The Incoherent Rambling Room
Jan 23, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #526 of 1,250

Quote:
Schweet and...what are the headphones in your avatar? And how did those other headphones turn out? Uhh...the ones that were like $20 and looked really simplistic but had fancy names for their drivers.

The ones in my avatar are Coby CV-200's. Pick up a pair of these and a pair of Pioneer SE-MJ2' and see which sounds better, I dare you. My brother thought they sounded nearly identical until the bass line kicked in and then it was Coby for the win! And Pioneer has some ridiculous spec for their frequency response (12Hz-22KHz) and the CV-200's state 20Hz-20KHz.

The Coby's trounce, destroy... whatever you want to call it the Pioneer's in bass and equal them throughout the rest of the spectrum, and like I said, the Coby's are $15 and the Pioneer's are $40-$50.
lol No joke.

Oh, and those Samson PH60's sound better than both the Pioneer's and the Coby's. I like 'em but they won't blow you away - none of these will. The Prodipe's on the other hand...

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #527 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Speaking of Prodipe's - you get yours yet, James???

nope.

my plans changed slightly when i found a hp i wanted in the fs thread at a very nice price. and an amp. 
L3000.gif

Oli, any med or hi -fi can you have tried that you could say it worth the price?

you are always trying budgets phones, does the hi-fi ones are really that disappointing to you?

[size=x-small]I like my Sennheiser's but I've yet to hear a full-sized Sennheiser that I liked.[/size] I REALLY liked the Grado SR[size=10pt]225i & SR325i...  Probably get the 325i or the corasponding Alessandro that ljokerl reccomended at some point. I did not like my Beyer's, I did not like my Shure's, I do not like the Denon's and the B&W's are a freaking joke. Seriously, when you hear something that sounds as good as the Prodipe's for $40 it's hard to pony up $300 for a slightly incremental improvement.[/size]

I think I may buy another pair and put them on tour just so someone... ANYONE believes me about them.

which senn?

and they have to be at least one med or hi -end you liked enough to be OK with the price, there have to!

Huh? They are Senn HD238's on sale at Best Buy for $70.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #528 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Schweet and...what are the headphones in your avatar? And how did those other headphones turn out? Uhh...the ones that were like $20 and looked really simplistic but had fancy names for their drivers.

the ASS1000?

No, the PH60.

Dang too slow.
Quote:
Olimoronio said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Ishcabible said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

The ones in my avatar are Coby CV-200's. Pick up a pair of these and a pair of Pioneer SE-MJ2' and see which sounds better, I dare you. My brother thought they sounded nearly identical until the bass line kicked in and then it was Coby for the win! And Pioneer has some ridiculous spec for their frequency response (12Hz-22KHz) and the CV-200's state 20Hz-20KHz.

The Coby's trounce, destroy... whatever you want to call it the Pioneer's in bass and equal them throughout the rest of the spectrum, and like I said, the Coby's are $15 and the Pioneer's are $40-$50.
lol No joke.

Oh, and those Samson PH60's sound better than both the Pioneer's and the Coby's. I like 'em but they won't blow you away - none of these will. The Prodipe's on the other hand...

Can't seem to find the Coby's, but my friend has the MJ2's and they're pretty okay, well for around $30. And I think I really wanna heaer the Prodipes now...

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #529 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Speaking of Prodipe's - you get yours yet, James???

nope.

my plans changed slightly when i found a hp i wanted in the fs thread at a very nice price. and an amp. 
L3000.gif

Oli, any med or hi -fi can you have tried that you could say it worth the price?

you are always trying budgets phones, does the hi-fi ones are really that disappointing to you?

[size=x-small]I like my Sennheiser's but I've yet to hear a full-sized Sennheiser that I liked.[/size] I REALLY liked the Grado SR[size=10pt]225i & SR325i...  Probably get the 325i or the corasponding Alessandro that ljokerl reccomended at some point. I did not like my Beyer's, I did not like my Shure's, I do not like the Denon's and the B&W's are a freaking joke. Seriously, when you hear something that sounds as good as the Prodipe's for $40 it's hard to pony up $300 for a slightly incremental improvement.[/size]

I think I may buy another pair and put them on tour just so someone... ANYONE believes me about them.

I'd like in on that tour. 
wink_face.gif

But that's really a good idea. I've seen several other review threads where they did tours.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #531 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

the ASS1000?

No, the PH60.

Dang too slow.
Quote:
Olimoronio said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Ishcabible said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

lol No joke.

Can't seem to find the Coby's, but my friend has the MJ2's and they're pretty okay, well for around $30. And I think I really wanna heaer the Prodipes now...

Dang the Coby's are sold out on Amazon and I was going to get a couple more for cheap gifts. The Pioneer's were one of the biggest letdowns I've had in recent memory even though they were only $40.

And I promise just like I told ljokerl about the Maxell DHPii's (only these are better) the Prodipes are The Real Deal Hollyfield.

Quote:
I'd like in on that tour. 
wink_face.gif

But that's really a good idea. I've seen several other review threads where they did tours.

#2 And I like Jame's idea. They're only $40 so if we each pitched $10 it'd be easy. The only reason I don't want to do it is because I'm getting the Prodipe Pro880's at the first of the month and I don't need a house full of Prodipe's lol

We could even hold a drawing )with me excluded since I already own them) Have a mod pick a number or something.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #532 of 1,250
Have you opened them up and try to improve them? I'd be tempted to, but that'd go against my better judgment.

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #536 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Have you opened them up and try to improve them? I'd be tempted to, but that'd go against my better judgment.

I've opened them but no mods yet. To be honest the onlything I think I'll do is spray them with visco-ekastic damping compound (VB Quiet Kote from PartsExpress) and stuff them with real wool batting.

...I've never seen that Quiet Kote stuff before. How well does it work compared to Dynamat?

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #537 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've opened them but no mods yet. To be honest the onlything I think I'll do is spray them with visco-ekastic damping compound (VB Quiet Kote from PartsExpress) and stuff them with real wool batting.

...I've never seen that Quiet Kote stuff before. How well does it work compared to Dynamat?

It works just as good if not better and changes the cup volume less. It's easier too IMO If you can take apart a pair of phones ande tape them up just spray them with two coats and you're good to go. And the reason I say better than Dynamat is because you get full coverage. And cutting little pieces of Dynamat is a PITA. And if I DO want to reduce the cup volume I use vinyl damping sheets from PartsExpress. Thinner, easier to cut and much cheaper.

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #538 of 1,250

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It works just as good if not better and changes the cup volume less. It's easier too IMO If you can take apart a pair of phones ande tape them up just spray them with two coats and you're good to go. And the reason I say better than Dynamat is because you get full coverage. And cutting little pieces of Dynamat is a PITA. And if I DO want to reduce the cup volume I use vinyl damping sheets from PartsExpress. Thinner, easier to cut and much cheaper.

Thanks! I'll have to check that out.

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #539 of 1,250
Vinyl damping sheets...

Cork and soft closed-cell foam used in the electronics industry for sound proofing (the pink ribbon was a gag for some know-it-all who said the JVC HA-RX700's were closed lol)

JVC HA-D700 (my favorite vintage phone) taped up and sprayed with Quiet Kote...

Audio-Technica metal frame sprayed with VB...

I later learned that this was a mistake... at least the way I did it. VB Quiet Kote in the can repels from metal so you need to prime it first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back