The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 13, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #3,931 of 18,652
  Disappointing to hear.
As there were changes from the 1.0  to  1.6 (IMVHO) that really left me feeling blah about the player. Now it's  subjected  to a digital out transport device role.

I  would really like the original firmware back.

Upgrade firmware  from1.0.0 to 1.1.6 is excellent .improved clarity. Better and clear mid .better bass impact
Overall more pronounce .better separation and wider soundstage too.
And all music and playlist function works very fine

But with fw 1.2.0 i have many problem with my DX50

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #3,933 of 18,652
Every DAPs have their own strong and weak points
Nobody is perfect
In portable Audio and Home audio it is very important the SYNERGY one with another
From amps , DAC , DAP , cables

These are the ranking in my opinion :
Base on Price range and
Base on SQ and
as stand alone DAP and
flexibility to pair with different amps included my desktop amps and
External DAC and
Very important is your music file , I always use WAV for all my music files

Note : music file is very important to get excellent SQ
Can not compare MP3 file agains FLAC or WAV

IBasso HDP R10
AK 120
iPhone 4s
iPod Classic 7G 160 Gb
IBasso DX 50
AK 100
Hi Sound Studio V 3rd Edition
Hippo Biscuit
Sony Bluetooth NW 1

This my IMO

May I know why, when comes to portables, there are lossless formats such as flac which saves u half of the storage but u prefer wav at all time?

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #3,934 of 18,652
Every DAPs have their own strong and weak points
Nobody is perfect
In portable Audio and Home audio it is very important the SYNERGY one with another
From amps , DAC , DAP , cables

These are the ranking in my opinion :
Base on Price range and
Base on SQ and
as stand alone DAP and
flexibility to pair with different amps included my desktop amps and
External DAC and
Very important is your music file , I always use WAV for all my music files

Note : music file is very important to get excellent SQ
Can not compare MP3 file agains FLAC or WAV

IBasso HDP R10
AK 120
iPhone 4s
iPod Classic 7G 160 Gb
IBasso DX 50
AK 100
Hi Sound Studio V 3rd Edition
Hippo Biscuit
Sony Bluetooth NW 1

This my IMO

Rudi,

Thank you for your comparison. I have been considering selling my DX50 and just holding on to my iPod. Would you be willing to do a brief comparison between the two?

Regards,
Kenneth

Oct 13, 2013 at 3:58 AM Post #3,935 of 18,652
Wav is the best in term sq for me.
Because wav is like cd one to one .conversion I dont like compress file
I love audiophile sq .better sq with less songs than thousand songs with less sq
If you pair with external dsc snd amp you will notice that wav more pronouce and body 
My IMO

Oct 13, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #3,937 of 18,652
I noticed the "clicking" yesterday, on 24/44.1 files... Holy hell that was annoying! Once you hear it, it becomes impossible to ignore. I really hope Ibasso comes up with a fix for it, as it kinda ruins the point of having a 24/192 capable DAP. 

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #3,938 of 18,652
  Yesterday, after listening again to my friend DX50 with Samsung "Genuine" Galaxy S3 Battery (GT-19300), below is my comment:

1) The sound level (loudness) appears to be much higher even at low gain setting comparing to stock battery
2) Sound stage appear to be wider and spacious and deeper
3) The clarify has improved.
4) Better separation between vocal & instruments
5) The treble and bass have much impact

Sorry for my layman kind of explaining.

I believe the S3 battery help to improve the performance of Op-Amp in the circuitry like what Rudy mentioned.

Yesterday, after listening again to my friend DX50 with Samsung "Genuine" Galaxy S3 Battery (GT-19300), below is my comment:

1) The sound level (loudness) appears to be much higher even at low gain setting comparing to stock battery
2) Sound stage appear to be wider and spacious and deeper
3) The clarify has improved.
4) Better separation between vocal & instruments
5) The treble and bass h much impact

Sorry for my layman kind of explaining.

I believe the S3 battery help to improve the performance of Op-Amp in +6282137055500 the circuitry like what Rudy mentioned.

Thank you for your sharing

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #3,941 of 18,652
And people who will have the 6th batch will kick your 5th batch unit!!!! LOL
tongue.gif

Until the 15th batch arrives, which is the best dac/amp combo in the universe for all time.

- Headphony

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #3,942 of 18,652
From what I read, mike used "demo" unit for his. review :p.

@RIs, I prefer ibasso line out. I plug my er4 to ipod & ibasso LO. I noticed DX50 more flat sounding than iPod, imo its more natural for me.

The plus point for ibasso line out, I can use it for my sensitive iem and I can control the volume :)

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #3,943 of 18,652
Thank you for your comparison. I have been considering selling my DX50 and just holding on to my iPod. Would you be willing to do a brief comparison between the two?

Regards,
Kenneth
For direct use  DX 50 is better than ipod classic 7G.because DX 50 has more power  than Ipod Classic 7 G            if plus dac amp like with Theoren 720 .than IPC SQ above DX50

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #3,944 of 18,652
Thank you for your comparison. I have been considering selling my DX50 and just holding on to my iPod. Would you be willing to do a brief comparison between the two?Regards,Kenneth

If you have them both, why have someone else give you a subjective rating of the two? Listen to them and pick the one that you prefer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #3,945 of 18,652
T
I don't feel good on this. We are end users, paying the same amount, regardless the 1st batch buyers or 6th. We aren't beta testers, or are we? Even though I'm glad that I'm in the 5th batch, but how about the future 7th, 8th and counting on? I mean this is pretty unfair to the earlier batches buyers if the improvements really exist one batch after another?? Or should I have hold on till it is fully "stabilized" with sound quality? I don't really feel great on this! Seriously.

I'm the kind of person that I don't like hearing the later batches of buyers claiming here that the sq has much improved again against my 5th batch. I hope everyone feels me!

With utmost respect, it is unreasonable to not expect in-service improvements to any product. It's a long established recommendation not to buy early production cars while they sort out the bugs. Why would a $240 DAP be any different?

With the DX50, I would be surprised if there is any different components in Batch 5 vs Batch 1, 2, 3 or 4. But I am sure the FW is different and that is available to all.

While I'm at it, all this talk about batteries and batches and so on. The only opinions on SQ I'd take much notice of would be a series of blind tests across a reasonable sample of listeners. All too subjective to take much notice of single opinions. I'm not saying you don't hear differences, but the degree of difference and whether it makes that much difference to being upset by it all is like bordering on paranoia I'm afraid to say. Headphonia don't mention what FW they were comparing when they made that statement about batch 5. And I've not seen anyone question it either. We might be worrying about nothing at all!

For example, how many of you Head-Fiers are like me? One day I prefer one headphone or source over another and the next day it could be the reverse. If we always preferred just one source or headphone we'd only have one.... Music genre excepted... Even then I bet we don't just listen to one combination for each genre. I sure don't.

With DAP SQ, here is my list, ranked best to least SQ:

DX100
RWAK100
DX50
Sony Z-1070

And a bit further back but hardly disgraced are...

Sony Xperia Z
iPad 2
iPhone 5 (sold)
iPod 80gb 6G
iPhone 4S (sold)
iPod Nano

Just my take and 2 cents....

Edit: forgot my iPods. And incorrect statement on FW in Mike's test. Thanks TRANCE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back