The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 9, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #15,781 of 18,652
Please don`t exaggerate. Yes, HO isn`t so good as LO but it`s ok and I dare to say, that after capacitor change and with custom FW even very good sounding.
I don`t feel any need for external portable amp anymore. But of course opinions are subjective and depends also HPs/IEMs used.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #15,783 of 18,652
I think I've hit a brick wall here, and need some expertise.

To summarise. My player had got a bit screwed up so I reinstalled firmware and did factory reset as suggested by some posters. Player seems to be functioning ok again, eg can use menu, sync music to player, see player on my PC etc. However when I try to play song back on internal memory, or sd card,  I cannot hear the music- all I can hear is a sort of high pitched whiney sound/humming. Don't think its the headphone socket, or headphones. Anybody able to help?

Thanks in advance

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #15,784 of 18,652
Originally Posted by gryffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I cannot hear the music- all I can hear is a sort of high pitched whiney sound/humming. Don't think its the headphone socket, or headphones.

Sounds like you attached headphones into S/PDIF (at the top), not into headphone output (at the bottom).

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #15,786 of 18,652
For me DX50 sounds a bit hollow , and no dynamics.

Quote:
  I tried 3 FW and none could fix it. I dont know if hardware mod can fix it.

Then I think we are hearing things just differently. No hollow sound for me when using SU 1.3.3 @ flac/irr off/cpu default. Dynamics are also very good. Now with FC caps it is on par with my desktop setup (about what to say no dynamics would be totally wrong).
Even with stock capacitors it was quite good but yes, it was somewhat too warm sound and lacked littlebit clarity and transparency. Just to be sure... maybe You are mixing hollow and soundstage openness/air (layering)?

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #15,787 of 18,652
aaarggh,

You're right of course. I havent been using the player for months as had been using phone for music. Anyway I dug the player out again but in the past I got so used to utilising this player with a dac that I was just so used to using the 2 sockets at the bottom. I was not using the dac and in my naivety/forgetfulness I just thought the one at the top was for phones as well. 

Cheers

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #15,788 of 18,652
Now that I have got the player working again (thanks to all for help) I thought I would try out some hi res files on the player. Sync-ed a couple of songs using Windows Media Player, worked ok on WMP side of things, however even though the player recognises the songs it will not play them. Hit the play button and nothing happens. 
No doubt I am missing something obvious and I need to do something before the player will play hi res files,  but any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #15,789 of 18,652
I have a Topping NX1 which I used to use as I heard that using an amp through the line-out gave better results but my headphones aren't high impedence and I just don't think I need it anymore. I think it sounds great through headphone out, I don't need lots of bass and I love the wide soundstage and separation.

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #15,790 of 18,652
  I received my DX50 today morning. Have been listening to it all day. Installed SU1.4, SU1.3.3 ,Doc firmware and back to stock. For some reason I am not too excited to get it. Have been using J3 and hifime sabre dac before. For me DX50 sounds a bit hollow , and no dynamics. Not sure if I should give some time for burnin.
I used westone4 and gr07 for listening today.

Definitely give it some time! iBasso recommends a lot of burn in. I think they say around 200 hours or more is ideal. The depth and dynamics will improve dramatically over time. I recommend using SU 1.4 and turning IRR off and keeping the CPU at default. If you are able set it to lossless or FLAC. You will have the least amount of android processes running when using the FLAC setting and it really improves the sound in my opinion.

The gain settings make a big difference as well. With my ES700 I find them to be a bit boring at low gain, but at mid gain they have lots of energy. I use either low gain or mid gain depending on the headphones I am listening with. If they have a lot of energy already and are bright sounding headphones I use low gain. If they are smooth or very mid centric then I use mid gain. I've never found high gain to sound better with any of the headphones I own.

With SU 1.4 and those settings I find the HO to sound fantastic! Keep in mind I have a lot of hours on mine. The LO is something else though! When I use the line out with my stereo setup the sound is unbelievable!

Dec 9, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #15,791 of 18,652
  Now that I have got the player working again (thanks to all for help) I thought I would try out some hi res files on the player. Sync-ed a couple of songs using Windows Media Player, worked ok on WMP side of things, however even though the player recognises the songs it will not play them. Hit the play button and nothing happens. 
No doubt I am missing something obvious and I need to do something before the player will play hi res files,  but any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Has anybody synced hi res files to this player? If so please let me know the method you used.

Thanks in advance

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #15,793 of 18,652
   Has anybody synced hi res files to this player? If so please let me know the method you used.

Thanks in advance

drag drop

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #15,794 of 18,652

Thanks in advance

Sussed it. I had downloaded the files as WMA format. Re-downloaded the files as FLAC and bingo they will play. Not sure why the ibasso wont play WMA files but that's for another day.

The problem I now have is that the player does not seem to be tagging the files properly, so all the FLAC files I have synced to the player are  going under "unknown artist" which is hopeless really. 
Any tagging experts? :)

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back