The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #6,976 of 18,652
Nov 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #6,980 of 18,652
one silly observation i make immediately after taking DX50 out for a few songs. somehow, do not know why, but i prefer EQ engaged and set to Custom with all freq. sliders put to zero... sounds more natural and less aggressive than Eq. Off which adds some slight harshness cast to the sound. DX50 sound signature clearly different to AK100... no conclusion here and i am not sure if i can make a good one comparison since they put slightly different emphasis on music. DX50 feels effortless in detail retrieval, sometimes it can get bit too aggressive on this too. this baby clearly leans towards cold analytical audiophile sound presentation, if there is even a subtle detail DX50 will find it and deliver.... however... however, where DX50 somewhat compromises is some tonality fullness and dynamics, a bit harsher harmonic edges for me.

if you ask me how happy i feel about DX50 i would tell - damn i am pretty happy. and if you ask me if DX50 is worth its asking price my answer would be Absolutely Positive.
i just pray i do not get into freezes and else but so far i am very conservative user and do not do things that would be unnecessary, so i hope it will work for me.

that's all for now... and i still need to do some critical audition but my first experience is highly positive.

ah.... yes, forgot to tell, i liked DX50 on low gain switch better than high-gain which i found too dirty and lacking black background.... sorry here.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #6,981 of 18,652
  one silly observation i make immediately after taking DX50 out for a few songs. somehow, do not know why, but i prefer EQ engaged and set to Custom with all freq. sliders put to zero... sounds more natural and less aggressive than Eq. Off which adds some slight harshness cast to the sound. DX50 sound signature clearly different to AK100... no conclusion here and i am not sure if i can make a good one comparison since they put slightly different emphasis on music. DX50 feels effortless in detail retrieval, sometimes it can get bit too aggressive on this too. this baby clearly leans towards cold analytical audiophile sound presentation, if there is even a subtle detail DX50 will find it and deliver.... however... however, where DX50 somewhat compromises is some tonality fullness and dynamics, a bit harsher harmonic edges for me.

if you ask me how happy i feel about DX50 i would tell - damn i am pretty happy. and if you ask me if DX50 is worth its asking price my answer would be Absolutely Positive.
i just pray i do not get into freezes and else but so far i am very conservative user and do not do things that would be unnecessary, so i hope it will work for me.

that's all for now... and i still need to do some critical audition but my first experience is highly positive.

ah.... yes, forgot to tell, i liked DX50 on low gain switch better than high-gain which i found too dirty and lacking black background.... sorry here.

Don't worry about freezes. I got my DX50 starting at 1.2.2. It only freeze on me once and that was the first time I turn it on coz I was very quick pushing all buttons and not used to the delay response/feedback of the buttons.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #6,982 of 18,652

If you use IEM, You can also try plugging directly to the LO port :)

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #6,983 of 18,652
My portable and home setups, about to be transported to my work setup. I fabricated a few connectors during the week from new and old plugs alike. I guess I can call that reuse. :)

Now if I can only get this silicon case so that the dap can be properly dressed up for the coming winter. :D

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #6,984 of 18,652
nice setup.

Xnu, is there danger IEMs get stressed from line out?

as regards DX50 vs. RWAK100 i would say DX50 sounds like glass clean frosty air on a sunny winter morning... and RWAK is more akin a fresh autumn sea morning breeze ... both are excellent. RWAK is more harmonic organically refined, DX50 is more sharp analytical.

for the money DX50 is no brainer IMHO so good it is. i just hope iBasso sorts out firmware issues and we will enjoy many happy ours of music listen.

must i mention i feel excited or is this until the first glitch occurs? 
tongue.gif

so far so happy i am 
L3000.gif
 when home will have more time for pairing and listening.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #6,985 of 18,652
Thanks.

It's a general consensus that everyone who has listened to the DX50 feels it to be a decent player. It has its quirks like any other but once you let it play, you can really get immersed in the music and forget very quickly the pain that you have been through.

