The Audio Lounge
Sep 25, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #3,766 of 36,155
I should have gone for the 64 Audio piece when I had the chance, regret not getting something. Will have to wait for it to come around again. By then, I'll be in a better position to buy.

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #3,767 of 36,155
My #1 "desert island" album. She was and is so much more than "Big Yellow Taxi".

I've definitely been in a Joni mood of late.

This is one of my faves:
R-1021887-1221130360.jpeg.jpg

I mean, how GREAT is this??

She has so many albums, and I've honestly only heard a handful of them. I have many years of Jodi discovery and enjoyment ahead of me.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #3,770 of 36,155
Soundmagic was good chifi a couple of years back. I used to own pairs of soundmagic... Today, I couldn't say anymore.
Yeah.. I think I'll pass

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #3,771 of 36,155
Very. I've sold stuff that I've bought before for one reason or another if I didn't have enough reason to keep it. I got the Noble X on the first drop and I'm not selling them.
Same hear, like mine tons, even bought the VE matching cable on Massdrop and waiting for that. I buy way too much stuff on Massdrop for my own good

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:17 AM Post #3,775 of 36,155
Today I’m working 60 feet up on a roof, sun is shining, DX80/Trinity Hyperion listening to this

Perfect day

Are you a roofer now as well? Or do they just have some really hard-to-reach decorating needs? :D

I'd focus a bit more on the detail and separation of the roof tiles than the IEM's if I were in your position :p

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:27 AM Post #3,776 of 36,155
Are you a roofer now as well? Or do they just have some really hard-to-reach decorating needs? :D

I'd focus a bit more on the detail and separation of the roof tiles than the IEM's if I were in your position :p
Lol,I love working at height. Bit of pointing today, might do some painting tomorrow, save the roofing for later in the week. The higher I work, the louder it has to be and the Hyperion are perfect for this kind of work.
Nice and small with just the right amount of punch, Gary Moore this morning, now a bit of Jonny Lang and the sun is still shining :L3000:

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #3,777 of 36,155
Today I’m working 60 feet up on a roof, sun is shining, DX80/Trinity Hyperion listening to this

Perfect day

be safe :)

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #3,778 of 36,155
Who needs a magic flowerpot when you have a mail room in the office... That's this evening's listening taken care of! :wink:

IMG_20170926_132651087_HDR.jpg

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #3,779 of 36,155
I'm having some fun too. Although there's no sunshine and I'm not 60 feet up in the air, but mustn't complain lol :wink:

I've been on something of a musical journey with my equipment. Got the Noble Katana IEM (single ended, stock cable). Absolutely loved them.
Then got the Shozy Alien+ DAP, absolutely loved it.

Then got the iBasso DX200 DAP, the iBasso IT03 IEM's and a balanced cable (followed by the even better iBasso CB13 balanced cable, which for those who care is silver wires and copper wires braided together, as opposed to silver plated copper or similar.
Plus now the iBasso AMP3 for the DX200..

I was blown away by the wide open soundstage of the IT03, but still with terrific bass, detail and clarity (again, using them balanced with the upgraded cable).
IT03 use MMCX connectors, whereas my Katana use 2-pin, so I couldn't try both on the same cable.

To my astonishment, I found my Katanas began to just start gathering dust on the shelf as I turned to the IT03 every day.

I tried A/B testing them as best I could (the DX200 with its default AMP1 has both balanced and single-ended outputs).
The Katanas just sounded quite 'closed in' and compressed, compared with the IT03. I could feel it still was providing certain things in the sound signature that the IT03 weren't (or were doing less), but couldn't really put my finger on it.

I tried switching the IT03 back onto their single ended black stock cables, and then they sounded much closer in quality in comparison.

Meanwhile (back at the ranch), I also discovered that I'd gone off the Alien+.
I love me a transparent, reference sound (and that wide open soundstage) and now compared with the DX200 (using balanced out), it still sounded very good but just a bit V-shaped and less reference sounding.

But now I've got a balanced to SE converter (Eidolic, custom made by Impact Audio, again for those who care) and some MMCX to 2-pin converters.

"Aaaand.. I'm back in the game!" ('Ten Things I Hate About You' movie reference) :D

The only problem is that the MMCX to 2-pin adapters are highly non-ergonomic and make it only really suitable for testing whilst sitting still for short periods.
Really need a 2-pin, 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable. Preferably silver or silver plus copper/gold etc. But no money to buy one :'(

However, suddenly the Katanas are rocking again, soundstage opening up beautifully with the CB13 cable and being able to use them balanced.

The Alien+ sounds like a whole new player; the V-shape is much more subdued and the detail, clarity, soundstage, transparency etc is there in spades.
I've been A/B testing it against my DX200 (AMP3) this morning. On some songs and genres, I feel it actually sounds better (and at half the price!) :)
With the AMP3, DX200 is a bit more warm and organic. That works for some songs, but the more neutral and reference sound of the Alien+ definitely sounds better on others.
We're talking small margins here, but still..

Need to do some more Katana vs IT03 testing too.
This is FUN. It's like Christmas all over again :D

Alien+ photo 1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back