The Audio Lounge
Feb 4, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #5,341 of 36,128
Oh, and speaking of phones, I just lost my iPhone last week on the London Underground.
Been waiting for TFL (train company) to get back to me, but it seems it was stolen and not handed in :frowning2:
Think I've got another phone here I can use, but no idea what to do regarding the SIM card.
For those in the UK, I'm with Giff-Gaff. Have a backup on iTunes from a couple of months back.
No insurance (it's an iPhone 4s!) and "Find my iPhone" was never switched on.
Can I get a replacement SIM card with the same phone number?
Is there anything I can/should do regarding deleting/locking the old phone?
Off-topic, but I don't know where to turn! Apologies :)
Maybe Apple can block it and turn it into a brick. Someone I used to know had it done. Not sure how though

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #5,342 of 36,128
I've been thinking I'd like to try to find a small portable pair of speakers for use around the house. Something about 15-25cm tall, like computer speakers, but ideally with a woofer built in and no massive extra subwoofer speaker (I want a reasonable amount of non-muddy bass, but no more than that; living in an apartment, don't want to annoy the neighbours with bass thuds and sub-bass) :)

Anyone got any suggestions? Ideally around £50 - £150. Should ideally be ones I can plug in (rather than with batteries) or at least recharge, and be suitable to plug the DX200 into as a source. Possibly the Schitt Modi/Magni combo too, just in case I cave in and get them later too :p

@KEV G when I saw your comment above, I had in my mind exactly what I'm discussing above.
I thought "oh, a set of compact speakers that sound good! With any luck, they'll be cheap too!"
So I googled them, and had to laugh at my hopeless optimism :D
~£2.3K and rather more substantial than the small units I was envisioning! Not that I'd turn down a pair, obviously :p
How about some studio monitors-https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/recording/studio-monitors/
https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/13102214243632--presonus-eris-e45-monitor-pair

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #5,344 of 36,128
Oh, and speaking of phones, I just lost my iPhone last week on the London Underground.
Been waiting for TFL (train company) to get back to me, but it seems it was stolen and not handed in :frowning2:
Think I've got another phone here I can use, but no idea what to do regarding the SIM card.
For those in the UK, I'm with Giff-Gaff. Have a backup on iTunes from a couple of months back.
No insurance (it's an iPhone 4s!) and "Find my iPhone" was never switched on.
Can I get a replacement SIM card with the same phone number?
Is there anything I can/should do regarding deleting/locking the old phone?
Off-topic, but I don't know where to turn! Apologies :)

Ah mate sorry to hear that you lost your phone. Im not too sure about the UK, but where I'm from, your Telco provider can actually disable the first SIM, and port you to a new SIM with the same number.

Also you can contact Apple to help with regards to your phone.

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #5,345 of 36,128
I've been thinking I'd like to try to find a small portable pair of speakers for use around the house. Something about 15-25cm tall, like computer speakers, but ideally with a woofer built in and no massive extra subwoofer speaker (I want a reasonable amount of non-muddy bass, but no more than that; living in an apartment, don't want to annoy the neighbours with bass thuds and sub-bass) :)

Anyone got any suggestions? Ideally around £50 - £150. Should ideally be ones I can plug in (rather than with batteries) or at least recharge, and be suitable to plug the DX200 into as a source. Possibly the Schitt Modi/Magni combo too, just in case I cave in and get them later too :p

@KEV G when I saw your comment above, I had in my mind exactly what I'm discussing above.
I thought "oh, a set of compact speakers that sound good! With any luck, they'll be cheap too!"
So I googled them, and had to laugh at my hopeless optimism :D
~£2.3K and rather more substantial than the small units I was envisioning! Not that I'd turn down a pair, obviously :p
Modhouse Cubes? Though I don't expect them to have all that much bass since they're really small and a single full-range driver; that design combo just doesn't strike me as something that can go all that low. I'm currently rocking Monitor Audio Silver 1s as my computer speakers. These things know how to put out some bass....they're also like $400-500 a pair and not exactly lightweight for moving around :p

