The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 17, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #7,038 of 18,652
http://www.darty.com/nav/achat/telephonie/accessoire_pour_telephone_mobile/chargeur_pour_telephone_mobile/muvit_c_voy_o_microusbeup2.html

this works to charge dx 50?
thakx

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #7,040 of 18,652
That is not the type of wire I was describing. The DX50 comes with the wire I described above and it is to be used with a coax in amp or external sound system RCA Coax in. The RCA end is the connector that you plug into the coax in of an amp or the coax in of a sound system. The single mono plug connects to the DX50 coax out line. As HiFlight explained, the DX50 is incapable of DAC connectivity from the micro USB output plug.

Can you describe what you are attempting to do?

I am wanting to use my DX50 (not yet arrived) as a digital source into my valve amplifier and it has a mini USB input into its inbuilt DAC.

But finding a cable is proving tricky !!

Because it can't be done. The DX50 does not support USB audio output and you can't convert from coax out to usb out. If you want to use it with your amp, you're going to need a 3.5mm to RCA cable and use the analog output of the DX50.

Hi all
Where i can get ac adapter for dx 50?
thx

Any USB charger will do.

Nov 17, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #7,042 of 18,652
Thank you all
this is helpful
beerchug.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #7,043 of 18,652
Because it can't be done. The DX50 does not support USB audio output and you can't convert from coax out to usb out. If you want to use it with your amp, you're going to need a 3.5mm to RCA cable and use the analog output of the DX50.
Any USB charger will do.

Mahesh, does your amp also have a digital co-ax input socket?
If so it might be possible to use the DAC in your amp after all.
Of course it's possible that Sorensiim simply recognises your amp and already knows that it doesn't have a digital co-ax in socket, in which case his advice is your one and only option and I should not interfere with useless advice which only complicates the matter for you:D

BTW, it's an impressive looking piece of kit, what is it?

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #7,044 of 18,652
second day with DX50, and i love this DAP. listened to a few albums including 24bit recordings and changed IEMs in process.
used Tralucent 1p2, RDB+ v1 and TPeos H200 for audition.

of all IEMs 1p2 excelled the best possible way (sorry for having bias here :)
V1 came a distant second (good overall result)
H200 did not so well and i did not like overall result (was quite opposite of RWAK on which H200 surpassed v1, i suspect RWAK does not like V1 for whatever reason).

material listened (easily find on Youtube):
Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens
Chris Botti - Night Sessions
Celine Dion - The best of Celine Dion & David Foster
Clannad - Nadur

first of all, i found DX50 really effortless in conveying all subtle details to the listener, mind this DX50 is a very musical player too. this will not beat RWAK100 but is very good on its own and an absolute winner for the price.

second, checking Gain switchers i preferred Low Gain as this kept lowest possible noise and clean sound. i tried high gain and mid position but did not like either.

third, operation wise i found no irks... DX50 works well and i was lucky not to have any glitches until present. i set power management to Off, gapless on 5sec, EQ to Custom with all sliders put to Zero, volume at 200-220 depending on recorded material.

all in all DX50 is very organic sounding DAP, plenty of music detail, perhaps amp section on DX50 could be slightly better to help it increase stage height and black space (also to help some dynamics) but for 250$ i have no real complain here.

tried briefly line out of DX50 with IEMs, for me this did not work and made no sense to use with IEMs. will try this for external amping.

i still have to try DX50 with T1 and BH to see if amping makes sense.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #7,045 of 18,652
Sure the QC15s aren't fantastic SQ, but plenty good enough in a plane and I think there's enough reviews and testimonials like mine to verify there is still nothing like their isolation. You can't cut out 100% of sound but it's so unobtrusive you'll wonder why you messed around trying other solutions. Just make sure you carry a spare AAA battery as they won't work at all with a flat battery or without one.

And I agree with you on the multi-CD issue. 01-02 should have priority over 02-01 etc.... I don't name files that way myself but have you checked if you can renumber the track# tag with Mp3tag to see if that works?

Thanks, very helpful feedback on the QCs! :) (especially thanks for warning me against the QC3, I won't touch these then - it explains why so many of them are being sold 2nd-hand on ebay...) - so I'll hunt for some QC15 if my RE-400s + Comply foam tips don't help with the dx50 on my next long travel...

About the track tag renumbering, it didn't work for me (but maby I did the wrong thing).

