The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 16, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #16,112 of 18,652
  Yes, sounds weird. Here are the reasons I bought the X5:

[..]  
The DX90 is better but when I listened to them both, I found the difference not large enough. And I also bought the DX50 for a great price used. No question the DX90 sounds better and if I would buy a player new, I rather would spend a bit more and get the DX90. But if you have the DX50 it's not a huge upgrade (at least that's what I remember from back then). Things change and I am hearing more details now, since I also have better headphones then 2 years back, so my perspective might change if I would hear a DX90 vs DX50 comparison today...

Cheers,
K

Thanks for your detailed answer!

That makes sense, I did read somewhere with the lattest (unofficial) firmwares DX50's sound quality was getting closer to the sound of the DX90...

BTW regarding sound quality & soundstage, was the Fiio X5 a huge upgrade coming from the DX50?
With your 'better headphones' can you hear a big difference between both?

Thanks & Cheers :)

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #16,113 of 18,652

Thanks for your detailed answer!

That makes sense, I did read somewhere with the lattest (unofficial) firmwares DX50's sound quality was getting closer to the sound of the DX90...

BTW regarding sound quality & soundstage, was the Fiio X5 a huge upgrade coming from the DX50?
With your 'better headphones' can you hear a big difference between both?

Thanks & Cheers :)

Good question.

I have yet to do another blind test with my input switcher. Last time I tested the X5 in with the C5D as amp.  I shall do a test DAP alone DX50, X5, AK100 Mk2 Sunday or Monday and will let you know....

Cheers,
K

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #16,114 of 18,652

Good question.

I have yet to do another blind test with my input switcher. Last time I tested the X5 in with the C5D as amp.  I shall do a test DAP alone DX50, X5, AK100 Mk2 Sunday or Monday and will let you know....

Cheers,
K

Cool. Looking forward to it. The X5 doesn't read exFAT so I couldn't try them at the store. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #16,116 of 18,652

Which SU version does it sound like?

I'm not sure, but it sounds less interesting than version based on the old platform(I prefer use it for my own). I can PM you the latest version based on 1.2.2 but it has  problem with uninstalling.

Wish You could fix that uninstall issue. 1.2.2 SUexp is very good sounding FW otherwise and I think it is on par or even better than SU 1.3.3, though it sounds littlebit different and depends what HPs are being used etc. 

Haven`t tested your new RSU yet but will do it sometime soon. Atm, burning in all those Panasonic FC caps (installed totally fresh ones since it is final setup and I will close DX50 enclosure).

Loving how this DAP sounds now! 
tongue.gif

Dmitry, I really recommend You to do capacitor upgrade!
wink.gif
 If You haven`t done it already of course...

Replace stock Jovials either with Nichicon FG, Panasonic FC or Vishay BC 038 RSU - great upgrade anyway.
Which one of those 3 to choose is really up to user gear, ears and preference. I recommend to test all those 3 before installing them permanently (don`t forget to give them some burn-in time before choosing).

LO caps have been burning-in for about 8h and still fresh but as far as my psychoacoustic memory tells me, with Panasonic FC caps LO is littlebit more clearer, detailed, punchier and tight than with Nichicon FW. I`m doing A/B with my Aune T1 setup and I think DX50 LO might even sound better. Not sure though, must spend more time comparing.

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #16,117 of 18,652

Which SU version does it sound like?

I'm not sure, but it sounds less interesting than version based on the old platform(I prefer use it for my own). I can PM you the latest version based on 1.2.2 but it has  problem with uninstalling.

I would like that. I am fluent with using rkbatchtool, so uninstalling wouldn't be a problem. Not that I would want to at this point as 1.2.2ex is by far the best sounding firmware in my opinion.

Jan 17, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #16,118 of 18,652
  Rockbox Sound Unlocked 1.0.0

- suitable for someone who does not like the original rockbox sound signature
- based on the original 1.6.0
- includes ArgelErx's cleanup ps4 + Cholero modern_ui rockbox build
- arc-en-ciel Theme installed by default
- no more problems with an uninstall process

Install:

Suppose you have some stock version(without CWM):
- unpack su_rockbox_1.0.0.7z to the root of the internal drive of your DX50
- do update (Settings -> Advanced -> System Update)

Suppose you have RSU beta:
- copy update.img from  su_rockbox_1.0.0.7z to the root of the SD card of your DX50 
- use recovery for update

Uninstall :
- use recovery

I'm trying it right now.. I'll come back with my opinion as I'm one of those who didin't like the original rockbox sound.

