The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 1, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #3,063 of 18,652
  DX50+amp won't be as good as a DX100. 

Now that's a pretty generic statement discounting all amps... I won't be so sure unless I test every amps available.
Personally I do like the ess9018 DAC much better than most wm8740 implementations I heard, but the preferences are first subjective, and second that difference is not that big that no difference in amp power/design would not change the preference.

I think I like the DX50+International very much and more so than I liked my DX100 but then I no longer have it to compare side by side.

Cheers

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #3,064 of 18,652
It will be a bit better even against a DX50 + the best portable amp. The DAC section loses out on detail, separation etc. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #3,065 of 18,652

I'm pretty sure its across them all, The DX50 clearly has some flaws in its amplifier design, iBasso also never put up the power output specs of the DX50, now we know why, because the 16 ohm power output is inferior to some of its main competitors like the X3, and I for one have a lot of 16 ohm iems so this is a big problem for me, not to mention the rubbish output impedance causing bass roll off and altering the sound of low impedance iems to be more treble happy.

It also depends on preference on sound sig re the bass roll off due to OI mismatch.  James from iriver specifically mentioned that they designed the amp section for AK120 to use a similar 3ohm design for the best sound they preferred.  Similarly despite the >1ohm mod by RedWineAudio, many other modders, notably the russians who also brought us the hecked AK100 firmwares, also picked 3ohm instead of >1ohm for their AK100 mods.   I also think this actually help to give DX50 a less warm and whammy type sound sig that many of us early adopters described as less warm and more
neutral with sensitive IEMs like the XBA4, TG334 or JH13pro.  

I have no issue with the 3ohm or the sound with my low impedance phones and I may actually like it.  The one thing I have problem with is the deviation from the specs and hopefully we can get some clarification from iBasso if there is a change in the intended design, or it is a last minute changes on the production line.

Just updated to 1.2.0 and thanks for Soren it went perfectly well as had my other updates went.

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #3,066 of 18,652

So DX100 is still far better SQ than DX50 even it is paired with the best amp?

The DX50 is terrific on the go, but the DX100 is still the better sounding of the two. Can't say that I have tried every single conceivable amp on the market though :xf_eek:)

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #3,067 of 18,652

It also depends on preference on sound sig re the bass roll off due to OI mismatch.  James from iriver specifically mentioned that they designed the amp section for AK120 to use a similar 3ohm design for the best sound they preferred.  Similarly despite the >1ohm mod by RedWineAudio, many other modders, notably the russians who also brought us the hecked AK100 firmwares, also picked 3ohm instead of >1ohm for their AK100 mods.   I also think this actually help to give DX50 a less warm and whammy type sound sig that many of us early adopters described as less warm and more
neutral with sensitive IEMs like the XBA4, TG334 or JH13pro.  

I have no issue with the 3ohm or the sound with my low impedance phones and I may actually like it.  The one thing I have problem with is the deviation from the specs and hopefully we can get some clarification from iBasso if there is a change in the intended design, or it is a last minute changes on the production line.

Just updated to 1.2.0 and thanks for Soren it went perfectly well as had my other updates went.

I agree. All right.

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #3,068 of 18,652
My Kingston 64GB Class 10 Micro SD card is just not working... 
Anybody have any suggestions as to what card I should switch to? 

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #3,070 of 18,652
My Kingston 64GB Class 10 Micro SD card is just not working... 
Anybody have any suggestions as to what card I should switch to? 
I'm using strontium class 10 in my dx50. It works well. Got it from online computers

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #3,074 of 18,652
Yep. It's exFat. 
It works perfectly with my Sansa Clip+ rockboxed so I'm not sure what's up with the DX50. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #3,075 of 18,652
My Sandisk class 10 bought in May in my GS4 carked it and stop letting me write to it no matter what I did. Couldn't even format with any of the applications I downloaded. Never again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back