Now listening to Al Stewart's Uncorked (and just before had some Piazzolla) - sounds great (am still on 1.2.2) :-D

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #7,046 of 18,652
Hard to find because the option doesn`t exist, I think.  You need another device to connect coax digital to usb, some thing like this

16/44 versions are cheapish but 24 bit cost way too much to make it worthwhile, for me.  The lack of a coax-usb solution is the reason I decided not to get the Centrance Hifi M8, which has only optical and usb.   

Btw I have been using my dx50 as a digital transport with my desktop amp/dac and it sounds really really really good ! ! 

I think I am getting closer to understanding the issue. Digital Audio technicalities are not straight forward, well not to me -:)

My understanding in simple terms is that although both "USB Audio" and "SPDIF Coaxial Audio" carry a digital audio stream, they both have their own unique protocols for 'handshaking' between the device outputting the digital audio stream and the device receiving the digital audio stream. You cannot easily interchange between the two of them.

The converters you reference above seem to be USB to SPDIF converters, whereas I need the reverse, although it seems that they aren't available.

This is a shame as part of the reason for buying the DX50 was to be able to use its digital out capabilities, which seemingly I can't unless I buy a system that can accept a coaxial input.

My quest was to improve my 5.5 iPod LOB to Graham Slee Voyager, by improving the source. Should I now reconsider buying the DX50 by replacing by IPOD with a newer one which can allow digital out into a Apple licensed DAC which outputs USB Audio in addition to analogue audio into my Voyager amp. If so I need to decide before 20 Nov when Ibasso are due to ship my order !!

BTW Presumably your mini tube amp has a coaxial input?

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #7,048 of 18,652
I think I am getting closer to understanding the issue. Digital Audio technicalities are not straight forward, well not to me -
smily_headphones1.gif

My understanding in simple terms is that although both "USB Audio" and "SPDIF Coaxial Audio" carry a digital audio stream, they both have their own unique protocols for 'handshaking' between the device outputting the digital audio stream and the device receiving the digital audio stream. You cannot easily interchange between the two of them.

The converters you reference above seem to be USB to SPDIF converters, whereas I need the reverse, although it seems that they aren't available.

This is a shame as part of the reason for buying the DX50 was to be able to use its digital out capabilities, which seemingly I can't unless I buy a system that can accept a coaxial input.

My quest was to improve my 5.5 iPod LOB to Graham Slee Voyager, by improving the source. Should I now reconsider buying the DX50 by replacing by IPOD with a newer one which can allow digital out into a Apple licensed DAC which outputs USB Audio in addition to analogue audio into my Voyager amp. If so I need to decide before 20 Nov when Ibasso are due to ship my order !!

Not straightforward to me, either, but once you dive in there`s really very little that doesn`t make sense.

Don`t regret your choice of the dx50 - it has a great DAC.   And your Graham Slee Voyager has NONE !  The Voyagers`s USB input is only for drawing power, not for imputing musical data.  So you`ll just be using analogue in from the dx50s dac, through either the Headphone socket or the Lineout socket; the latter is noticeably better sounding through my amp and my HD800s. The Voyager`s role will be to provide more/better power to your headphones, but that is all - no digital to analogue activities happening in that box! (If I read the Graham Slee specs correctly, that is)

You won`t regret the improved sound from the dx50 over the iPod, as well as the freedom to use SD cards and drag-drop music files in unlimited formats and resolutions.  It`s a huge step up from iDevice-land.  

And yes, that desktop amp has Coax, Optical and USB interfaces. 

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #7,049 of 18,652
I think I am getting closer to understanding the issue. Digital Audio technicalities are not straight forward, well not to me -
smily_headphones1.gif

Just another suggestion:

I paired the DX50 with the iBasso D12 Anaconda as a digital transport and I could say that the sound was amazing. Out of this stack you could connect the D12 into your tube amp from the tube amp analog in, I assume that your tube amp can do that. This would give you a sound that even an iPod connected to anything cannot match (D12 has double WM8740 DACS paired in a dual mode).

As such the DX50 has a better output than even the iPod Classic 7th gen (I know because I used to own one and sold it because of that).

This is just a suggestion. Note that there might be other amps that could also take the DX50 digital coax in like the Leckerton UHA-6S.MKII.

What' nice about the DX50 is it is pretty flexible and the sound is unbeatable at the price point.

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #7,050 of 18,652

As already mentioned, the Graham Slee Voyager does not have a digital input; its USB port is solely for powering the unit.

I expect the DX50 to sound better than your iPod in this application.  I believe you will be pleased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back