The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #4,968 of 18,652
  I bought it directly from the company in Shenzhen but here is the eBay link for overseas:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SDHCSD-card-to-micro-SD-TF-extension-adapter-FPC-cable-for-mobile-phone-/221149974785

Thanks for that! For now, I'm doing fine with 64gb but that adapter would fit pretty well sandwiched between the DX50 and an amp...

Edit: Kingston 128gb SDXC cards are actually cheaper than I expected, but only 10mb/s so loading it will take some time. 128gb Sandisk Extreme clocks in at 45mb/s but are nearly twice as expensive. Sandisk Ultra at 30mb/s looks like the best price/performance ratio for 128gb cards for now.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4,970 of 18,652
I have been following this thread for some time now, however I feel compelled now to make an account and post.  :)

I have a batch 5 dx50 that came with 1.2.0 firmware.  

Love the way it sounds, however...

- It has randomly wanted to freeze up in the middle of playing a song from time to time.  The freeze then turns into a system reboot and I can then proceed to do what I was doing.  I've only ever been using my android phone for playing back music before, and the stability on the phone definitely wins over.  

- Album looks rather crappy.  I did go through to ensure I have at least 500x500 resolution album art for everything so it looks amazing on HD computer monitors.  This device has such a low resolution screen, and apparently poor image resize algorithms.  I guess it's nice that it reads the album art, but at the quality of which it does so I wouldn't mind if it never did.  lol

- The dedicated line-out is not statically set to a volume of 255. 

Upgraded to firmware 1.2.2...

- The device still freezes randomly.  Sometimes can go several hours, sometimes not even half way through a single album before freezing up and requiring a restart.  What's most annoying about this is that it reboots to the last song I was playing when I last successfully shut down, so it doesn't remember what it was playing when it froze so won't continue where it left off.

- Many people mentioning that the scanning feature works better and stops prompting to scan the sd card.  I, however, can't get it to stop scanning the SD card.  Every time I turn it on it spends at least 30 - 40 seconds 'scanning media', despite having successfully scanned my entire 64 gb card for about 10 minutes.  On firmware 1.2.0 the initial boot 'scan media' was only like 5 seconds, so now the time has significantly increased to boot the thing up and start playing something.  How are you people getting it to not scan media?  I would really like to know.  lol

- The firmware upgrade in itself went flawless, first attempt.  Performed a factory wipe after it completed, and did so again trying to make sure I didn't mess up the initial media scan function the first time.  

- Sounds exactly the same to me.  Which ultimately means, it sounds awesome on either firmware.

Final thoughts...

- Can I get this thing to stop freezing ??

- If iBasso would set the line-out to a static volume of 255  while leaving the headphone out precisely where you had the volume at originally, this would make this thing significantly more awesome.  Otherwise it's too much of a hassle raising the volume to 255, plugging it into my car, and remembering to turn the volume down to a normal level before using headphones again.

- Please make it stop scanning media

- It's such a lovely device, but the freezing in particular is making me rather upset. 

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4,971 of 18,652
FWIW

My research indicates there isn't a made in Japan Samsung OEM battery variant per se. Instead there are cells made in Japan where final assembly was either in Korea or China.

Further, my minimal knowledge about batteries prove that any battery, "authentic" or "fake", should produce the same output (or very similar) when fully charged - therefore yielding the same DAP performance. The real difference is in sustaining output as the charge dwindles.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #4,972 of 18,652
  Thanks for that! For now, I'm doing fine with 64gb but that adapter would fit pretty well sandwiched between the DX50 and an amp...

if there is a micro usb card reader like this one than the dx50 will be a god tier player. 2tb+2tb can store the whole world inside this tiny dap.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #4,973 of 18,652

- If iBasso would set the line-out to a static volume of 255  while leaving the headphone out precisely where you had the volume at originally, this would make this thing significantly more awesome.  Otherwise it's too much of a hassle raising the volume to 255, plugging it into my car, and remembering to turn the volume down to a normal level before using headphones again.

- It's such a lovely device, but the freezing in particular is making me rather upset. 

• Are your tags in order? Album, artist, track etc. 
  • Are your files named reasonably, i.e. without special characters in the file name?
  • Is there any sort of rhyme or reason to when these freezes occur, like are there particular files that trigger the freeze?
  • Whoops, what sort of files are you using? Flac, Mp3, Wav, Aiff, Ogg?

