heard the 2000Z but I've read a couple of reviews comparing them to the AP2k where there is a feeling the AP2k has a better bass and treble extension without bein muddy or sibilant. Also the soundstage seems to be better defined. Maybe the balanced cables help or maybe it is differences in the drivers such as the coating material used in the AP2k. In any case on balanced the N6ii/R01 drives the AP2k fully but not so well with higher impedance headphones.

Apr 22, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #3,067 of 5,538
@jmills8 use TH900 with N8 and shared his flavourable impression several times, so I assume TH900MK2 will work with N8ii as well. By the way, the purple is a limited edition with 140 pairs only but the red TH900MK2 is a regular model.

I am just looking at the HIFIMAN HE-R10P at 100dbW its close to the Susvara in performance and its a planar driver but close backed ...expensive though

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220422-102131_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220422-102131_Chrome.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #3,068 of 5,538
I have encountered something seems to be strange and yet not. But turned out that I got fooled a couple times by myself and being unfamiliar with N8ii

So, I will head up to others here. Probably, not many people will encounter this scenario. However, just in case.

I used my N8ii as a USB in , or being an external DAC. Then I chose (USB Audio in , No charging). I forgot it completely, and the next day, I woke up, plugging in my phones and playing music.

Beautiful music were singing to me, and I went on with my daily business. The next thing I know is that my battery was down to 40%, which is my typical charging time.

So, I plugged in, and the N8ii was Dead quiet. I freaked out !!!! Completely forgot about my usb setting. I went on ahead and “factory reset”. I panicked together with “the forum posts about weird behaviors of non charging issues”. Crossed fingers and she woke up, charging again like never before.

Then I listened again that day with my IPad/PC….she stopped charging again, once more !! 😱😱😱😱

Factory reset happened again, and I couldn’t find a reason why she didn’t charge at all, despite me plugging in different cables and charger. After reset, she is singing again

It took me 2 days to think about what triggered her behaviors, and sure enough it was me using her as an external DAC, setting at no charging when usb is plugged in 😂😂😂😂😂😂

This setting is at

Setting >>> connected devices >>> usb settings

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:00 PM Post #3,070 of 5,538
I have encountered something seems to be strange and yet not. But turned out that I got fooled a couple times by myself and being unfamiliar with N8ii

So, I will head up to others here. Probably, not many people will encounter this scenario. However, just in case.

I used my N8ii as a USB in , or being an external DAC. Then I chose (USB Audio in , No charging). I forgot it completely, and the next day, I woke up, plugging in my phones and playing music.

Beautiful music were singing to me, and I went on with my daily business. The next thing I know is that my battery was down to 40%, which is my typical charging time.

So, I plugged in, and the N8ii was Dead quiet. I freaked out !!!! Completely forgot about my usb setting. I went on ahead and “factory reset”. I panicked together with “the forum posts about weird behaviors of non charging issues”. Crossed fingers and she woke up, charging again like never before.

Then I listened again that day with my IPad/PC….she stopped charging again, once more !! 😱😱😱😱

Factory reset happened again, and I couldn’t find a reason why she didn’t charge at all, despite me plugging in different cables and charger. After reset, she is singing again

It took me 2 days to think about what triggered her behaviors, and sure enough it was me using her as an external DAC, setting at no charging when usb is plugged in 😂😂😂😂😂😂

This setting is at

Setting >>> connected devices >>> usb settings
you mean no charging even plug in with an adaptor?

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #3,071 of 5,538
Okay, tell me how can n8ii have larger soundstage than c9? (As I hear reported here). Doesn't it depend on c9 dac? When I add, say P6 pro as dac to c9 this combo is nothing too impressive soundstage wise. But add sp2000 and it's almost the size of the entire horizon of the planet on some tracks. Out of ibasso dx200Ti with amp 3 (balanced true LO) it's also humongous, much larger than p6 combo, not as wide as sp2000 but more surround-sound and higher. Then there's the interconnects. Add a pw audio attila interconnect from the sp 2000 and the sound becomes even wider (and smoother in a good way), add eletech iliad and its narrower but gets a little of the iliad's lower mid rumble and treble sparke. I'm just thinking of ordering an pw Orpheus interconnect to see just how colossal the soundstage can get within the rules of the known universe. And a pw 1960s for more treble sparile and bass depth.

How can the n8ii compare with these combinations, or even surpass in soundstage sp2000 - orpheus interconnect - c9? Do you compare n8ii against sp2000 + c9 and n8ii is larger? This would be serious. But, I mean, what's the interconnect then? (That can also play its part). Or do you compare n8+c9 vs just n8ii -- and then n8ii alone is simply larger? And that then, to you, says n8ii amp stage is superior to c9? Doesn't seem logical to me. All this says to me is n8ii might not be a great source for c9.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #3,072 of 5,538
Apr 22, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #3,073 of 5,538
LP6 and N8ii complement each other nicely. I can't pin point exactly why I like LP6 Gold more sonically but for the soundstage and imagining, N8ii is a one step ahead of LP6G.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #3,074 of 5,538
For those who are interested, my full Review of N8ii is up!!! This time with a lot of comparison and pair up examples and updated sound analysis and conclusion :)

cayin-n8ii-08-b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back