The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 14, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #6,736 of 18,652
Bebop
Lol i didnt really mean to quote that in the post , things happen when you write on the phone ;D although it was somehow related.
So you bought the DX50 expecting good sound, got good sound but thought it was a waste using it portable. Why not just keep it as your desktop/portable if you enjoy the hifi sound at home.

True i might keep it as a line out source but i just cant figure out one thing . When you connect the dx50 to a portable amp you just use a normal small cable , but desktop amps have 2 inputs for 2 channels if you know what i mean , the White And red ones , where can i buy a good cable to connect a dx50 to Lets Say a bottlehead crack or schiit Lyr amp

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #6,737 of 18,652
Bebop
Lol i didnt really mean to quote that in the post , things happen when you write on the phone ;D although it was somehow related.
True i might keep it as a line out source but i just cant figure out one thing . When you connect the dx50 to a portable amp you just use a normal small cable , but desktop amps have 2 inputs for 2 channels if you know what i mean , the White And red ones , where can i buy a good cable to connect a dx50 to Lets Say a bottlehead crack or schiit Lyr amp

something like this
http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-3-5mm-Stereo-Audio-Cable/dp/B008UG6GCC/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1384420979&sr=8-15&keywords=rca

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #6,738 of 18,652
I'm a week down the road with my DX50 and couldn't be happier. No issues at all, I have stuck with firmware 1.2.2 and it is fine.

If ibasso could add scrolling text so you can read the full track title I would be a happy camper but, I am not complaining here, the sound is just lush. My KEF M500's are getting some serious headtime here.

beyersmile.png

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #6,741 of 18,652
My Desktop office rig for today :

DX50 -> O2 Amplifier -> Sennheiser Momentum :)

Extremely impressed with this set-up. Just need to look at getting a new Cable to connect DX50 to O2, current one is OK but at about 3m long is a bit unmanageable. Something about 25 to 30cm would be ideal.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #6,742 of 18,652

DX50 -> O2 Amplifier -> Sennheiser Momentum
smily_headphones1.gif

Extremely impressed with this set-up. Just need to look at getting a new Cable to connect DX50 to O2, current one is OK but at about 3m long is a bit unmanageable. Something about 25 to 30cm would be ideal.

Do you think the Momentums benefit that much from an amp?

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #6,743 of 18,652
I enjoy Kenny G a lot, if it is an infection, then i am not asking for any medication. Problem is the same song keeps on popping up almost every time an album (any album) finish, which tends to irritate me. Or the player is so smart to know I like Kenny G, that is why it is playing my favourite tune automatically?? eemm...........

You have to choose play by album or artist. Make sure you let DX50 completed scanning the SDcard for media. The play by folder function is rather limited.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #6,744 of 18,652
DX50 -> O2 Amplifier -> Sennheiser Momentum
smily_headphones1.gif

I had one of this made just for this purpose. DX50 to a desktop amp.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #6,745 of 18,652
Do you think the Momentums benefit that much from an amp?

To my ears the Momentums sound good directly out of the DX50 set to high gain and with volume set to about 210. I am certainly not disappointed with the sound, however I do find that they can sound a little congested on some albums and tracks.

Connected to the O2 I find you get a wider soundstage and better dynamics.....bass has a bit more slam and generally an overall improvement in the sound.

If I am out and about then I wouldn't tend to amp the DX50 and just use directly with the Momentums or my AUD-8x customs. if I'm in the office (most days) then I will connect to the O2 and if I am at home then I will use my JDS C5 (when it arrives).

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #6,746 of 18,652

DX50 -> O2 Amplifier -> Sennheiser Momentum :)

If you want to stack DX50 on top of O2, you will need an LOD cable at least 10cm in length. Preferably both ends have right-angled connector.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #6,748 of 18,652
If you want to stack DX50 on top of O2, you will need an LOD cable at least 10cm in length. Preferably both ends have right-angled connector.

I'm actually not looking to stack the DX50 on top of the O2.....hence why I want a longer cable that can sit next to me and allow easy access and control to the DX50. Want to be able to pick up the DX50 when I want to change albums etc.

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #6,750 of 18,652
To my ears the Momentums sound good directly out of the DX50 set to high gain and with volume set to about 210. I am certainly not disappointed with the sound, however I do find that they can sound a little congested on some albums and tracks.

Connected to the O2 I find you get a wider soundstage and better dynamics.....bass has a bit more slam and generally an overall improvement in the sound.

If I am out and about then I wouldn't tend to amp the DX50 and just use directly with the Momentums or my AUD-8x customs. if I'm in the office (most days) then I will connect to the O2 and if I am at home then I will use my JDS C5 (when it arrives).

Thanks for that. A few days ago I've noticed that changing the gain from mid to high (and lowering to aprox. the same volume afterwards...) I get more detail on the latter.
I guess the battery consumption will suffer significantly with this setting...

Anyway, my point is that even with a low impedance headphone you will never know when it will stop improving through updates in amp quality/power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back