Feb 5, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #5,346 of 36,128
I'd suggest the LG V30 as one to look at (through Carphone Warehouse in the UK). Very good phone, excellent battery and the sound with their quad DAC is comparable or better to the mid-tier DAPs I've used recently (Opus #3, Echobox Explorer and a free others). 2Vrms output for driving over ear cans as well in high impedance mode. Actually drive my Elears to full capacity. Very good attempt at a convergence device.
I second this recommendation. Personally made the switch from iPhone 6S to this phone last year and couldn't be happier with it. Android takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've googled things a couple of times you soon start getting used to it.

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #5,347 of 36,128
I second this recommendation. Personally made the switch from iPhone 6S to this phone last year and couldn't be happier with it. Android takes a bit of getting used to, but once you've googled things a couple of times you soon start getting used to it.
That’s always the thing that put me off, getting used to a new os. Seeing how I only use a dap for music, the phone for email, calls and internet mainly for sourcing materials while at work. Oh, and of course Head-Fi :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Not sure if I’d use the V30 for music, kind of like not being interrupted. If it’s important, they can leave a message and I can get more work done, which means more money to spend on the things I keep reading about on this thread. Speaking of which, I better get some work done:joy: I’ll certainly be having a close look at the V30 though. Can’t wait to get off this Apple cart. Thanks

Feb 5, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #5,348 of 36,128
That’s always the thing that put me off, getting used to a new os. Seeing how I only use a dap for music, the phone for email, calls and internet mainly for sourcing materials while at work. Oh, and of course Head-Fi :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Not sure if I’d use the V30 for music, kind of like not being interrupted. If it’s important, they can leave a message and I can get more work done, which means more money to spend on the things I keep reading about on this thread. Speaking of which, I better get some work done:joy: I’ll certainly be having a close look at the V30 though. Can’t wait to get off this Apple cart. Thanks
But why choose a good new working phone and only think Android? Why not consider a dead OS that's really nice? I'm on Windows Phone; love the UI and no problems doing anything within the realm of calls, email, and texting, but anything beyond that is a crapshoot :laughing:. Seriously though, DON'T do this: I strongly advise against using a Windows Phone at this point unless you're exactly like me....in which case, feel free to do it as long as you understand there's barely apps of any worth on it :p. I use a very limited number of apps in general, but luckily, most of the stuff I need does actually function well on here: Exchange, Outlook, Gmail, Teamviewer, MS Remote Desktop, Line messaging, and Slack.

Isine10 is supposed to show up tomorrow. Ugh, such a long wait between now and when I get home after work tomorrow :disappointed:

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #5,349 of 36,128
But why choose a good new working phone and only think Android? Why not consider a dead OS that's really nice? I'm on Windows Phone; love the UI and no problems doing anything within the realm of calls, email, and texting, but anything beyond that is a crapshoot :laughing:. Seriously though, DON'T do this: I strongly advise against using a Windows Phone at this point unless you're exactly like me....in which case, feel free to do it as long as you understand there's barely apps of any worth on it :p. I use a very limited number of apps in general, but luckily, most of the stuff I need does actually function well on here: Exchange, Outlook, Gmail, Teamviewer, MS Remote Desktop, Line messaging, and Slack.

Isine10 is supposed to show up tomorrow. Ugh, such a long wait between now and when I get home after work tomorrow :disappointed:
Might just go for the 1+5, who knows. Anyway, you have to wait until tomorrow, I’ll be waiting two or three weeks until my friend brings back the Vega I have ordered. Saving on the duty this way, maybe the duty can pay for a new phone:wink: Hope you enjoy your delivery tomorrow, early finish on the cards maybe ? Look forward to hearing your thoughts on your purchase :smile_phones:

