The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #6,991 of 18,652
I'm reverting to 1.2.3b. With 1.2.5, it has started performing a media scan every start up. Never had that problem previously, although I have seen reports that others have had this. As my scans take at lease 20 mins, that is unacceptable at every boot. Anyone else have this issue?

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #6,992 of 18,652
I'm reverting to 1.2.3b. With 1.2.5, it has started performing a media scan every start up. Never had that problem previously, although I have seen reports that others have had this. As my scans take at lease 20 mins, that is unacceptable at every boot. Anyone else have this issue?

Mine also now does a media scan at every boot but it only lasts for 15 sec. The initial re-scan after the update required 15 minutes for a nearly full 64gb card. You might try removing and re-inserting your sd card and acknowledging a Media Scan option if you haven't already done so and see if this cuts down the time at each reboot to a matter of seconds.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #6,993 of 18,652
Yes with 1.2.2 and 1.2.3beta but not with 1.2.5. I did install it from the internal DX50 mem though. Sounds like you need to do it in recovery mode.

I did do the update using the Recovery mode. I will try it again using USB rather than SD card.

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #6,994 of 18,652
Mine also now does a media scan at every boot but it only lasts for 15 sec. The initial re-scan after the update required 15 minutes for a nearly full 64gb card. You might try removing and re-inserting your sd card and acknowledging a Media Scan option if you haven't already done so and see if this cuts down the time at each reboot to a matter of seconds.

Thanks for the tip but I have tried that along with multiple resets and re installation of the firmware. Hence my reversion. All my tracks contain album art so I think that really adds to the scan time.

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #6,995 of 18,652
I did do the update using the Recovery mode.

You mean you did the factory reset through the recovery mode correct. If so, you are all set, the only thing to do is insert the card back and scan the card.

I also have the short scan every time the DX50 is turned on and had it for a long time, at least since 1.2.2. It does not last long tough only 3 to 5 seconds max then it drops home showing me the last tune before I turned it off or gone off automatically.

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #6,996 of 18,652
Have anybody tried DX50 with iGrado?

I use my DX50 with Sennheiser HD-580 at home, and I'm very happy. Now, I'm looking for something to be used together with the player in the office and outdoors. I understand that iGrado will sound worse than HD580. But...

What about iGrado?

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #6,997 of 18,652
I am still unable to accomplish a factory reset using the Settings/Advanced/Factory Reset option. It always hangs up on the "See You Later" screen after I acknowledge the reset confirmation screen. I am running v.1.2.5 final firmware and installed it from an empty SD card. After a long period of time hanging it finally times out and the player shuts off. I am assuming that a factory reset was not accomplished as my play mode, volume and gapless settings are not changed back to the defaults.

Previous versions prior to 1.2.5 would accomplish the factory reset in a very short period of time, usually less than a minute.

Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Other than this, I have experienced no freezes or other abnormalities when using this firmware.

I finally solved this very annoying problem, as it happened even when I reverted back to 1.2.2. Not only could I not do a factory reset from the menu, but I could not do a firmware update either as the firmware update option also hung at the See You Later screen. I had to use the recovery program via SD card to make all of my firmware changes while trying to troubleshoot the problem.

I finally re-installed the latest v1.2.5 and after the reboot, prior to any media scanning or use of the player, I did a recovery mode "Wipe Data/Factory Reset. This restored normal use of the menu Factory Reset option. What caused the initial problem I don't know nor do I know how the Wipe Data/Reset fixed it, as these are, I think, automatically done during a firmware update. It seems like "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" is the magic bullet that will cure many ills.

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #6,998 of 18,652
I finally solved this very annoying problem, as it happened even when I reverted back to 1.2.2. Not only could I not do a factory reset from the menu, but I could not do a firmware update either as the firmware update option also hung at the See You Later screen. I had to use the recovery program via SD card to make all of my firmware changes while trying to troubleshoot the problem.

I finally re-installed the latest v1.2.5 and after the reboot, prior to any media scanning or use of the player, I did a recovery mode "Wipe Data/Factory Reset. This restored normal use of the menu Factory Reset option. What caused the initial problem I don't know nor do I know how the Wipe Data/Reset fixed it, as these are, I think, automatically done during a firmware update. It seems like "Wipe Data/Factory Reset" is the magic bullet that will cure many ills.

