The Audio Lounge
Feb 3, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #5,311 of 36,100
http://www.modhouseaudio.com/shp9500-3d-cups/philips-shp9500-3d-printed-cups

Here's the mod I used. Just glue it with cement glue and make sure you have a full seal of glue for the full effect. They also supply a 3D printed ring for 5$ more to mod the pads. :) So 35$ for the mod, the shp9500s is on special sometimes in the 50$ range.
I’ve just shown him, he said “I’m not wearing them with a big L & R on em” then I showed him the mod. He then gave me the “maybe look” I think this is going to be a hard sell. Maybe I’ve bitten off more than I can chew, trying to help a 16 year old choose headphones. He just told me he wants to them to be portable also and definitely not b...s which is plus in my book. Thanks Karenar, keep em coming

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #5,312 of 36,100
I’ve just shown him, he said “I’m not wearing them with a big L & R on em” then I showed him the mod. He then gave me the “maybe look” I think this is going to be a hard sell. Maybe I’ve bitten off more than I can chew, trying to help a 16 year old choose headphones. He just told me he wants to them to be portable also and definitely not b...s which is plus in my book. Thanks Karenar, keep em coming

Yeah, I get it's not the sexiest solution, but price/quality wise it's hard to get something else :)

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16051

The monolith m560's are 50$ off right now, at 150 they're an interesting price for a planar...

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #5,314 of 36,100
Can anyone recommend some full size headphones (closed back) any where around $100.00 My 16 year old son has asked me for some recommendations. He will be using them with an iPhone 6s and a MacBook pro. He wants to pay for them, so he would really like to be under the $100.00 so I guess I won't be buying him the Sennheiser Bubbles or the Camp Fire Crushers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks

Grain Audio OEHP. Just not sure how portable they would be.

Feb 3, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #5,315 of 36,100
I really like my Audio Technica ATH-WS770iS, and they are on sale right now for $82. Good looks, light weight, and a nice warm sound to boot. They can be made to hit really hard with some EQ and amping too. Check the video out below the pic.

61NA2+Wk0eL._SL1000_.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #5,316 of 36,100
This is great fellas, I can see myself ordering a pair if I’m not carful. He’s just popped out, so I’ll be showing him all these wonderful choices you guys are sending. I like the Look of the Fostex, no stop, they’re not for me :triportsad:

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #5,317 of 36,100
This is great fellas, I can see myself ordering a pair if I’m not carful. He’s just popped out, so I’ll be showing him all these wonderful choices you guys are sending. I like the Look of the Fostex.... no stop, they’re not for me:triportsad:

Sorry fellas, I’m using an iPhone 6 and it’s really messed up

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #5,318 of 36,100
With all the recommendations surfacing, makes we wonder about each of them. I picture each one on my head (which is not a good place). I am saving up for a pair of Andromedas. I'm holding any other purchases until I get those. MUST NOT BE TEMPTED...man, this place makes it tough to stay focused...

Kev, good luck in the search. You may inadvertently create a monster in your son...this is the start of the rabbit hole...be careful, the power behind this hobby must be wielded selectively or poor folks are left in its wake.

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #5,319 of 36,100
Well, I just got back from a day of home brewing. Sitting with a great local IPA from Night Shift near the North Shore of Boston. Listening to my U8s on the X5iii. Sunny afternoon, comfy chair, Robert Palmer and his 'trilogy' playing. What could be better?

Best line:
Trying to talk double talk, get myself in trouble talk
Catching myself in lies, catching myself in lies

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #5,320 of 36,100
With all the recommendations, I realised I've never owned a pair of closed back headphones. :O

Feb 3, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #5,321 of 36,100
With all the recommendations surfacing, makes we wonder about each of them. I picture each one on my head (which is not a good place). I am saving up for a pair of Andromedas. I'm holding any other purchases until I get those. MUST NOT BE TEMPTED...man, this place makes it tough to stay focused...

Kev, good luck in the search. You may inadvertently create a monster in your son...this is the start of the rabbit hole...be careful, the power behind this hobby must be wielded selectively or poor folks are left in its wake.
Thanks for the wise words, good luck with saving for the Andromeda. I’ve just finished saving for the Vega, will find out on Monday if my friend will be picking them up for me in the states and bringing them back to the uk.
I think they will be a perfect partner to my Andromeda. The thing with the Andromeda, at first you think, ok not bad and then every time you listen, the smile just gets bigger. Absolutely love em.
As for creating a monster, it’s too late, I’m doomed. Not really, he’s a good kid and way too tight to spend a heap of cash on headphones. Typical skateboarder :joy:
This is indeed a dangerous thread for your wallet and your sanity :L3000:

Feb 3, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #5,323 of 36,100
Thanks for the wise words, good luck with saving for the Andromeda. I’ve just finished saving for the Vega, will find out on Monday if my friend will be picking them up for me in the states and bringing them back to the uk.
I think they will be a perfect partner to my Andromeda. The thing with the Andromeda, at first you think, ok not bad and then every time you listen, the smile just gets bigger. Absolutely love em.
As for creating a monster, it’s too late, I’m doomed. Not really, he’s a good kid and way too tight to spend a heap of cash on headphones. Typical skateboarder :joy:
This is indeed a dangerous thread for your wallet and your sanity :L3000:

Good to hear about the Vega. You'll be in for some great sounds from that. I traded out my Jupiter and have been longing for the Andro. I think they'll complement my 64 U8s.
My guys started out as boarders and have moved upwards. I feel bad for my younger one as the music bug really bit him. The older one is content to listen from his phone and trickle down iems I have...they are both college guys so they have zero cash...trying to teach the value of savings and expectation. Everyone is so instant gratification, hard to teach by example...

Feb 3, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #5,325 of 36,100
Good to hear about the Vega. You'll be in for some great sounds from that. I traded out my Jupiter and have been longing for the Andro. I think they'll complement my 64 U8s.
My guys started out as boarders and have moved upwards. I feel bad for my younger one as the music bug really bit him. The older one is content to listen from his phone and trickle down iems I have...they are both college guys so they have zero cash...trying to teach the value of savings and expectation. Everyone is so instant gratification, hard to teach by example...[/QUOTE
Nobody seems able to save up any more, it’s a buy it now pay later society. Trouble is, you end up still paying it off long after the thing you bought is gone.
People now seem content to listen to crap quality music on an iPod doc or s..tboxes as I’ve heard them called. I have a pair of Harbeth Compact 7 es3 speakers at home and they sound like a giant pair of Andromeda. Every one who here’s them is blown away.
I can understand boarders have cheap earphones, they’re always breaking em and their screens lol.
I gave my eldest son a pair of IT03s, he loves em and wants to get the Ibasso DX200. He’s very content with the IT03, I have a pair also and think they are great.
Hope you boys do well at college, they might treat dad to some nice head gear when they’ve made it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back