Now this is just me personal opinion and likes; I have played with the iPhone and DX50 alone and through amps. My take out of it is:
If we could only get a player that has the low and lower mids of the DX50 with the upper mids and highs of the iPhone (Cirrus Logic DAC) this would be the ultimate player sound wise. Here you go, I had to say it.
beyersmile.png

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #6,986 of 18,652
  Thanks.

It's a general consensus that everyone who has listened to the DX50 feels it to be a decent player. It has its quirks like any other but once you let it play, you can really get immersed in the music and forget very quickly the pain that you have been through.

Now this is just me personal opinion and likes; I have played with the iPhone and DX50 alone and through amps. My take out of it is:
If we could only get a player that has the low and lower mids of the DX50 with the upper mids and highs of the iPhone (Cirrus Logic DAC) this would be the ultimate player sound wise. Here you go, I had to say it.
beyersmile.png

i am afraid this is just a nice dream. even in high-end where many offerings and state of the art gear are available there is no consensus.
actually i feel happy owning both RWAK and DX50 now. is Calyx DAP my next stop? i hold my breath.

Nov 16, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #6,987 of 18,652
i am afraid this is just a nice dream. even in high-end where many offerings and state of the art gear are available there is no consensus.
actually i feel happy owning both RWAK and DX50 now. is Calyx DAP my next stop? i hold my breath.

If the DX50 was not in the picture, the RWAK100 or better still RWAK120 would have been in my want list, but the cost was just too much for me to bear however with the specs of the Calyx dap, it might be more bearable. I have the exact same expectation than you. I heard so many good things about the Sabre dac that now I really want to find out if this is true. Somehow I feel that this dac might possess the better of the two. We'll have to see and by the sound of it, that will be way way in the future.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #6,988 of 18,652
If the DX50 was not in the picture, the RWAK100 or better still RWAK120 would have been in my want list, but the cost was just too much for me to bear however with the specs of the Calyx dap, it might be more bearable. I have the exact same expectation than you. I heard so many good things about the Sabre dac that now I really want to find out if this is true. Somehow I feel that this dac might possess the better of the two. We'll have to see and by the sound of it, that will be way way in the future.

they are different animals, i am afraid linear comparison is not possible here. RWAK100 sounds more organic, stage layering is superb and stage remains blacker... DX50 excels in analytics and detail, and is crisp sounding. if i would have to tell them apart in example i would say RWAK is more closer to tube rig setup while DX50 is closer to good solid state rig, each has its good and bad. still i believe RWAK will be overall better DAP but it must at 900$ price tag. DX50 at 250$ is NO brainer and i cannot see a single reason why not have this.

yes, agree about Calyx, my expectations fly so high that i scare myself 
wink_face.gif

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #6,989 of 18,652
I am still unable to accomplish a factory reset using the Settings/Advanced/Factory Reset option. It always hangs up on the "See You Later" screen after I acknowledge the reset confirmation screen. I am running v.1.2.5 final firmware and installed it from an empty SD card. After a long period of time hanging it finally times out and the player shuts off. I am assuming that a factory reset was not accomplished as my play mode, volume and gapless settings are not changed back to the defaults.

Previous versions prior to 1.2.5 would accomplish the factory reset in a very short period of time, usually less than a minute.

Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Other than this, I have experienced no freezes or other abnormalities when using this firmware.

Nov 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #6,990 of 18,652
I am still unable to accomplish a factory reset using the Settings/Advanced/Factory Reset option. It always hangs up on the "See You Later" screen after I acknowledge the reset confirmation screen. I am running v.1.2.5 final firmware and installed it from an empty SD card. After a long period of time hanging it finally times out and the player shuts off. I am assuming that a factory reset was not accomplished as my play mode, volume and gapless settings are not changed back to the defaults.

Previous versions prior to 1.2.5 would accomplish the factory reset in a very short period of time, usually less than a minute.

Anybody else experiencing this issue?

Other than this, I have experienced no freezes or other abnormalities when using this firmware.

Yes with 1.2.2 and 1.2.3beta but not with 1.2.5. I did install it from the internal DX50 mem though. Sounds like you need to do it in recovery mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back