The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 27, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #18,136 of 18,652
So ! My problem is right now I can't use DX50 as a DAC for my Macbook Air 2014. Mine is 1.9.4 ! 
And I'm using this DAP with M50x and get little low noise at Low Gain but it nearly disappear on High gain , Is that normal? This is my first DAP so I don't know so much about this stuff ! 
Moreover, I'm confusing between the E12A and E17K amp DAC. Can anyone give me some advices.

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #18,137 of 18,652
Hi guys
I tried to use the dx50 as an external dac for my android smartphone and it works like a charm! Only one little problem: it drains out the smarphone battery really fast!
I was wndering: dx50 has its own internal battery, so is there some way to use that energy instead of the one coming from my nexus?

@apollo17 Are you connect by OTG cable ? I tried with my Asus zenphone 2 and got the same result . I think the problem is the DX50 also realize your smartphone as a portable charger so ... 

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #18,138 of 18,652
Hi,

I finally managed to use it as external dac on my laptop.

Which conversion rate do you use in the Windows speakers management?

I set 32 bits 192000 hz (the higher) but I don't know if it is right or not. 

@apollo17when I link the usb port of my laptop to the DX50 it charges the internal battery of DX50. Maybe you are doing the same with your Nexus and I don't know how to stop it.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #18,139 of 18,652
  @apollo17 Are you connect by OTG cable ? I tried with my Asus zenphone 2 and got the same result . I think the problem is the DX50 also realize your smartphone as a portable charger so ... 

I am not sure if Ibasso firmware supports OTG from Android.
Since I don't have OTG cable with me, can someone try the DX50 with DAC mode (Linux/Mac) connect to Android?
I believe USB to PC/Mac is quite straight forward, just select the DAC mode accordingly (Windows or Linux/Mac) and connect. Install the driver first if available for your PC to easy recognize the DAC.

Mar 28, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #18,140 of 18,652
An issue I'm having is the line out pauses itself. I think it has something to do with the line out port itself (like the cable is being unplugged but it really isn't, yet the player stops and can be made to play again instantly by pressing play). The headphone out doesn't have this issue leading me to believe it's the port itself.

Anyone run into that before? I've tried another memory card to rule out a defective card, still having pause issues. I have the one before the last firmware update by Ibasso. Could it be my cards being formatted in exfat instead of fat32 as mentioned above?

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #18,141 of 18,652
  I am not sure if Ibasso firmware supports OTG from Android.
Since I don't have OTG cable with me, can someone try the DX50 with DAC mode (Linux/Mac) connect to Android?
I believe USB to PC/Mac is quite straight forward, just select the DAC mode accordingly (Windows or Linux/Mac) and connect. Install the driver first if available for your PC to easy recognize the DAC.

I'm successfully using the DX50 setted on "DAC Mac/Linux" with a Nexus 6P connected via this cable: http://www.amazon.it/Ewent-Super-Speed-Maschio-Reversibile/dp/B011N96ZJQ?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
It works system wide, with every app
The only problem is that it seems that the DX50 recognizing to be connected to a USB host, it recharges itself from that USB, turning in a "as fast as hell" discharge of the phone battery :frowning2:

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #18,142 of 18,652
  So ! My problem is right now I can't use DX50 as a DAC for my Macbook Air 2014. Mine is 1.9.4 ! 
And I'm using this DAP with M50x and get little low noise at Low Gain but it nearly disappear on High gain , Is that normal? This is my first DAP so I don't know so much about this stuff ! 
Moreover, I'm confusing between the E12A and E17K amp DAC. Can anyone give me some advices?

Can anyone help me answer these questions ? 

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #18,143 of 18,652
The e11k and e12a have similar poder output, the sound from both is amazing considering their prices so i would go for the e12a as it have better soundstage, better body on the bass and also the bass boost is a lot better. Also it is more detailed and just ad a very little of warm sound to the neutral character of it. I keep my e12a and sold my e11k and e12 so i know a little about them.
My mac isnt arround so i cant help you on the dac.
Turn it on an them connect it to the mac. It should be elegible on the preferences-sound panel.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #18,144 of 18,652
You should have less noise from low gain than high gain. The e12 is an amp only and the e17 is a combination dac/amp. The e12 will have a better amp section for big phones.

The dx50 as a DAC is for a computer is finicky. I suggest making sure you have a data cable and not just a charging cable. If the dx50 shows up as a memory card with the cable it's a data cable. If it doesn't and only charges the dx50, that is not a data cable. If it's a data cable and you can not use it as a DAC, make sure the usb setting on the DAC is set to DAC mode and not storage mode

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #18,146 of 18,652
You should have less noise from low gain than high gain. The e12 is an amp only and the e17 is a combination dac/amp. The e12 will have a better amp section for big phones.

The dx50 as a DAC is for a computer is finicky. I suggest making sure you have a data cable and not just a charging cable. If the dx50 shows up as a memory card with the cable it's a data cable. If it doesn't and only charges the dx50, that is not a data cable. If it's a data cable and you can not use it as a DAC, make sure the usb setting on the DAC is set to DAC mode and not storage mode

I have no idea . When I plug my ATH-M50x to dx50 in low gain , I got small noise on background , then I turn the gain to high - the noise nearly disappear . So it means I actually got trouble with this one ? 
BTW, thank for the tip you guys, I think I will try the e17k first , I need a multifunction one, so I can using for both my Laptop and Ibasso :D 

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:38 AM Post #18,147 of 18,652
  I have no idea . When I plug my ATH-M50x to dx50 in low gain , I got small noise on background , then I turn the gain to high - the noise nearly disappear . So it means I actually got trouble with this one ? 
BTW, thank for the tip you guys, I think I will try the e17k first , I need a multifunction one, so I can using for both my Laptop and Ibasso :D 

If yu can get the E18, it will be better.
I have saw here that the Dx50 have some noise on the low-gain and on the hi-gain it vanishes somehow. Cant tell cause i use the LO

Mar 30, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #18,148 of 18,652
I got the phone out "Blues"
frown.gif
!
I see "Soldering" in the forecast.
Other than that I'm having a nice day.
I'm wondering what other DAP I could buy?
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #18,150 of 18,652
same issue... I've updraded to 1.9.4 for the playlist support improvement, but the DAC Linux/Mac settings doesn't work anymore...
So I'm going back to 1.9.3 :frowning2:

Tried to use the DX50 with my Nexus 7 but also found I could not select the DAC Linux/Mac option when running 1.9.4. Reverted to 1.9.3 and works fine. I can't understand why ibasso didn't find this when testing their new firmware?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back