The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 11, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #18,106 of 18,652
Very interesting! Thanks a lot!
Now, before everyone else begs you to measure his prefered firmware: it would be great if you could do this measurements with rockbox.
Rockbox uses alsa drivers so i would expect to see a smaller difference between input and output. Specially people with technical background like rockbox so i hope that this could be an interesting project for you.

Mar 11, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #18,107 of 18,652
Sorry, DX50 is not mine (as many other devices that I measured) and it is already returned to the owner. In order to perform more extensive testing the device should be bought. At this stage of the research – collecting measurements of various devices – this is hardly possible, too expensive. But my experience tells me that results of such measurements depend mostly on hardware; software influences SQ to the less extent.

Mar 11, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #18,108 of 18,652
I understand. To modify the firmware of a friend's device is the best way to loose friends :wink:
The bad thing is now, that we are all left very curious why our hifi dap has more distortion than many mobile phones you've tested. An interesting thing with the ibasso players is that many people have reported sound signature changes with different firmware versions while with rockbox it seems to sound the same no matter what firmware pre-installed is. Ibasso seems to tweak the sound signature with their software. There is where i was expecting the distortions from (what would not exist with rockbox).

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #18,112 of 18,652
hi to all, so I got a 128gb card fro my dx50 today & had already filled up the internal 8gb. I created a music folder on the card & put the rest of my files in there but the dx50 is behaving badly. not all the albums are showing in the album list but are in the directory. do you have to have all on the sd card & not across x 2 memory slots. a bit confusing to be honest.

Mar 15, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #18,113 of 18,652
  hi to all, so I got a 128gb card fro my dx50 today & had already filled up the internal 8gb. I created a music folder on the card & put the rest of my files in there but the dx50 is behaving badly. not all the albums are showing in the album list but are in the directory. do you have to have all on the sd card & not across x 2 memory slots. a bit confusing to be honest.

I have a 200gb card in my DX50 with my flac files on it, and mp3 files on the internal memory, have not experienced any problems, my microsd card is formatted exfat. Try factory reset and rescan your files.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #18,114 of 18,652
I've managed to get the files on the sd card now, just had to let the dx50 create the folder on the card & you just drag & drop onto the root of the sd card. so all good, but no. got a bowie best of album with 33 flac files which show in the directory but only x 3 tracks show when you go to play the album. weird. I have rockbox installed & it shows & plays all the files. I wish that rockbox played the hi-res files as would not bother with the stock firmware at all. its so flakey. when using rockbox it doesnt even show my dsd files :frowning2:

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #18,115 of 18,652
Do NOT use ExFat in the DX50. You are going to call for trouble depending which FW you are using. The sector size in ExFat is different and some FW choking because of it. Stuttering is the most common effect. Any card of any size can be formatted in FAT - just use a 3rd party tool for it. Several are mentioned here in this thread.

Cheers

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #18,116 of 18,652
Do NOT use ExFat in the DX50. You are going to call for trouble depending which FW you are using. The sector size in ExFat is different and some FW choking because of it. Stuttering is the most common effect. Any card of any size can be formatted in FAT - just use a 3rd party tool for it. Several are mentioned here in this thread.

Cheers

I've been wanting to reformat to Fat32 for so long, but I am dreading putting all my music back on the SD card... Currently, it is exFat.

With Rockbox I haven't had any issues though. With stock firmware I suffered from stuttering.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #18,117 of 18,652
Has anyone else had issues with the shuffle algorithm when not using Rockbox? It only shuffles through like 1/3rd of my collection and shuffles then in the same order on a regular basis. Even when reshuffling. I have had this issue since day 1 and haven't seen anyone else says they have the same issue.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #18,118 of 18,652

Cheers

Hi
reformatted the sd card to fat 32 & put the bowie album back on the card, still will not play ball through the mango firmware. only x 3 songs are recognised when you look at the album. when you check the directory though ALL 33 songs are shown. When you try to play a song from the directory that is not in the album list it goes to media scanning then just hangs. I left it going when I went to bed but the songs did not come over. when I play the same album through rockbox there are no such issues. I would use rockbox exclusively but it doesnt play dsf files which I find to be a bit odd. 

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #18,119 of 18,652
I wish I would know what you are talking about.

x 3 songs? What is that supposed to be? 

Personally, I am just fine with dsf converted to FLAC because it makes no difference to my ears and works rock solid in RB.

Sounds like you should do a Factory reset in the mango environment, assuming you are running the dual boot version, and the do a full media re-scan.

Don't know what else to say....

Cheers.

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #18,120 of 18,652
  I wish I would know what you are talking about.

x 3 songs? What is that supposed to be? 

Personally, I am just fine with dsf converted to FLAC because it makes no difference to my ears and works rock solid in RB.

Sounds like you should do a Factory reset in the mango environment, assuming you are running the dual boot version, and the do a full media re-scan.

Don't know what else to say....

Cheers.

Many thanks for your replies, what I mean by x 3 songs is that when you look at the album in the mango firmware there are just 3 flac files/'tracks showing but when you look in the directory of the sd card all 33 tracks are then shown. I've already factory reset & this is still happening. rockbox doesnt even recognise the dsf files so do they need converting for rockbox to see it? I have got a dual boot version. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back