Regarding the lineout, I'd love an option to lock the output independently of the headphone volume. But having variable lineout can be a good thing when used with amps whose gain setting is a bit too high. Instead of replacing your amp, you just lower the source volume. Depends on your usage pattern I guess.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #4,974 of 18,652
since i paid DX50 today i am facing new challenge now how to present DX50 to my wife? sadly she is knowledgeable in gear, do not take your wife to gear shop or she will learn some things and you will have no chance fool her around, mine even can tell apart tube and solid state amps. i am in trouble :deadhorse: :o2smile:

You reckon you have trouble... My wife AKA Minister of War or Finance depending on day, found my list of gear.... I get shot at Dawn!!! :cool:

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #4,975 of 18,652

• Are your tags in order? Album, artist, track etc. 
  • Are your files named reasonably, i.e. without special characters in the file name?
  • Is there any sort of rhyme or reason to when these freezes occur, like are there particular files that trigger the freeze?
  • Whoops, what sort of files are you using? Flac, Mp3, Wav, Aiff, Ogg?

Regarding the lineout, I'd love an option to lock the output independently of the headphone volume. But having variable lineout can be a good thing when used with amps whose gain setting is a bit too high. Instead of replacing your amp, you just lower the source volume. Depends on your usage pattern I guess.

1.  The tags are all good.  Actually quite perfect, I get irritated with messy tags lol.  
2.  Pretty much the only characters that exist in tracks is either a : or a -    
3.  Not that I have found.  However in the past hour it has frozen twice while playing one album, however both times on different tracks.  After it freezes, I can go back and play the song it froze on from the beginning and it can play through it all the way just fine.  So it's not particular tracks that consistently cause it to freeze, just random tracks, and when it wants to freeze.  However, I certainly wish I could find some common ground.
4.  100% flac on a sandisk 64 gb microsd card, that as far as I can tell, works perfectly.  Most of the audio is 16 bit 44.1 khz quality, one album 24 bit 48 khz, and one album 24 bit 96 khz.  The freezing occurs on any quality file.  

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #4,976 of 18,652

Final thoughts...

Freezing: There is something wrong with your installation (unlikely since it didn't help to run the update), some corrupted file (try a factory reset from recovery - if that doesn't work, use a program like PerfectTUNES to scan your library for corrupted music files - I have found that I've had corrupted files that cause a problem in some DAPs, but not others), if that doesn't help, it's hardware :/

Media scanning: Please don't make it stop, I want to make sure my media is indexed properly!

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #4,977 of 18,652
  Edit: Kingston 128gb SDXC cards are actually cheaper than I expected, but only 10mb/s so loading it will take some time. 128gb Sandisk Extreme clocks in at 45mb/s but are nearly twice as expensive. Sandisk Ultra at 30mb/s looks like the best price/performance ratio for 128gb cards for now.

I bought this one on a recommendation of high compatibility with challenged devices. It has indeed works perfectly with both Hifiman and iBasso DAPs. Not sure how $100 rates as a price though.

PNY SDXC Class 10 High Speed Flash Memory Card (P-SDX128U2-GES3) 

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #4,978 of 18,652

1.  The tags are all good.  Actually quite perfect, I get irritated with messy tags lol.  
2.  Pretty much the only characters that exist in tracks is either a : or a -    
3.  Not that I have found.  However in the past hour it has frozen twice while playing one album, however both times on different tracks.  After it freezes, I can go back and play the song it froze on from the beginning and it can play through it all the way just fine.  So it's not particular tracks that consistently cause it to freeze, just random tracks, and when it wants to freeze.  However, I certainly wish I could find some common ground.
4.  100% flac on a sandisk 64 gb microsd card, that as far as I can tell, works perfectly.  Most of the audio is 16 bit 44.1 khz quality, one album 24 bit 48 khz, and one album 24 bit 96 khz.  The freezing occurs on any quality file.  

Actually, the ":" character will wreak havoc on a lot of filesystems. But if a track will crash it sometimes but not always, a firmware re-install might be your best bet.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #4,979 of 18,652

I bought this one on a recommendation of high compatibility with challenged devices. It has indeed works perfectly with both Hifiman and iBasso DAPs. Not sure how $100 rates as a price though.

PNY SDXC Class 10 High Speed Flash Memory Card (P-SDX128U2-GES3) 

Dang that does look like the perfect card at a nice price, but shipping, import taxes etc. would kill the deal for me 
frown.gif

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #4,980 of 18,652
  Actually, the ":" character will wreak havoc on a lot of filesystems. But if a track will crash it sometimes but not always, a firmware re-install might be your best bet.

On second thought, the : character is only used in the tags of certain songs.  The filenames don't have :, because that's not a valid character for filenames in Windows.  

Interesting though, I don't recall experiencing any freezes on the songs that have : in their names.  Just other random stuff.  

Since both firmware versions I have tried seem to have this same issue, not sure that reinstalling it again would be that useful.  However, perhaps I could attempt a format on the sd card and copy everything back onto it from the source in the event something went wrong with that the first time through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back