The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #3,556 of 18,652
  So i bought one of these after a couple of private conversations over sound quality vs the Studio V 3rd Anniversary. There were also a few posts here i regarded with suspicion saying that the DX50 stomped the Studio but i wanted to find out... I have often read statements like "we all here things differently"  but to me.. The DX50 does NOT sound as good as the Studio V 3rd.. The Studio has more air, more space around instruments, better bass and i think better treble as well. Listening to almost any genre the Studio is better and is much better with Electonic beat driven music. Anything rythmic sound more infectious on the little gold brick.

I gave my DX50 away to my sister's husband.. I was hopeful of finding a new small form factor DAP with a sound upgrade... This is NOT it...  The only area where there was an improvement was in background noise but not enough to make me get rid of the Studio since in SQ terms alone the Studio V 3rd is the winner.   I am using Fitear F111s at the moment...  The DX50  had more than a weeks daily use and when not being listened to had music running through it, So yes it was burned in.. After a weeks use going back to the Studio made me realize what a fabulous little unit it is and all new shiny things are not necessarily better... If you own a Studio V 3rd and are thinking to buy one of these as an upgrade ..Don't, as it is merely a move slightly backwards to the left or right....  Also just be clear... i don't give a fig about slick UIs and such... I only ever listen to WAVs and always to complete albums so arguments over such things are wasted on me.. i only care about the sound and the enjoyment it brings.

My opinion, but an alternate one to others i have seen. It should also be mentioned that i did not pay full retail for the Studio V 3rd when i got it..

Not too surprising actually.  Studio V is a great little DAP and I also prefer its SQ over AK100.  Only drawback is that it's slightly too hissy on my tg334.  Personally I still like the DX50 overall better, but not hard to imagine other would prefer the V's sound.

Oct 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #3,558 of 18,652
I think the 8740 is more analog in sound.

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #3,559 of 18,652
Can anyone offer some comment to help me decide if the DX50 will do what I need. I want a portable player with a large storage capacity that I can take everywhere with me, including on my mountain bike which is where I do most of my listening, I want to ditch my Cambridge Audio streamer and just play direct to iem's (I don't know which yet but welcome advice) or headphones (Sennheiser HD580, old but I like 'em) or my Mackie 824's which I also like. I bought a Cobra D10 a while ago and like the sound from this too. One of my concerns is whether I need to know a lot of technical stuff to succeed with the DX50 as I don't have the kind of knowledge that most other contributors seem to possess. Based on the sound from the Cobra D10, or indeed streaming FLAC with the Cambridge Audio would I be disappointed in the DX50? I am just trying to get a benchmark for the DX50 to see if I am heading in the right direction. Thanks?

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #3,560 of 18,652
Can anyone offer some comment to help me decide if the DX50 will do what I need. I want a portable player with a large storage capacity that I can take everywhere with me, including on my mountain bike which is where I do most of my listening, I want to ditch my Cambridge Audio streamer and just play direct to iem's (I don't know which yet but welcome advice) or headphones (Sennheiser HD580, old but I like 'em) or my Mackie 824's which I also like. I bought a Cobra D10 a while ago and like the sound from this too. One of my concerns is whether I need to know a lot of technical stuff to succeed with the DX50 as I don't have the kind of knowledge that most other contributors seem to possess. Based on the sound from the Cobra D10, or indeed streaming FLAC with the Cambridge Audio would I be disappointed in the DX50? I am just trying to get a benchmark for the DX50 to see if I am heading in the right direction. Thanks?

The D10 and DX50 have nearly identical amplifier circuitry so if you like the sound of the D10, you will very likely also like the DX50, No technical knowledge is necessary except for the ability to follow instructions if you choose to update the firmware as new versions become available. If you can use a cellphone, you can use the DX50.

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #3,561 of 18,652
Great, thanks for that. I am one of those "keep it simple" types. With the ability to expand up to 2TB I will never run out of space and never need to mess about with loads of separate bits of gear. The wife will be happy too as "all that rubbish in the corner" can be got rid of. I just need to work of getting iem's for the DX50 - up to £50 and must fit under a bike helmet if anyone has any ideas.

