The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 31, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #15,946 of 18,652
Wow so many things you touched on there, but to answer your question yes.  The buzzing hasn't happened today, but I played with it and it got less apparent with high gain, but in low gain it was pretty loud.

I'm changing the SD card after work (hoping this fixes the freezing I currently experience with my sandisk sd card)

I'll also do a factory reset and install a different FW so see if it will fix these problems.  Wish me luck guys!

Happy Listening!

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #15,947 of 18,652
Listening to (TOOL/ 10,000 Days/ The Pot) this morning!!
My main push right now is to find a nice set of headphones maybe in the $200 - 400 range and then maybe an DAC/Amp to push them.
I'm using my sons Sennheiser HD280's with no EQ and I'm not really digging the low end bass and drums.

xblue.  Absolutely love Tool!  (My license plate is 46&2AHED.)  Sounds like we have similar tastes in music.

When I started this journey, my wife bought me a set of AKG K-702 for our Anniversary.  It seems like those are very popular (head-fi) entry level headphones.  But I feel that they definitely need to be pushed well.  They are available on Amazon for 259.  Probably get them for less on the for-sale/trade forum.  I bought a Headstage Arrow (2.2 Generation at the time) to drive them.  But I still didn't feel that did very well.  Second set of cans was the Grado RS1i.  I definitely recommend this for Rock/Metal/Blues.  Very lively, energetic and in your face cans.  You don't need the extra amp to push the Grados.  You should also be able to find those and other Grado's at some high end stereo or home theater shops in your area.  But they are not 2-400.  But you wouldn't need an amp to start.  I haven't heard the HD280's but I have the Sennheiser Momentum (over ear).  Those are extremely fun cans and would fit your criteria.  I got mine from Moon Audio, but I've read that Apple store and Best Buy (magnolia) carry them.

My suggestion from what I've learned is this.  Do your research, and then buy the best quality that you can afford at the time.  The RSA Intruder and TH900s are not cheap, but I feel are the best sounding quality rig for me.  And they match well with the DX50.  (See.  I'm still on topic.)

What are your tricks with album art?

7S Cameron.
1.  As I mentioned earlier, I rip everything with db PowerAmp.  I usually just take whatever art shows up for the default metadata.  Because I replace it in step 2.
2a.  Then I open the FLAC files in Media Monkey (free version).  I highlight the entire album, and delete all the art that is currently there.
  b.  Then I open Album Art Exchange.  Awesome website for art.  (If you are USA, then you are golden.  If not, I hear there are problems with foreign IP addresses.)  I copy a high quality jpg.  I target 800x800 to 600x600.   I personally don't care about the album art size.  I haven't had any problems yet, so I go for high quality.
  c.  I save it as (cover) and I have it replace what is currently in the direcory (which is normally labeled cover.png or something like that.  I replace it with "Album Title".jpg  (where Album title is the exact name of the album you just ripped.  Media Monkey will do that automatically if you set it up right in the settings.
3.  After that i convert the FLAC to 320MP3 for Itunes and import to Itunes.  When I open it there, I also copy the album art to Itunes.

Not really much to it.  I know that a lot of people don't like to have album art in the individual files.  I'm the opposite.  I like album art to show up all the time.  In addition, there is a FLAC Player app for the ipod touch that I used before I got the DX50.  The above steps cover that situation as well.  FLAC Player requires the album art to be in the album title.jpg format to show up.  So I've just been covering my bases for both.  I've never had a problem with album art not showing up on DX50.

Let me know if you have questions.

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #15,948 of 18,652
  I have also been listening to Supertramp also. Especially the album Crisis? What Crisis? Incredible band.

Jetblack08.  I just finished listening to the HD Tracks version of Supertramp's Crime of the Century three times in a row.  This is my very first high quality download.  I think this album just became available recently, and HD tracks had a 15% off sale that ended yesterday.  So I made the plunge.  I will definitely buy more remixes from Supertramp when they get released.

I know that it is a remix, so that could explain some of it, but when I compare this version of 24/192 to the redbook rip 16/44 I have, I can absolutely hear a difference right away.  There is so much more width and depth to the remix HD.  I don't know if that makes me happy or sad.  I would prefer to keep buying CDs and ripping them myself instead of buying high quality downloads.  But I guess I'm going to have to pick up more.  :)

One thing I did notice is that the amount of time for these files to transfer are so much longer than CD rips.  I have heard other people mentioning how long it takes to transfer and scan, but i haven't had this experience before.  Now I see what everyone is referencing.  Good quality takes time.  :)  I just didn't expect it to take that much longer than the FLAC level 5 compression rips.

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #15,949 of 18,652
  Jetblack08.  I just finished listening to the HD Tracks version of Supertramp's Crime of the Century three times in a row.  This is my very first high quality download.  I think this album just became available recently, and HD tracks had a 15% off sale that ended yesterday.  So I made the plunge.  I will definitely buy more remixes from Supertramp when they get released.

