The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Mar 8, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #18,092 of 18,652
  I just got my DX50 last night, got it on Amazon for $180. I am using a PNY 128GB sdxc card formatted in exfat, all my music is in 16/44.1 .m4a alac (and plays fine on itunes with bitperfect). I updated the player to the 1.9.4 firmware and did a factory reset twice after that. Everything is working well except for one thing... every single track stutters every 20-30 secs, it is driving me mad. I've tried rescanning the library as well but I still cannot listen to a single track without it stuttering multiple times. Has anyone else experienced this? What was the fix? 

i have always update the dx50 by just running the update option without doing any reset or clean up and mine works perfect (sandisk 64gb on exfat).
But maybe you need to do a "by the book" update.

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #18,094 of 18,652

I did a by the book update, literally followed the directions in the manual to the T.

If there are any FW problems the batch tool on the 1st page of the DX80 thread does a totally clean install. It is what we use at the factory when needed. It works with a PC and has instruction included in the download. Please let me know if you have any further problems.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 8, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #18,095 of 18,652

I can't because fat32 only supports volumes up to 32GB, I am using a 128GB SD card. Supposedly this thing supports SD cards up to 2TB (when they exist) which would require full exfat support, so that should not be an issue... and if it is then ibasso has lied through their teeth about SD card support...

Not true. fat32 supports 128gig just fine. It just happens that it is not in line with windows specs. The difference between Fat32 and ExFat is literally just the "EX". It means EXtended FAT and usually non windows devices have trouble with it due to the fact that the sector size is larger, which causes caching issues.

Long story short, format your card using a tool like this: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm and you will be just fine.

Cheers.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #18,096 of 18,652
  Not true. fat32 supports 128gig just fine. It just happens that it is not in line with windows specs. The difference between Fat32 and ExFat is literally just the "EX". It means EXtended FAT and usually non windows devices have trouble with it due to the fact that the sector size is larger, which causes caching issues.

Long story short, format your card using a tool like this: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm and you will be just fine.

Cheers.

No you are totally right, I took your's and Pietro's advice and got it formatted in fat32. I had to connect the dx50 to my windows 7 virtual machine as I couldn't find a comparable mac utility (that didn't cost anything anyway). Using that gui formatter tool I was able to reformat it in fat32 with 125gb usable, then I loaded a few of the songs I tested before and played them and they seem to be playing perfectly now. So yea, the format was most likely the issue. If I hear it again I will try the clean firmware install that Paul suggested.

Thanks guys!!

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #18,097 of 18,652

No you are totally right, I took your's and Pietro's advice and got it formatted in fat32. I had to connect the dx50 to my windows 7 virtual machine as I couldn't find a comparable mac utility (that didn't cost anything anyway). Using that gui formatter tool I was able to reformat it in fat32 with 125gb usable, then I loaded a few of the songs I tested before and played them and they seem to be playing perfectly now. So yea, the format was most likely the issue. If I hear it again I will try the clean firmware install that Paul suggested.

Thanks guys!!

Mac will format this by using the disk utility on your computer. That is what I always use. It is under Erase. There you can choose the format to use. 

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #18,098 of 18,652

Mac will format this by using the disk utility on your computer. That is what I always use. It is under Erase. There you can choose the format to use. 

That is actually the very first thing I tried but it will not work in my case. The disk utility in the latest version of OSX would not allow me to do anything with the volumes under rockchip_usb. It might have worked if I would have inserted the sd card directly into a card reader, but my macbook air is the 11in one and does not have a card reader. So the only way to access the sd card without a card reader is through the dx50 usb port, and when you do that the mac osx disk utility in el-capitan (which is different than previous versions) would not allow me to interact with either the sd card volume or the internal memory on the dx50... so no dice there.

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #18,099 of 18,652

That is actually the very first thing I tried but it will not work in my case. The disk utility in the latest version of OSX would not allow me to do anything with the volumes under rockchip_usb. It might have worked if I would have inserted the sd card directly into a card reader, but my macbook air is the 11in one and does not have a card reader. So the only way to access the sd card without a card reader is through the dx50 usb port, and when you do that the mac osx disk utility in el-capitan (which is different than previous versions) would not allow me to interact with either the sd card volume or the internal memory on the dx50... so no dice there.

yep, the last OSX sucks big time, but unplugged the dx50, put the USB settings on "storage" and then connect to your mac, then the mounted vol can be erased

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #18,100 of 18,652

Do you mean with the dx50 set up as an external DAC? No I haven't tried that yet. But the exact same files played through itunes using bitperfect on my Macbook Air to the exact same set of B&W P3 headphones does not result in any stuttering whatsoever, plays smooth as butter. It only happens when playing them with the dx50. Also just as a side note, I have tried it with and without the EQ enabled and it stutters regardless.

I mean playing the files from the card itself, don't know if you drag & drop, if the card came with an adapter that goes into a usb port on your macbook, assuming that it does.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #18,101 of 18,652
Ok I have put several hours into it now and have not notice any more stuttering. I think we can safely say that the issue was the drive format, it does absolutely need to be in fat32, exfat may be technically supported but it does not work correctly.

Mar 11, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #18,104 of 18,652
I can't use my DX50 as a DAC (Windows/Linux) anymore after v1.9.4 upgrade. The option is still there, but I cannot choose the it. Anyone having the same issue?

Can't get it to work either, i'm new to the DX50 so i installed the latest firmware right off the bat, another problem i've encountered, my desktop pc win 10, will see my dx50, my laptop running same os will not see it at all, go figure.

Mar 11, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #18,105 of 18,652
Here is my objective measurements of DX50 with the latest firmware. Most informative value is the median of the histogram. According to the early research it correlates well with perceived audio quality. The lower the value – the better. DX50 can be compared with other players on the portable players page.

I performed these measurements for both settings of DX50 digital filter – Sharp roll-off and Slow roll-off.

Pure Sine waves were not affected by the digital filter switch. Signals with multiple frequency components - white noise and square wave degraded the most in Slow roll-off mode. In this mode the phases of different frequency components are less consistent (worse phase response). Nevertheless, the real-world audio material is almost not affected by the switch (actually the histogram values are slightly higher with slow roll-off but the difference is in the second decimal place). So I can safely conclude that human hearing can't tell the difference between the two modes of DX50 digital filter and the switch itself could be considered as a “placebo switch”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back