The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 10, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #15,811 of 18,652

No. Spent A LOT of time reading about possible contenders and hearing out recommendations. Q701 was one of them and glad I didn`t buy them, X1 is perfect for me
wink.gif
If I would have to choose again, then would take X2 for sure.

I only asked this because I know you have the x1 and have been looking and reading about the x2 and q701 and can't decide between the two ,I do like a good wide open soundstage then again I like base too so I'm stuck beetween a rock and a hard place so my question is does the x1 or x2 in your eyes have that immersive quality and that mmmm factor .

There are few things You should question from Yourself imo:
1) Do You prefer more stretched into width soundstage (middle point of soundstage more intimate and "inside" Your head - Q701) or more depth towards front (middle point of soundstage more distant and "outside" of Your head - X1(littlebit larger(deeper) soundstage) / X2). Some ppl can perceive latter as "hollow" and it depends on taste. 
2) Are Your ears sensitive to highs and brighter signature? X1/X2 are leaned littlebit to warm side and have smoother presentation, also very involving bass (X1 is littlebit more bass emphasized but with proper matching amp/dac can even out). 
3) What is Your head size and do You have problems with weight?

I think that Q701 would probably suit better for more analytical listener and X1/X2 for just enjoying music (while still being able of "analytical").

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #15,813 of 18,652
  Can someone explain please what is irr bandwidth?

Maybe he is just curious? I'd like to know what it means too, but I obviously won't get an answer here...

Just clarify, I already answered in this thread that IIR stands for Infinite Impulse Response(yep, SU interface has a typo, IIR is true). You can find more information using Google.

iir_bandwidth -  some option which implemented as part of WM8740 sound driver interface, you can enable/disable this filter using SU menu.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #15,814 of 18,652
Thank you for that insight very helpfull,
I would say that I prefer a sound that is not to close in my head ( in my head)
Outside my head is what I am aiming for , I like space between instruments
That are not to close to my ears , vocals that are dead centre ( good rich mids)
With lots of warmth.
Highs I am quite sensitive to so I do not like bright highs but at the same time
Like them to be airy too . My head is not big so think the X1 will fit fine and
I prefer the look of the X1 but would need to change the cable due to its high
Impedance , so due to your opinion on all three cans I would say the X1 would
Suit me the best .
What cable are you using for the X1 and what amp dac do you think would be
Suited to the X1 was thinking of the 02 what do you think .

Thanks again great help have to order tomorrow .:)

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #15,815 of 18,652
There are few things You should question from Yourself imo:
1) Do You prefer more stretched into width soundstage (middle point of soundstage more intimate and "inside" Your head - Q701) or more depth towards front (middle point of soundstage more distant and "outside" of Your head - X1(littlebit larger(deeper) soundstage) / X2). Some ppl can perceive latter as "hollow" and it depends on taste. 
2) Are Your ears sensitive to highs and brighter signature? X1/X2 are leaned littlebit to warm side and have smoother presentation, also very involving bass (X1 is littlebit more bass emphasized but with proper matching amp/dac can even out). 
3) What is Your head size and do You have problems with weight?

I think that Q701 would probably suit better for more analytical listener and X1/X2 for just enjoying music (while still being able of "analytical").
Thank you for that insight very helpfull,
I would say that I prefer a sound that is not to close in my head ( in my head)
Outside my head is what I am aiming for , I like space between instruments
That are not to close to my ears , vocals that are dead centre ( good rich mids)
With lots of warmth.
Highs I am quite sensitive to so I do not like bright highs but at the same time
Like them to be airy too . My head is not big so think the X1 will fit fine and
I prefer the look of the X1 but would need to change the cable due to its high
Impedance , so due to your opinion on all three cans I would say the X1 would
Suit me the best .
What cable are you using for the X1 and what amp dac do you think would be
Suited to the X1 was thinking of the 02 what do you think .

Thanks again great help have to order tomorrow .smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #15,816 of 18,652
Nich ...PM. This is getting OT :wink: I think You may have understood me somewhat different maybe. Don`t rush.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #15,820 of 18,652

Can someone explain please what is irr bandwidth?

Maybe he is just curious? I'd like to know what it means too, but I obviously won't get an answer here...

Just clarify, I already answered in this thread that IIR stands for Infinite Impulse Response(yep, SU interface has a typo, IIR is true). You can find more information using Google.

iir_bandwidth -  some option which implemented as part of WM8740 sound driver interface, you can enable/disable this filter using SU menu.

Thanks for the information medmitry! I thought I remembered you explaining it before, but I couldn't find it. I just felt like the otherbers weren't being very helpful by questioning a member about why they have a question. SU 1.4 is amazing by the way! You were able to pull me away from the functionality of Rockbox because the sound of 1.4 is just so good!

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #15,821 of 18,652
  https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked (note that SU has hidden bootup settings menu, don`t forget to set it to Your liking. Imo best is FLAC/irr off/cpu default)

http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=139417&page=103&p=1521785&viewfull=1#post1521785

Got my DX50 today and it does sound very good indeed.
Have the SU on it now and liking what I hear, but where is this hidden settings menu?

Dec 10, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #15,822 of 18,652
Which SU version did You install? IMHO 1.3.3 @ flac/iir off/cpu default is better than 1.4 but depends on other gear in chain and taste etc. also, just my subjective opinion :wink:

You can access hidden menu like this:

Sound Unlocked has "Hidden" bootup menu. To access it You must:

1) Turn OFF DX50 
2) Slide HOLD button to ON/LOCKED position
3) Turn ON DX50 while hold button is still ON/LOCKED position
4) You will lauch into bootup menu where You can select different settings. Choose what You prefer.
    I recommend to start with FLAC/irr off/cpu default (for large airy soundstage) or FLAC/irr on/cpu 312 (for more intimate/foward soundstage)
5) Slide hold button to OFF position and player will return into UI using settings You selected. They will stay regardless restart/turn on-off until You change them.

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #15,824 of 18,652
hi guys, i am just starting to get involved in hi-fi audio and i am looking for proper dap and desktop dac/amp. I was thinking for dx50 and audinst mx1 accordingly, but the idea of getting dx90 for all in one dap and desktop dac/amp seems very good, for the same money as dx50+mx1 i can get a far better sound. I know dx50/90 have problems in drivers but maybe they will get better. I will be using hd598 at home and vsonic vsd3s for the on the go. Any comment will be appreciated.

Dec 16, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #15,825 of 18,652
Code:
[left] Hello everyone , I am writing because I have a problem , today I took my DX50 , worked yesterday , and turns on with the screen completely white , the PC does not see it . it has happened to someone ? thanks[/left]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back