Feb 5, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #5,350 of 36,128
Might just go for the 1+5, who knows. Anyway, you have to wait until tomorrow, I’ll be waiting two or three weeks until my friend brings back the Vega I have ordered. Saving on the duty this way, maybe the duty can pay for a new phone:wink: Hope you enjoy your delivery tomorrow, early finish on the cards maybe ? Look forward to hearing your thoughts on your purchase :smile_phones:
I mean, that duty could at least be some not insignificant chunk of paying for a new phone, right? :D I should get a new phone too at some point, and I want flagship performance, but just about anything with flagship performance is like 5.5".....I personally hate that trend. May go to iPhone for that reason. Haven't had many issues with iOS, though I haven't been using any of the newer versions cuz my iPod isn't supported.

Nah, I'll be working my normal daily shift, get home sometime between 6-7pm, then rush to the mailbox :p. We'll see what listening time I get since a day after, it'll be a fight for me ears with the Massdrop Plus.

Feb 5, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #5,351 of 36,128
I mean, that duty could at least be some not insignificant chunk of paying for a new phone, right? :D I should get a new phone too at some point, and I want flagship performance, but just about anything with flagship performance is like 5.5".....I personally hate that trend. May go to iPhone for that reason. Haven't had many issues with iOS, though I haven't been using any of the newer versions cuz my iPod isn't supported.

Nah, I'll be working my normal daily shift, get home sometime between 6-7pm, then rush to the mailbox :p. We'll see what listening time I get since a day after, it'll be a fight for me ears with the Massdrop Plus.
I hate it when I have to replace a phone, different story when it comes to a dap or iems.
Hope your shift goes quickly for you, looks like a late night listening :L3000:

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #5,354 of 36,128
So after a few days with the IMR R1:

The good:
  • The sound is what I was expecting from the Icarus IV. A fun, full, wide sound that fits perfectly with the type of music I listen to. More to follow.
  • Comfort in ear is much better than I expected. The weight of the IEM itself is pretty good, I was expecting weightier.
  • Look is great. Love the open-back feature, reduces ear fatigue for me (Less tinnitus reaction)
The bad:
  • These are a little harder to drive than the U8's or the PM6. I'm a little confused at how it's underpowered on my V30 as opposed to the other two. Will have to mess around with that to see what's happening.
  • I really, REALLY do not like the cable. :\ The shrink around it is too bouncy, it doesn't hook behind my ears properly and drives me nuts. I'm gonna attempt to flex the cable so it hooks better. Otherwise, I'm gonna try ear hooks, but I might end up looking for a replacement if it doesn't improve. At least it doesn't communicate vibrations too much.
  • Driver flex?? I put it in my ear and I hear a slight crunch. Not as bad as other cheaper models, but it's there. Anyone else notice this?

Feb 6, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #5,355 of 36,128
So after a few days with the IMR R1:

The good:
  • The sound is what I was expecting from the Icarus IV. A fun, full, wide sound that fits perfectly with the type of music I listen to. More to follow.
  • Comfort in ear is much better than I expected. The weight of the IEM itself is pretty good, I was expecting weightier.
  • Look is great. Love the open-back feature, reduces ear fatigue for me (Less tinnitus reaction)
The bad:
  • These are a little harder to drive than the U8's or the PM6. I'm a little confused at how it's underpowered on my V30 as opposed to the other two. Will have to mess around with that to see what's happening.
  • I really, REALLY do not like the cable. :\ The shrink around it is too bouncy, it doesn't hook behind my ears properly and drives me nuts. I'm gonna attempt to flex the cable so it hooks better. Otherwise, I'm gonna try ear hooks, but I might end up looking for a replacement if it doesn't improve. At least it doesn't communicate vibrations too much.
  • Driver flex?? I put it in my ear and I hear a slight crunch. Not as bad as other cheaper models, but it's there. Anyone else notice this?

They are harder to drive than any of my current IEMs for sure. But when you give them some proper juice, they do some work, lol. As for the driver flex, I only got a tiny bit when they were set to closed and only on the right ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back