I know that it is a remix, so that could explain some of it, but when I compare this version of 24/192 to the redbook rip 16/44 I have, I can absolutely hear a difference right away.  There is so much more width and depth to the remix HD.  I don't know if that makes me happy or sad.  I would prefer to keep buying CDs and ripping them myself instead of buying high quality downloads.  But I guess I'm going to have to pick up more.  :)

One thing I did notice is that the amount of time for these files to transfer are so much longer than CD rips.  I have heard other people mentioning how long it takes to transfer and scan, but i haven't had this experience before.  Now I see what everyone is referencing.  Good quality takes time.  :)  I just didn't expect it to take that much longer than the FLAC level 5 compression rips.

I actually have been listening to music on my playstation 4 on their Music Unlimited app. The sound quality is excellent, but it doesn't get very loud. For this I hooked my iFi amp up to my AKG 702 headphones. Anyways all of Supertramps albums are on this app. Been listening to a lot of Devo also.

Dec 31, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #15,950 of 18,652
Update:
Wow so many things you touched on there, but to answer your question yes.  The buzzing hasn't happened today, but I played with it and it got less apparent with high gain, but in low gain it was pretty loud.

I'm changing the SD card after work (hoping this fixes the freezing I currently experience with my sandisk sd card)

I'll also do a factory reset and install a different FW so see if it will fix these problems.  Wish me luck guys!

Happy Listening!

Update: just came from best buy and they are having a nice sale on Samsung microsd, so I exchanged my 32 gb Sandisk for a 64gb Samsung for $10 more, what a deal! I put my music on and I've had no freezing occur so far! Hope I can now go back to SU 1.3.3 now for that soundstage!

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #15,951 of 18,652
Has anyone noticed it being a bit more "bright"?  Upgraded from 1.5.0 to 1.6.0 and to me it sounds a bit harsh/bright.  Haven't given it a good listen though...

Jan 1, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #15,956 of 18,652
With NDFFF gapless should work.

Btw, what has happened to Medmitry github webpage? It says closed and all the change descriptions are gone. I guess it must be related to some arguing in rockbox thread but not sure.
I hope he continues to do great work for us and luckily atm 1.3.3 and 1.4 are still downloadable.

Edit: 

Quote:

As far as I know, and has been reported elsewhere, all the sound unlocked mod does is add a different EQ curve to the signal, most likely in the midrange, similar to what the stock firmware does, only slightly different. 

A very good example is Lurker's mod in DX90. The change is completely transparent and documented. Rockbox directly benefitted. By removing non-essential processes running in the background and setting the CPU to the maximum supported clock speed, it helps completely remove stuttering in Rockbox.

LMAO. Isn`t that what Medmitry also did?! But giving us option to choose CPU speed (it does affect sound) plus decoder related options and removed some non-essential processing. 

I can see now why Medmitry pulled out of conversation @ RB thread. Just a different EQ curve? Really? And those guys didn`t even try his version of SU RB FW and claiming all who hear difference having placebo?
Well, seems like I`m having placebo all the time when testing different FW`s ...so don`t rely on my words (ears) anymore guys! 
biggrin.gif

Medmitry, if You happen to read this then know that Your work is greatly appreciated!
beerchug.gif

If You decide not to develop SU further, then I`m really thankful for SU 1.3.3 ! 

Jan 1, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #15,958 of 18,652
  With NDFFF gapless should work.

Btw, what has happened to Medmitry github webpage? It says closed and all the change descriptions are gone. I guess it must be related to some arguing in rockbox thread but not sure.
I hope he continues to do great work for us and luckily atm 1.3.3 and 1.4 are still downloadable.

Edit: 

Quote:

As far as I know, and has been reported elsewhere, all the sound unlocked mod does is add a different EQ curve to the signal, most likely in the midrange, similar to what the stock firmware does, only slightly different. 

A very good example is Lurker's mod in DX90. The change is completely transparent and documented. Rockbox directly benefitted. By removing non-essential processes running in the background and setting the CPU to the maximum supported clock speed, it helps completely remove stuttering in Rockbox.

LMAO. Isn`t that what Medmitry also did?! But giving us option to choose CPU speed (it does affect sound) plus decoder related options and removed some non-essential processing. 

I can see now why Medmitry pulled out of conversation @ RB thread. Just a different EQ curve? Really? And those guys didn`t even try his version of SU RB FW and claiming all who hear difference having placebo?
Well, seems like I`m having placebo all the time when testing different FW`s ...so don`t rely on my words (ears) anymore guys! 
biggrin.gif

Medmitry, if You happen to read this then know that Your work is greatly appreciated!
beerchug.gif

If You decide not to develop SU further, then I`m really thankful for SU 1.3.3 ! 

That thread is getting ridiculous...

I love all of medmitry's work!

Jan 1, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #15,960 of 18,652
Really?? Let medmitry respond to the question asked on the Rockbox thread instead of turning the discussion into fanboyism. No need to discuss it here since the topic is about rockbox not the SU mod.

Mashing, manipulating responses from the other thread and posting it here does not bear any fruitful discussions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back