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #3,562 of 18,652

the DX50 is a nice portable player. Unfortunately, I haven't tried any of the other equipment you mentioned, so I can't speak for those.

As of right now, the DX50 can take the high capacity microsd card available, 64gb. To me that's plenty of space for portable. I also mountain bike, and depending on how tight your pants/shorts are, the DX50 maybe a bit thick. but having the large physical buttons make it really easy to change /play/pause tracks through the pants. 

I'm running the Shure SE425 through the DX50 and its absolutely wonderful through them. Has no issues driving them on low gain. I've tried running the HD650 through them, but it does lack a bit of punch, even on high gain.

I use my DX50 for work, and  quite satisfied with the way it works for the price i paid, and the performance I am getting out of it. I previously was using a E17 as a dac off my work computer. This is a significant upgrade for me from the E17. 

Hope that helps!

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #3,563 of 18,652
Great, thanks for that. I am one of those "keep it simple" types. With the ability to expand up to 2TB I will never run out of space and never need to mess about with loads of separate bits of gear. The wife will be happy too as "all that rubbish in the corner" can be got rid of. I just need to work of getting iem's for the DX50 - up to £50 and must fit under a bike helmet if anyone has any ideas.

You can pick up a set of Klipsch X10's used for $75-85 and they easily fit under a helmet. Plus they sound good!

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #3,564 of 18,652

I want to recommend the DX50 to you but I can't at this point.  The DX50 is a great sounding player but it isn't a 100% stable yet.  Given that you will be listening on the go, you won't have much time screwing around if the player is not responsive.  You may want to look into the newer Sony line of Walkman F886 as it will have a dedicate control buttons as well as trouble free operation.  Sadly, Sony has limited storage space.  Fiio X3 is also another excellent candidate.

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #3,565 of 18,652

I want to recommend the DX50 to you but I can't at this point.  The DX50 is a great sounding player but it isn't a 100% stable yet.  Given that you will be listening on the go, you won't have much time screwing around if the player is not responsive.  You may want to look into the newer Sony line of Walkman F886 as it will have a dedicate control buttons as well as trouble free operation.  Sadly, Sony has limited storage space.  Fiio X3 is also another excellent candidate.

i find it only has problems when you're first setting it up, ie. media scanning doesn't work properly. After i have all my music scanned into the database, i haven't had a single freeze or problem since. YMMV of course.

Oct 7, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #3,566 of 18,652
11 days after receiving my DHL tracking number it is here.  It was worth the wait.

Sounds amazing with my TF10s on high gain, volume in the 180 to 210 range.  I know it's good when I hear something I have never noticed before on the first song played, when it is track that I have listened to hundreds of times already (Tommy, Overture my personal Hi Fi reference track.)

UI is a little non-standard but nowhere near as hard as any Nokia phone or anything with the Sony brand name.  Upgraded firmware to v 1.2 without a problem, just followed the readme.txt inside the zip archive.  I need to test more, but the CUE support seems partially broke.

So out of the box I would say 9 of 10.  That may go up or down, but that was my unboxing, plug the IEMs in, and go experience.  The HISS was absolutely terrible until I unplugged the IEMs from the COAX out and then plugged into HO.  Then it disappeared completely.  :)

Can't way to try it with my DB2, PB2 stack with coax out.  That is the main reason I bought it.  Then I can try some op amp rolling with the Topkit I bought.

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #3,567 of 18,652

I have the SE215 I use for work and they pair quite nicely with the DX50, they are about 65 pounds. They will fit under your helmet.

Oct 7, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #3,569 of 18,652
Hi guys

Ive decided to take the plunge and get the ibasso dx50 as my first proper audio player,just wondering has anyone been hit with customs charges when having it shipped to Europe?

Any advice much appreciated

Cheers
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back