Thank you for this!

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #16,119 of 18,652
I can't have access to the original firmware but the sound with this rockbox seems fine. I do not feel the "bassy" sound like the other rockbox I tried.
The interface with this theme is really good and It's seems the problems with battery level and with backlight have been solved. Again no sound stuttering which is the best thing to me! 

Thank you a lot!

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #16,120 of 18,652
I agree with Hellkitchen : the RSU 1.0.0 sound is the best Rockbox I have ever heard, not too bassy, clear and detailled.
Nevertheless, I still prefer the "old" SU1.3.3 sound !

Note : I'm using 192kHz / 24 bits tracks with a Senn Momentum headset or with Hifiman RE400 IEM.

Jan 17, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #16,121 of 18,652
  ...or test Your own setting and find what fits best, these are just 2 main different sounding settings to start with.

OK, so I've tried installing the Sound Unlocked 1.4.0 firmware, using the method for firmware installation included in the DX50 manual: 1.) Copy the SU 1.4.0. "update.img" file into the root directory of the DX50, 2.) Disconnect from computer, 3.) Select "System Update," 4.) Once it reboots, select "Factory Reset" to get rid of residual settings from previous firmware, 5.) Delete "update.img."

I then tried to access the "hidden" startup menu that's part of Sound Unlocked 1.4.0, using the instructions that you provided: 1.) Shut the DX50 off, 2.) Slide "Hold" button to "on" position, 3.) Turn on DX50, 4.) Choose "FLAC/irr off/cpu default," 5.) Slide hold button to "off" position.

It then returns me to the UI, but now none of the files/tracks will play.  Each file/track reads "0 kbit, 0.00 kHz," and no sound comes out of the player.  I tried to re-scan the library, and the problem still persists.  Also, the system information function on the DX50 still indicates that the player is running firmware 1.6.0, even though I installed Sound Unlocked 1.4.0. 

No matter how many times I try to repeat the process, I get the same result every time.  Going into the "hidden" startup menu seems to trigger the problem, as one time I just installed the Sound Unlocked 1.4.0 firmware and then didn't go to the "hidden" startup menu, and the tracks played OK.  

What am I doing incorrectly?  Why can't I get the files/tracks to play with the Sound Unlocked 1.4.0 firmware?

If I go back and do another "Factory Reset" after the problem appears, I can play the files/tracks OK again.  But once I do this I assume that either the Sound Unlocked 1.4.0 firmware or the "hidden" menu settings are no longer engaged.

Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks!   

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #16,124 of 18,652
  With hidden menu settings can only play FLAC files. The other files are still there but not played.
I guess ud. did not know. If not, I apologize for not being able to help.
regards

Oh, OK.  Did not know that.  Though I think I tried to play some FLAC files and the same thing happened, but I will double-check.

So, two follow-up questions:

1.) Do the Sound Unlocked firmwares natively have a different tone/sound signature than the iBasso firmwares?  By that I mean even without the hidden menu settings applied. 

2.) Are there options in the hidden menu for playing all files with irr on or off and/or different cpu settings?  I ask because I notice that you have to select FLAC, so maybe there is another option as well to play all files?

And if the answer to both of the above questions is no, are there any iBasso firmwares that folks find to be more neutral sounding than others?  (This was my original question, before folks pointed me to the Sound Unlocked firmwares, which I did not know about.)

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Jan 17, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #16,125 of 18,652

With hidden menu settings can only play FLAC files. The other files are still there but not played.

I guess ud. did not know. If not, I apologize for not being able to help.

regards

Oh, OK.  Did not know that.  Though I think I tried to play some FLAC files and the same thing happened, but I will double-check.

So, two follow-up questions:

1.) Do the Sound Unlocked firmwares natively have a different tone/sound signature than the iBasso firmwares?  By that I mean even without the hidden menu settings applied. 

2.) Are there options in the hidden menu for playing all files with irr on or off and/or different cpu settings?  I ask because I notice that you have to select FLAC, so maybe there is another option as well to play all files?

And if the answer to both of the above questions is no, are there any iBasso firmwares that folks find to be more neutral sounding than others?  (This was my original question, before folks pointed me to the Sound Unlocked firmwares, which I did not know about.)

Thanks in advance for any insight!

You can select all file types, but the sound is even better if you are able to use FLAC only. Even with all file types SU is an improvement over all of the other firmwares in my opinion. You can also change the IRR setting and CPU frequency as well and it will affect all of your music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back