The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 7, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #15,736 of 18,652
6min13sec of chills all over body... Paolo Nutini - Iron Sky ....sounds just sooo awesome with Panasonic FC caps + SU 1.3.3 @ flac/irr off/cpu default. So great huge soundstage and imaging... oh man... I`m so glad that I bought this little black "box". Never expected it to reach same SQ level as my desktop setup 
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #15,738 of 18,652
Why do You care? This kind of soundstage, imaging, clarity and neutral natural sound (slightly warm tilted) isn`t for You anyway suitable. Don`t expect any wonders from Nichicon KW/FW/KA/SW/FG. Like I have said already - capacitors won`t solve Your "problem".

Dec 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #15,740 of 18,652
Anyone can explain how the digital filters work? Sharp off and roll off I mean. And anyone has been able to get an HD working by otg connection? I was able to play files only located on a USB key but not on 2.5inch external HD!

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #15,741 of 18,652
6min13sec of chills all over body... Paolo Nutimi - Iron Sky ....sounds just sooo awesome with Panasonic FC caps + SU 1.3.3 @ flac/irr off/cpu default. So great huge soundstage and imaging... oh man... I`m so glad that I bought this little black "box". Never expected it to reach same SQ level as my desktop setup :p
would be nice if you could send me a link of how to do what you did with your dx50 sounds very interesting would love to try this a few tips of where you buy the caps and were they go in the dx50 good to hear that its improved since the upgrade and with su 1.3.3 must sound awesome .

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #15,742 of 18,652
As much as I know, digital filter should affect only LO. Not sure though how it works. About HD, sometimes it takes time to show up.
My larger USB stick with OTG cable also sometimes takes littlebit time to show up. It is probably trying to read basic info from it. And just to be sure, check that You have correct OTG cable.

@Nicholasheadfi2 -» http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #15,743 of 18,652
  As much as I know, digital filter should affect only LO. Not sure though how it works. About HD, sometimes it takes time to show up.
My larger USB stick with OTG cable also sometimes takes littlebit time to show up. It is probably trying to read basic info from it. And just to be sure, check that You have correct OTG cable.

@Nicholasheadfi2 -» http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods

Digital filter applies to both LO and HO. The filter is applied at the DAC level. 

@Hellkitchen

Read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roll-off

Basically all DACs filter out frequencies greater than 22Khz. But the slope of the cut varies.

The sharp roll off basically applies a steep cut/roll in cutting the data around 22Khz

Slow roll is a gradual or shallow cut. Which seems to allow a little bit of high frequency data above 22Khz.

Some people associate sharp roll off to being digital sounding response and slow roll off to analogue.

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #15,744 of 18,652
Thanks for information. I have used it always as slow roll-off but I can`t detect any difference between fast/slow.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #15,746 of 18,652
I`m 30 and my ears are quite sensitive to highs (that`s why I prefer slightly softer overall sound). I haven`t done proper slow vs. fast comparing though, I basically kept it always on slow. But times that I did switch between slow/fast didn`t made difference to me.

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #15,747 of 18,652
Because you've already said that with Panasonic FC you have better bass,and this is the cheapest and easiest mod by now.If you had creative ep-830 headphones,I bet you never talk about soundstage, imaging, clarity and neutral natural sound.if everything works perfect for you,I think you can accept that not everything works fine for someone else.If this was the gold,between high end players,I don't think 2 different kind of headphones would sound so bad with it,and another one,which are basshead ones,don't have so much bass at all!and please don't say go and listen music from you're smarphone,as far as I know,my last 2 years I have used Cowon j3,and that one really had the kick,but,dx50 have better "the rest",but I still find some sounds to loud and sometimes tiring,and from here comes the problem with my ears hurting me after 2 hours of listening.If you're headhones sound amazing with dx50,and changing caps made a difference,you don't know what impact will have with my headphones,and for 5gbp,I think it's worth the mod!thank you for testing them and share youre thoughts with us

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #15,748 of 18,652
Thank you guys for the answers, I use sharp roll off but to be honest I'm not sure if I can hear the differences. For the HD story.. So in your experience it is possible to make a 2.5 HD works via OTG? I tried with a WD elements 500gb but the HD led start to pulse and it won't start.. No matter how long I wait!

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #15,749 of 18,652
Are You using additional USB power for Your HDD (via Y-USB power cable)?

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #15,750 of 18,652
Are You using additional USB power for Your HDD (via Y-USB power cable)?

That, most device offering OTG, like DX50, simply do not have enough power to run a mechanic HD off their OTG port. That is why you see the light blink, but when drive attempt spin up there just not enough power to run it all and stop.

You will need a HD with it's own power supply or use, as suggested by Coil, some splitter to get power off another USB connector from a power source, like USB cable to a wall power adapter or a hub. But make sure connection are right, otherwise you just be charging the DX50 and still not provide the power to your HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back