That's exactly what I told you to do, hence why I asked if you did a recovery mode factory reset which wipes/reformat the dap file system. I do it every time I upgrade, I never go onto the menu factory reset. After it's done I perform the microSD scan and it's back to ship shape.

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #6,999 of 18,652
Man I love this player! Batch six now on 1.2.5 and all is still well. I can't say that I can hear any SQ changes between FW's, it just sounds great. I still get a media scan on power up but only for about 15 or 30 seconds.  

I just figured out that the Album, Artist and Genre options are the last three on the "My Music" page.  I guess I never scrolled down to see those!  I thought the sort options under "All Music" was supposed to show those and I thought my library wasn't scanning to see that.  Nice to see an album view with artwork. 

24 bit ALAC files still show up as 32 bit. oh well.

I'm listening with Sony MDR-V6's right out of the HO on high gain.  Pretty good to my ears. Anyone else using these?  How about the Beyerdynamic Custom Pro Ones? I'd be curious to hear how they sound on the DX50.  

Cheers.
Scott

Nov 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #7,000 of 18,652
The coax has the 3.5 mm plug (tip and sleeve connector) going into the DX50 and the other end is an RCA plug.

The following vendor seems to offer a wide variety of interconnect cables of very good quality. I saw someone on head-fi mentioning it, they are based in Singapore. They can fashion cables to your own specifications. Drop them a message to discuss your needs.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/affinitycables/m.html?item=181137237852&pt=US_MP3_Player_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2a2c9ee75c&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Thanks.

After many hours searching - I think I gave found the right one :

http://pages.ebay.com/link/en/landing_page_iPad.html?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fpages.ebay.com%2Flink%2F%3Fnav%3Ditem.view%26id%3D141110008013%26globalID%3DEBAY-GB

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #7,001 of 18,652
Thanks.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/en/landing_page_iPad.html?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fpages.ebay.com%2Flink%2F%3Fnav%3Ditem.view%26id%3D141110008013%26globalID%3DEBAY-GB

I don't think that will work...the TRRS plug is not what is on the DX50 coax cable. The included coax cable has a single mono 3/8" (3.5 mm) miniplug on the DX50 end and a single RCA male on the DAC end. Perhaps I misunderstand what you are attempting to do, but the DX50 cannot function as an outboard DAC from a computer USB port. If you are attempting to use your DX50 as a transport to an external (desktop) DAC, the cable you show will not work. You will need the cable that is included with the DX50 or one like it.

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #7,002 of 18,652
That's exactly what I told you to do, hence why I asked if you did a recovery mode factory reset which wipes/reformat the dap file system. I do it every time I upgrade, I never go onto the menu factory reset. After it's done I perform the microSD scan and it's back to ship shape.

I misunderstood what you were suggesting, but you are quite correct. A wipe/reset from the recovery mode should correct for leftover bits and pieces that can cause unwanted actions. If I had done that when I first discovered the problem with the menu option factory reset and firmware update, it would have saved me several hours of fruitless efforts.

I much appreciate your input!

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #7,003 of 18,652
I misunderstood what you were suggesting, but you are quite correct. A wipe/reset from the recovery mode should correct for leftover bits and pieces that can cause unwanted actions. If I had done that when I first discovered the problem with the menu option factory reset and firmware update, it would have saved me several hours of fruitless efforts.

I much appreciate your input!

no problems, glad to help.

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #7,004 of 18,652
Thanks.

That is not the type of wire I was describing. The DX50 comes with the wire I described above and it is to be used with a coax in amp or external sound system RCA Coax in. The RCA end is the connector that you plug into the coax in of an amp or the coax in of a sound system. The single mono plug connects to the DX50 coax out line. As HiFlight explained, the DX50 is incapable of DAC connectivity from the micro USB output plug.

Can you describe what you are attempting to do?

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #7,005 of 18,652
Also upgraded to FW 1.2.5. After stupidly wrangling with the media scanning due to not being to read the instructions correctly, I got it to work. Just have to get used to the short media scanning when I turn it on. I'll also have to look into a case as well. We'll see about the silicone ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back