The Audio Lounge
Apr 22, 2018 at 7:29 AM Post #6,451 of 36,075
Lol I may still one day
I have just sold one of my kayaks for £250 so i have possibly some extra audio credits .

Awesome, wait no further. Don't bother upgrading to the #1 Metal... Get a tube amp. :p

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #6,453 of 36,075
I think opus1 metal is only slight upgrade to oppy1 possibly a sidegradeish??? And was considering it just because I love the original and there going for peanuts on musicteck.
I'm also considering x7ii and cayin n5ii but these 2 especially cayin n5ii are a bit buggy , also i owned original x7 and it took fiio an age to sort out the firmware so I'm a bit put off for these reasons.
At least I already know that oppy1 and metal are very stable indeed and a few say that they still prefer it over 1s as its not such a warmer signature and sounds more reference .

Decisions .

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:43 AM Post #6,454 of 36,075
I think opus1 metal is only slight upgrade to oppy1 possibly a sidegradeish??? And was considering it just because I love the original and there going for peanuts on musicteck.
I'm also considering x7ii and cayin n5ii but these 2 especially cayin n5ii are a bit buggy , also i owned original x7 and it took fiio an age to sort out the firmware so I'm a bit put off for these reasons.
At least I already know that oppy1 and metal are very stable indeed and a few say that they still prefer it over 1s as its not such a warmer signature and sounds more reference .

Decisions .

I've been stalking you, so I know every DAP you're considering. Unfortunately I can only say that among the list the only other "stable" option is the x7ii as it has been out there in the market for awhile now. I still feel that the #1 to N5ii won't be a significant upgrade as I've been reading some reviews that mention it's probably a 15-20% upgrade? Again, depends on what sound signature you're after as well. With x7ii comes more flexibility as well due to the amp modules, so that's another thing to consider. One thing's for sure, I know you probably won't regret getting the X7ii, the N5ii may give you an itch to upgrade further.

Hope that helps. Btw, you could always get a Valhalla 2 instead. Ya know, save you from all the stress,,,

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #6,455 of 36,075
I've been stalking you, so I know every DAP you're considering. Unfortunately I can only say that among the list the only other "stable" option is the x7ii as it has been out there in the market for awhile now. I still feel that the #1 to N5ii won't be a significant upgrade as I've been reading some reviews that mention it's probably a 15-20% upgrade? Again, depends on what sound signature you're after as well. With x7ii comes more flexibility as well due to the amp modules, so that's another thing to consider. One thing's for sure, I know you probably won't regret getting the X7ii, the N5ii may give you an itch to upgrade further.

Hope that helps. Btw, you could always get a Valhalla 2 instead. Ya know, save you from all the stress,,,

I agree the x7ii is the best of the bunch but I got on the hype train with the original and I have to say I ended up preferring opus 1.
I have been speaking to a few others and one in particular I know who has tried all 3 he recommends x7ii but said the n5ii comes close but it's buggy and x7ii twice the price .
I probably will go with x7ii and return within 30 days if I feel it's on the hype train again .
Also the amp modules from experience (I owned am1 am2 and am3)
I generally will not use, tend to stick to the best all rounder realy it's a pain to keep swapping and to be honest a bit of a cash grab in my opinion, Just put the best all rounder in there in the first place and be done with it! Lol well that's my take on them anyway I'm sure others disagree.

I do understand others may want specific modules for certain things but for my needs it's not necessary .

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #6,457 of 36,075
I agree the x7ii is the best of the bunch but I got on the hype train with the original and I have to say I ended up preferring opus 1.
I have been speaking to a few others and one in particular I know who has tried all 3 he recommends x7ii but said the n5ii comes close but it's buggy and x7ii twice the price .
I probably will go with x7ii and return within 30 days if I feel it's on the hype train again .
Also the amp modules from experience (I owned am1 am2 and am3)
I generally will not use, tend to stick to the best all rounder realy it's a pain to keep swapping and to be honest a bit of a cash grab in my opinion, Just put the best all rounder in there in the first place and be done with it! Lol well that's my take on them anyway I'm sure others disagree.

I do understand others may want specific modules for certain things but for my needs it's not necessary .

I'm in the same boat as you with regards to modules. Just get the best all rounder and be done with it... These guys have too much cash hahaha. Should've snagged one during the AliExpress sale. It was going for $650 new I think.

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #6,458 of 36,075
I'm in the same boat as you with regards to modules. Just get the best all rounder and be done with it... These guys have too much cash hahaha. Should've snagged one during the AliExpress sale. It was going for $650 new I think.

I can get one for about £540 and I may consider buying next week seeing as the kayaks paid for nearly half ...i will have a bit more of a think first though .

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #6,459 of 36,075
I can get one for about £540 and I may consider buying next week seeing as the kayaks paid for nearly half ...i will have a bit more of a think first though .

Definitely, alot of money on the line. All the best for your purchase. :p

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #6,461 of 36,075
20180422_151104.jpg

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #6,465 of 36,075
That's a dab. Even Grammas know! Lol

Noo, DAB is a radio. That's a whole other realm of audiophile discussion lol :p
For the record, I've never tried one. I'm assuming they just provide clear, non-staticky sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back