The Audio Lounge
Sep 9, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #3,166 of 36,115
Sep 9, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #3,169 of 36,115
That's a documentary about the history and craft of being a rapper, kind of side-stepping the politics and beefs and whatnot.

And speaking of old legends and documentaries, here is one more.
I think pretty much everyone who likes Soul and Motown and even most who don't, ought to see "Standing in the Shadows of Motown".
The music to pretty much every Motown classic was composed by an unheralded group of jazz and blues musicians called The Funk Brothers.
And up until this film, few people even knew they existed or the colossal impact they had on music.

They've apparently wrote and played the music on more number 1 hits than those of Elvis, the Beach Boys, the Rolling Stones and The Beatles put together.
Something of a hit machine. They got them together decades later and did a reunion concert with guest singers.
Here are some highlights. So much warmth, love, soul and swing in the music and the people.

Quality isn't great on this one, but it's ok. Notice the sax player.. that old dude is on fire :D

The next one is 'What becomes of the broken hearted?'. Ignore the slightly misleading musical intro :wink:

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #3,172 of 36,115
By the way, this will be the last of my documentary posts (90% likely lol), but since I mentioned Grandmaster Caz (a 'founding father' and legend in hip hop) and that I thought Eminem was a genius, I came across these two interviews with Grandmaster Caz just now, who pretty much articulates exactly how I feel about a couple of things! Maybe you can relate?

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #3,173 of 36,115
I'd add that I would probably say there are certainly great lyricists out there in rap today; the world is such a huge place and there's so much media out there, you can't possibly hope to hear more than a tiny percentage of what's out there. So according to the laws of probability alone.. :)

Sep 9, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #3,174 of 36,115
That dude on sax is killing it, lol.

Forgot to add that in fact the relatively poor sound and audio quality on that video significantly diminishes the clarity and the impact (emotional as well as audible) of the sax player.
It sounds a bit muddy and is far too much in the background.
Watch a high quality version of that performance and you'll be doubly blown away. It literally makes me jump up and fist pump every time lol, it's seriously breathtaking :D

Sep 9, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #3,176 of 36,115
IMG_7135.JPG
IMG_7137.JPG
IMG_7139.JPG
IMG_7141.JPG
IMG_7143.JPG
So today we popped into GuitarGuitar, Epsom and let the a couple of the fellas try out the Andromeda. I had to hold my laughter in because as soon as Martin(one of the guys working in the studio department) put the Andromedas in, his face was a picture and when he took them out of his ears I immediately thought of @JaeYoon letting the sales assistant in the Bose store try her Andromeda. The reaction was the same, wide eyed silence and the the other assistant had a listen. His said they make his Shure SE535s sound crap, his words not mine. Here are two guys totally blown away by a product they had never heard of let alone seen. I used the Ibasso DX200 with amp 1, I'll pop back in when I have the amp 3 :ksc75smile: Like I said before, if your in the UK anywhere around London and are into playing guitar, piano, bass, drums or studio equipment, you could do a lot worse than visiting these guys. Great team working there, very knowledgeable and friendly. My happy place :L3000:

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #3,179 of 36,115
You should see the rest of the place, they have a Martin/Taylor room!! £3-4 million in stock, it really is a nice place to be

Lol, I was about to ask about that.. Given the huge "guitarguitar" logos all over the walls, but all I could see was everything but :D
I would love to go there sometime. My acoustic guitar is actually a Martin, but one of the cheaper models (around £770 when I bought it in 2010).
It's beautiful though, and sounds lovely :)
It would probably sound even better if someone with talent played it :wink:

Sep 9, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #3,180 of 36,115
Lol, I was about to ask about that.. Given the huge "guitarguitar" logos all over the walls, but all I could see was everything but :D
I would love to go there sometime. My acoustic guitar is actually a Martin, but one of the cheaper models (around £770 when I bought it in 2010).
It's beautiful though, and sounds lovely :)
It would probably sound even better if someone with talent played it :wink:
Stick a set of these on it, they'll make your old strings sound like £1.99 buds from a market stall
IMG_7153.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back