The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 17, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #16,126 of 18,652

Hi Medmitry.
What are the changes you did compared to the regular firmware?

please do not abandon us, savior of the DX50.

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #16,127 of 18,652
as cholero mentioned here, the ArgelErx's cleanup ps4 + Cholero modern_ui rockbox build contains a little bug
the freq scaling governor (interactive <-> powersave were swapped)

so I recommend, change governover to "powersave" if you use RSU. (Setting -> General Settings -> System -> Freq Scaling ..)

and some tip for a "rockbox newbie":
 if you are using "Files" to explore music on your SD card, you can setup the SD card root as start point for file browser.
 Steps:
 - go to "mnt" directory ("Files"-> mnt)
 - select "external_sd" directory and long press PLAY (the context menu will appear)
 - choose "Start File Browser Here"

it will make your life easier :wink:

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #16,129 of 18,652
  I have a question for you, do you hear difference of the sound signature using different scaling governors?(pretty sure it's smth that related to hardware but it doesn't matter here)

Stock has much more distortion. While EQ can diffuse, distortion will always be there. Yes I do hear a difference, and volume does not change it.

given that the modified source is still clipping by the way.  NEVER CLIP, THERE IS NEVER A REASON TO CLIP

Jan 18, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #16,132 of 18,652
The point is Dmitry, once you get to a 90% distortion free, you will become the DX60 master.

nothing else matters.

I will however say that rockbox is a hassle that nobody has to deal with

Jan 18, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #16,134 of 18,652
  Cool. Looking forward to it. The X5 doesn't read exFAT so I couldn't try them at the store. 

Ok,

I did a small test with the input switcher between the X5 and DX50 playing the exact same WAV file 16/44.1 into UE900s and JVC HA-FX850 earphones.

Result:

- damn close overall
- slightly more air on the X5
- slightly more bass punch (but just a hint) on the X5

So sound quality wise - I would be fine with either player and I can't believe how well the DX50 holds up to the X5.

Then I connected the Cayin C5 to the X5 and things changed more dramatic. Soundstage increased and bass was audible punchier and fuller, especially with the UE900s.

Everytime I use the input switcher and a volume matched song switching back and forth I realize how small the differences are. Again, I recommend that to everyone, you are in for a surprise. When you do the test sequentially you really believe all these dramatic changes are there quite obviously - then via the switcher it's all suddenly miniscule. I also tested the switcher and asked Fiio about it. It's perfectly transparent and the connection cables are high quality too and very short.

The DX50 was running official FW 1.6 which I think is the best sounding - though firmware is hard to compare if you don't have two identical DX50s. 

If I have more time later today I throw in the AK100 Mk2 in the mix.

Cheers,
K

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #16,135 of 18,652
Koolpep, PLEASE use Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 firmware (FLAC-only / IIR off / CPU default) to compare with X5 ! That should make "slightly more air on the X5" point disappear. "slightly more bass punch (but just a hint) on the X5" point will probably stay since it`s weakest point of DX50 (until You change HO/LO capacitors)
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #16,136 of 18,652
  Koolpep, PLEASE use Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 firmware (FLAC-only / IIR off / CPU default) to compare with X5 ! That should make "slightly more air ont the X5" point disappear.

Hi,

interesting - I could test that again. But I can't life with FLAC only - won't work for me. 

here my unscientific test:

Cheers,
Ralf

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #16,137 of 18,652
Originally Posted by Koolpep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Koolpep, PLEASE use Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 firmware (FLAC-only / IIR off / CPU default) to compare with X5 ! That should make "slightly more air on the X5" point disappear. "slightly more bass punch (but just a hint) on the X5" point will probably stay since it`s weakest point of DX50 (until You change HO/LO capacitors)
biggrin.gif

But I can't life with FLAC only - won't work for me. 

For sake of hi-fi science - please use some FLACs to compare! I`m not asking to live forever with this setting 
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #16,138 of 18,652
I
For sake of hi-fi science - please use some FLACs to compare! I`m not asking to live forever with this setting :D  

I use mainly FLAC but also ALAC and WAVs for this comparison I have used WAV files 16/44.1

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #16,139 of 18,652
Then use "Lossless only" setting with SU. IIR still off and CPU @ default. I would really appreciate (and some other ppl also) if You`d do this comparing again.
I was thinking about maybe buying X5 in future but after comparing upgraded DX50 (SU FW + Panasonic FC HO/LO capacitors) with A/B switch to my upgraded Aune T1 (60`s Siemens E88CC grey shield goldpin + ELNA SilmicII / Panasonic FR capacitors) and finding out that there`s basically no difference, I`m probably going to abandon this idea. Especially You mentioning it being damn close when using stock 1.6 FW with stock caps.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #16,140 of 18,652
  Then use "Lossless only" setting with SU. IIR still off and CPU @ default. I would really appreciate (and some other ppl also) if You`d do this comparing again.
I was thinking about maybe buying X5 in future but after comparing upgraded DX50 (SU FW + Panasonic FC HO/LO capacitors) with A/B switch to my upgraded Aune T1 (60`s Siemens E88CC grey shield goldpin + ELNA SilmicII / Panasonic FR capacitors) and finding out that there`s basically no difference, I`m probably going to abandon this idea. Especially You mentioning it being damn close when using stock 1.6 FW with stock caps.

Ok,

i will prepare the test, I have a meet with two other senior head-fiers on Friday so I will do the test with them blind :wink: Let's see what they hear.

We will have the following setup:

- DX50
- DX90
- X5
- AK100 Mk2
- AK100/Gloveaudio A1
- AK120
- HE901

I will install the SU 1.3.3 then and do a quick test now if I manage. 

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back