The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #3,961 of 18,652

fully agreed, just too subjective. Probably all the differences have been just so "virtual"! I was amazed by someone even claimed that wav sounds better than flac? Please proof to me otherwise.

You can proof by your self .please ripping 1 song from your CD  in wav file and the same song in Flac file.
Please use dap + amp + headphone or you can hear with your home set up
Please share your impresion here.

Oct 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #3,962 of 18,652
Flac, 24/44.1 files... I'll try with an amp an report my findings :)

Nothing on mine, using either LO or HO.

FLAC and ALAC, 24 bit stuff, starting from 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176. (something) and 192 all are tick/tock free...

I don't use AIFF or Wav so can't comment on that...

firmware is 1.2.0.

as for compressed air - that is a REALLY BAD idea. the dust may get in places that it wouldn't get in otherwise...

Oct 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #3,966 of 18,652
  You can proof by your self .please ripping 1 song from your CD  in wav file and the same song in Flac file.
Please use dap + amp + headphone or you can hear with your home set up
Please share your impresion here.

frankly, if I were to make myself to do such tests, even if I'm telling everyone that I can hear a difference, will it be reliable at all to proof to anyone that I'm actually hearing it "scientifically? same to anyone else here to, I would think the same that I will still wondering hard if someone else could really proof to others the differences they hear is scientific at all? I would leave the debate of mp3 vs lossless or uncompressed format. Even if I can't hear the differences against the MP3, I would still be using flac for optimized listening and archiving. But I would not spend the time to test against wav vs lossless compressed formats, seriously. Not to me:) I hope you get what I mean :)

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #3,968 of 18,652
can someone who owns the DX100 and DX50 tell me from 1 to 10 how close the sound quality of the DX50 compares to the DX100 please

With the DX100 being a 10, I'd say the DX50 comes in at 7.5 or 8 with the soundstage being the most notable difference. This is from the HP out, if you're going to amp them, things are much closer.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #3,969 of 18,652
With the DX100 being a 10, I'd say the DX50 comes in at 7.5 or 8 with the soundstage being the most notable difference. This is from the HP out, if you're going to amp them, things are much closer.

Thanks for the reply I was waiting to get one of the new Sony's daps, but being able to change DX50's battery myself outweighs anything else.

Oct 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #3,970 of 18,652
frankly, if I were to make myself to do such tests, even if I'm telling everyone that I can hear a difference, will it be reliable at all to proof to anyone that I'm actually hearing it "scientifically? same to anyone else here to, I would think the same that I will still wondering hard if someone else could really proof to others the differences they hear is scientific at all? I would leave the debate of mp3 vs lossless or uncompressed format. Even if I can't hear the differences against the MP3, I would still be using flac for optimized listening and archiving. But I would not spend the time to test against wav vs lossless compressed formats, seriously. Not to me:) I hope you get what I mean :)

Yes I am fully understand what you mean
If you find FLAC is very good , it is find for me
I like to use WAV for my DAP , hopely also find for you

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #3,971 of 18,652
Flac, 24/44.1 files... I'll try with an amp an report my findings :)

Can you explain how do the clicks pop up? I'd like to try and replicate this, since i haven't had any issues with my DX50, besides the occasional freezing. Also, what headphones are you using when you can hear the click (maybe sensitive phones can pick up the clicks easier). I ask because i'm using a mixture of 44.1/16 and 96/24 (higher is pointless IMO), and the only clicks i've ever heard are the ones coming from the amp's security relays. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #3,972 of 18,652
Can you explain how do the clicks pop up? I'd like to try and replicate this, since i haven't had any issues with my DX50, besides the occasional freezing. Also, what headphones are you using when you can hear the click (maybe sensitive phones can pick up the clicks easier). I ask because i'm using a mixture of 44.1/16 and 96/24 (higher is pointless IMO), and the only clicks i've ever heard are the ones coming from the amp's security relays. 

Just low-volume clicks during playback. I noticed it on Agnes Obel's Aventine album in 24/44.1. I guess that it has to be pretty quiet music for the clicks to be noticeable. I'll see if I can reproduce them.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #3,973 of 18,652
So there might be quality control issues then? why would one player sound different from another? Even someone on here said his friends same batch unit sounds a bit different to his own.

The power of suggestion + placebo effect???

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #3,974 of 18,652

+1 for HO. For line out to separate amps, which is how I use both the DX50 and DX100 most of the time, I would say that the DX50 would rate 8.5 as compared to the DX100 being a 10. As with Sorensiim's evaluation, I believe the main difference is somewhat better soundstage and imaging.

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #3,975 of 18,652
ARGH! Now I can't reproduce the clicking sound using the same files, headphones and everything... 
mad.gif

Others had reported the same issue previously, I'll be sure to check in if it comes back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back