Cayin N8ii: The Incredible DAP with ROHM DAC and fully BAL Nutube
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #3,032 of 5,538
Sold the M9 and awaiting shipment for the N8ii. Look forward to finding out what this device has to offer. :dt880smile:

It was a hard decision between this and the new Sony WM1Zm2. Hope I made the right decision and don't end up with a buyer's remorse.

Generally not a tube guy and not a huge fan of devices that puts out lot of heat, but had to try this one with all the latest tech crammed into a portable footprint.

And I've had good experience with prior Cayin DAP (N6ii).
For me I have to postponed getting N8ii because i'm just splurge decent amount of money getting desktop tube amp, and still needed to spend some more for power and interconnect cables, so I can't afford to get N8ii right now.

But if i'm itchy to get a new DAP WM1AM2 looks really suit my use case right now, more portable than MAX (and no need to always carrying two charging adapter everywhere you go), has a long playtime, Sony build quality, W. Music app, and obviously more friendly to my wallet. But I dunno about the sound quality compared to MAX, I hope its good enough.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #3,033 of 5,538
For me I have to postponed getting N8ii because i'm just splurge decent amount of money getting desktop tube amp, and still needed to spend some more for power and interconnect cables, so I can't afford to get N8ii right now.

But if i'm itchy to get a new DAP WM1AM2 looks really suit my use case right now, more portable than MAX (and no need to always carrying two charging adapter everywhere you go), has a long playtime, Sony build quality, W. Music app, and obviously more friendly to my wallet. But I dunno about the sound quality compared to MAX, I hope its good enough.
Even if It (WM1A M2) doesn’t have true LO ? And you still going for that desktop amp together ?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #3,034 of 5,538
Even if It doesn’t have true LO ? And you still going for that desktop amp together ?
No i'm not getting 1AM2 to use with desktop amp, thats if i'm really getting 1AM2 anyway. I'm interested in 1AM2 for portable use when i'm on the go, MAX is too big and heavy on my shirt pocket.

Apr 21, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #3,036 of 5,538
What exactly is it you are looking for from a portable ?
I think you need to relaxed a bit here, my post above is just me trying to express my situation why i'm not getting N8ii right now, despite the fact that i'm really interested.

And because of my recent expenditure, if i'm going to get a newly released DAP, the WM1AM2 is the only logical option for me, at least for my wallet. Even though i'm still not sure about the SQ of 1AM2, am I going to like it or not.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #3,037 of 5,538
I got the N8ii yesterday. Using my MDR-EX1000 here is my out of box impression:
Out of box I can sense N8ii superior imagining to my other days, and I can hear the sub bass potential of this dap.

Tonality wise, I still like my LP6 Gold more, but I'm sure N8ii will change with them.

My case feels fits fine, but I know leather stretches with heat, so I need to judge once the case has been through a few heat cycles.

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #3,038 of 5,538
I think you need to relaxed a bit here, my post above is just me trying to express my situation why i'm not getting N8ii right now, despite the fact that i'm really interested.

And right now because of my recent expenditure, if i'm going to get a newly released DAP, the WM1AM2 is the only logical option for me, at least for my wallet. Even though i'm still not sure about the SQ of 1AM2, am I going to like it or not.

I think Vince/@Whitigir was trying to be helpful, and he does gets excited about DAPs, just like we all do :wink: There is a number of choices in WM1AM2 $1.4k price bracket of your limitation, thus you might have more options depending on your requirements (streaming or not, output power, output ports, tonality, etc). N8ii is a top dog now, and it comes with corresponding price tag, though it is still not the most expensive at that flagship level.

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #3,039 of 5,538
I think Vince/@Whitigir was trying to be helpful, and he does gets excited about DAPs, just like we all do :wink: There is a number of choices in WM1AM2 $1.4k price bracket of your limitation, thus you might have more options depending on your requirements (streaming or not, output power, output ports, tonality, etc). N8ii is a top dog now, and it comes with corresponding price tag, though it is still not the most expensive at that flagship level.
Thanks Alex, and yes, that was my intention. There are a lot of competitions in that 1A M2 price range. I would wage on what I need most to choose accordingly. May be my question was too invasive

Apr 21, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #3,040 of 5,538
Its all right now, no hard feelings. My english is limited, so excuse me if people getting a bit confuse reading my post.

Anyway lets get back to the topics, yes options is welcomed, many new released DAP recently and more around the corner, as a consumers i'm excited to see what company like Cayin and others in this market, that's getting more and more competitive, will offer in the future. I think right now Cayin is leading the innovation with N8ii in the DAP market.

