The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 14, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #6,751 of 18,652
Is anyone using a DX50 with a 64GB card filled with ALAC music files?  If so, is there some kind of best practice for filling the card so that the player can read the  files in it?

The reason i ask is - the first time, i dumped 60 gigs of music onto the card and put it in the player, and the player only recognized about 15-20 albums at most.

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #6,752 of 18,652
Is anyone using a DX50 with a 64GB card filled with ALAC music files?  If so, is there some kind of best practice for filling the card so that the player can read the  files in it?

I have a 64mb card full of ALAC files. So far no issues. Just make sure you let DX50 scan all your files. If possible make sure you have properly tagged all your files.

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #6,753 of 18,652

I have ALAC files on one of my SD Cards and I have just copied them across from my iTunes library file having made no amendments to the tags from when they were imported.......I have been using these for the last month with no problems......album art displays and all files seem to,play ok showing artist, song and album.

Hope that helps

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #6,754 of 18,652
Hi all

I started my current obsession on the hifi upgrade path when I decided to replace my 30 year old Sansui receiver with a tube amplifier 18 months ago. Tube rolling to GEC used old stock followed, & then new speakers, cables etc.

Then I started on my portable gear by buying the Graham Slee Voyager headphone amp, through the line out on a 5.5 gen ipod. I use UE Super Fi Pro most of the time during my daily commute. BTW the great thing about the Voyager apart from the sound is the 50 hour plus plus plus battery life

(I also recently bought Sennheiser HD 600s for home use, but please ignore this headphones when answering my questions below).

In looking for the Sennheiser headphone, I started to browse through Head FI.....

The Ipod 5.5 has a good DAC and it is combined with the Voyager which provides a good result but my thoughts have turned towards improving the source. So could I digitise the output from the Ipod and use CL ALO solo for example. Well it appears not, unless I buy a newer Ipod.

So my thoughts turn towards a new player/amp - and I see this huge thread on the DX50.

I would welcome your thoughts on:

1. Will the DX50 sound better than my current set up?
2. Will the DX50 plus Voyager sound better than my current set up?
3. Do I need to worry about the low impedance on my UE FI Pros and hissing? I do have a volume attenuator which will increase impedance?
4. Presumably I can use the DX50 coaxial output into the USB DAC input port of my tube amplifier (which has a DAC built in).
5. Forget the above ! And go for newer ipod, digitise the output & put a Cypher Labs ALO on the it, then into the Voyager.

I must say that I have really enjoyed reading the many various threads on the forum and it has helped my understanding how digital hifi works and the large number of options possible!!

Many thanks for your help. All thoughts welcomed.

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #6,755 of 18,652
I don't want to take the thread in a different direction but I figured everyone would like to know when the new firmware 1.2.3 (not beta) would be released. I sent iBasso an email inquiring about the release date of the new firmware 1.2.3 yesterday. Here is a copy of their reply:

iBasso Audio
Today at 3:12 AM

Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We will release the new firmware tomorrow.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #6,757 of 18,652
Hope the new firmware dun sound like 1.2.3beta..

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #6,758 of 18,652
1. Will the DX50 sound better than my current set up?
2. Will the DX50 plus Voyager sound better than my current set up?
3. Do I need to worry about the low impedance on my UE FI Pros and hissing? I do have a volume attenuator which will increase impedance?
4. Presumably I can use the DX50 coaxial output into the USB DAC input port of my tube amplifier (which has a DAC built in).
5. Forget the above ! And go for newer ipod, digitise the output & put a Cypher Labs ALO on the it, then into the Voyager.

DX50 sounds better IMO. Has stong output, you really don't need a separate amp with DX50 and low impedance cans. It can even drive a planar type like Fostex T50RP decently, on high gain. 

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #6,759 of 18,652
  ...thats how play-by-folder works. When it's done with a folder, it stops playing. You might want to look into the database options... I love play-by-artist 
beerchug.gif

Hi Sorensiim, this post prompted be to take a closure look at the directory option and I found that if you click on the Artis Icon, [furthest left, to the left of the Artist name] you're presented with three options, 'Play', 'Add to Playlist', and 'Delete'.  Selecting play puts all tracks by that artist (as per the database) into the now playing list, HOWEVER, it randomises the list with no way of listing them in order of tack/album.  Could you confirm if this happens for you, if so, do you know a way around it - I have tried adding it to a playlist but it adds them in an adhoc order too. 

Thanks

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #6,760 of 18,652
does anyone actually use playlist in DX50? you cant rename it, u cant backup ur playlist, everytime u reset (FW update or the device is not stable) it, ur playlist is gone. I tried to use it, but it is just pointless

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #6,761 of 18,652
I have the dx50, akg550 and westone 4r. Both phones play loud enough on all 3 gain position. Please tell me what gain position would be better to use, what about sound quallity and battery life will be according to different gain?

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #6,762 of 18,652
I have the dx50, akg550 and westone 4r. Both phones play loud enough on all 3 gain position. Please tell me what gain position would be better to use, what about sound quallity and battery life will be according to different gain?

I use the Line Out with my Westone 4Rs when I'm not using my JDS Labs C5.

When I was using the headphone out I would use low gain, both options sound great to me

Nov 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #6,765 of 18,652
Hi,
Just got my dx50,
How long does it takes to update from v 2.0.0  to v 2.2.2 ?

It just stays at "Find and check Firmware"

Thanks

Forever because there isn't such a thing as version 2.x.x at least not to a near future. :wink:

Version is 1.2.0 to 1.2.2 should be relatively quick I'd say few minutes except for the scan.

Please any DX50 new owners, consult the FAQ thread for initial info before you ask any questions.
It's on page 1 of this thread. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back