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #3,041 of 5,538

And because of my recent expenditure, if i'm going to get a newly released DAP, the WM1AM2 is the only logical option for me, at least for my wallet. Even though i'm still not sure about the SQ of 1AM2, am I going to like it or not.
If you are looking for a tube based DAP the N8ii is the best on the market right now. Nothing comes close. The Sony WM1AM2 is good but IMHO it’s not a major change compared to the old one in terms of the technology. After comparing sounds to the old one most of my friends who like the Sony sound bought the old one and modified it with 4 Gold military standards capacitors and say it sounds better than the new At near half the price. But I understand most people go for the Sony since they like the Sony sound and its a very personal taste. I am curious to know how the SP3000 and the LP7 will be. I am sure they are another street ahead If they get it right.

F26A7DFB-CC77-44B0-84F2-350ACC0760C0.jpeg

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #3,042 of 5,538
If you are looking for a tube based DAP the N8ii is the best on the market right now. Nothing comes close. The Sony WM1AM2 is good but IMHO it’s not a major change compared to the old one in terms of the technology. After comparing sounds to the old one most of my friends who like the Sony sound bought the old one and modified it with 4 Gold military standards capacitors and say it sounds better than the new At near half the price. But I understand most people go for the Sony since they like the Sony sound and its a very personal taste. I am curious to know how the SP3000 and the LP7 will be. I am sure they are another street ahead If they get it right.

F26A7DFB-CC77-44B0-84F2-350ACC0760C0.jpeg
Yes, a modified OG 1A/Z is a much better value here compared to M2.

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #3,043 of 5,538
I am recently starting interested in 1A. But searched online found mixed bag info. Some say Hugo2 is a league above it, and N6ii+R01 is also better. Some say even ZX300 is close to the sound of 1A.

I am totally confused now about 1A. Anyone here want to weigh in to explain what's the sound is? And how exactly the 'sony' sounds?

Apr 21, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #3,044 of 5,538
I am recently starting interested in 1A. But searched online found mixed bag info. Some say Hugo2 is a league above it, and N6ii+R01 is also better. Some say even ZX300 is close to the sound of 1A.

I am totally confused now about 1A. Anyone here want to weigh in to explain what's the sound is? And how exactly the 'sony' sounds?
Hugo 2 is a more powerful DAC + output amp stage, logically it sounds better

N6ii and R01 is also with a much more powerful amp out, logically it is better. Not too sure about that R2R OS topology

ZX300 uses the same S-Master HX, little less output than 1A and with a slightly less quality on the components of the amp circuitry, so it is very close, yes.

Disclosure: house sound will need you to personally listening to different brands to understand. Just from my experiences:

Sony house sound is warmer, good density and liquidity. It is more liquid than most other stuff out there and across the whole spectrum, that covers the whole meaningful bandwidth. Typically, other stuff can only get that liquidity in a small segment, either low / or mid / or highs…etc…and that housing resonances

The only special case here is the N8ii, which is not only liquid for the whole bandwidth, but also very transparent, more neutral with solid state, and tastefully more fluidly with tubes and that sweet/clean tubes distortions. The housing resonances is even better than most that I have observed…tonal balances is surprisingly top tier. If not the best tonal balances ever from any sigma delta that I have heard….including other much more expensive stuff, even desktop.

I keep telling people that if they want something that sound good, good tonal balances will sound good. It is easier said than done. Again, most other stuff can only get a portion of the spectrum to have a good tonal balances….. If they want more power, get an external amplifier according to their needs. The only source that qualifies for all of that is the N8ii. Because the N8ii tonal balances is simply beautiful for the whole bandwidth

Also, digital out from usb C is no jokes!! Down right addictive

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #3,045 of 5,538
Hugo 2 is a more powerful DAC + output amp stage, logically it sounds better

N6ii and R01 is also with a much more powerful amp out, logically it is better. Not too sure about that R2R OS topology

ZX300 uses the same S-Master HX, little less output than 1A and with a slightly less quality on the components of the amp circuitry, so it is very close, yes.

Sony house sound is warmer, good density and liquidity. It is more liquid than most other stuff out there and across the whole spectrum, that covers the whole meaningful bandwidth. Typically, other stuff can only get that liquidity in a small segment, either low / or mid / or highs…etc…and that housing resonances

The only special case here is the N8ii, which is not only liquid for the whole bandwidth, but also very transparent, more neutral with solid state, and tastefully more fluidly with tubes and that sweet/clean tubes distortions. The housing resonances is even better than most that I have observed…tonal balances is surprisingly top tier. If not the best tonal balances ever from any sigma delta that I have heard….including other much more expensive stuff, even desktop.

I keep telling people that if they want something that sound good, good tonal balances will sound good. If they want more power, get an external amplifier according to their needs. The only source that qualifies for all of that is the N8ii.

Also, digital out from usb C is no jokes!! Down right addictive

Really appreciate your comment. Well, yeah, I am mainly looking for a pockatbale solution for iem right now. No doubt N8ii is a TOTL. But hard to put into a pocket. Unless I carry a sling or something which I hate so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back