The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #14,746 of 18,652
I wish You hadn`t said it lol, Got to try it now 
biggrin.gif
 For what it counts, I think SU haven`t had recessed mids yet. More like too much highs or something.

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #14,747 of 18,652
  Hey guys, I pushed to the repo another "sound signature" update. I highly recommend to update your 1.3.3/1.3.4 if you hear some sound distortion/artefacts(or your ears get tired quickly).

https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked
Android libraries configuration "tails" are removed to prevent sound distortion.

This is the last beta update before next release. Need a feedback about SQ.
BTW, this version based on 1.3.3, no "boot menu" freezes/etc. 

Thx Dima!

By the way with both 1.33 and 1.3.4 I heard no distortions with any headphones used.....am I getting deaf?
wink_face.gif

Aug 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #14,748 of 18,652
yeah, i don't know how to describe it, but i used ma750's and they're very v shaped, and with irr always the mids just lost their impact. so far it seems better with 1.5 but need to play around more. Also have to take into account that i just had my set replaced because the filters got clogged up with dirt. I still can't believe they can't just replace the filters, instead they replace whole earphones.'

Aug 20, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #14,749 of 18,652
I think mids are a bit more forward with 1.3.3, irr on, 312, FLAC, than with stock 1.5.0.   Now I'm using Line Out through a JDS C5 amp so that may change things.  

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #14,750 of 18,652

medmitry, I haven`t experienced any sound distortions/artefacts with 1.3.3 and so comes my question - in case of 1.3.5beta with "sound signature changed" You mean it changed back from 1.3.4beta to 1.3.3 ?...or is it different from original 1.3.3 stable version? Or difference comes into play only when IRR and CPU functions are being used? I`m asking it because most of the playtime I don`t use IRR and CPU and want to know if there is any point updating FW.

Thx Dima!

By the way with both 1.33 and 1.3.4 I heard no distortions with any headphones used.....am I getting deaf? 
wink_face.gif

CoiL, Yanec, it's just the experiment :) I don't hear any distortion too. But some people hear and seems like 1.3.5 changes help them.
As for me, 1.3.5 has different soundstage, less dynamics(more boring). I prefer 1.3.3/1.3.4 sound signature :)
The main point.. Should we add those changes as option to a release?

Thanks!

PS I try to release a new SU version after next official version update :)

UPDATED
I had tested 1.3.5 a little longer and seems like the sound signature in "FLAC/iir on/312kHz/mid gain" mode very similar to my xonar STX(need a liitle bit more power/depth/clarity but soundstage very similar) I used HD25-II for testing, STX with default omaps :) 

Anyway, I'm tired. So the next release would be the last one. 
Those magic changes(CPU freq/deleting unused android libs/deleting configuration of UNUSED DELETED libs/etc) which change a sound signature drive me crazy :D

Aug 20, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #14,751 of 18,652
Had mine for a little while.  Except for the LCD screen has slight issues (discoloring on some lines of the screen) everything else works great.

I can bring it anywhere I go.  Want to do line out I can, want to use it as a digital transport (which so far sounds great BTW) I can too.  Actually I'm using this more as a digital transport for my Audio GD Compass 2.  Just purchased a custom made Black Dragon Mini Coax cable from Moon-Audio that will replace the one that comes with the DX50 (default cable is too short for its own good).  

Thing is so useful in many different situations for the price. And I haven't even use the USB DAC part of the device yet! 

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #14,752 of 18,652
Has anyone tried plugging DX50 into a speaker system (big amp big loudspeakers and stuffs)? I'd like your opinion. Mine gives new life to the old Denon amplifier and speakers that I've had for nearly 15 years.

Aug 21, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #14,753 of 18,652
Of course. Most of time I use it instead my upgraded Aune T1 with E88CC because comfort. I just come home, put it on stand, connect line-out cable and voila! No messing with PC. And depending on setup used Sound Unlocked FW is really good with its two main "sound signatures" (two settings I mentioned before).

Aug 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM Post #14,755 of 18,652

Hope that last one will be THE BEST ! PERIOD 
biggrin.gif

Going to test .5 today and see if it`s better for me than 1.3.3. 

......but I`m still hoping You secretly keep tuning Your SU FW when You are bored or something :wink:

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #14,758 of 18,652
  CoiL, Yanec, it's just the experiment :) I don't hear any distortion too. But some people hear and seems like 1.3.5 changes help them.
As for me, 1.3.5 has different soundstage, less dynamics(more boring). I prefer 1.3.3/1.3.4 sound signature :)
The main point.. Should we add those changes as option to a release?

Thanks!

PS I try to release a new SU version after next official version update :)

UPDATED
I had tested 1.3.5 a little longer and seems like the sound signature in "FLAC/iir on/312kHz/mid gain" mode very similar to my xonar STX(need a liitle bit more power/depth/clarity but soundstage very similar) I used HD25-II for testing, STX with default omaps :) 

Those magic changes(CPU freq/deleting unused android libs/deleting configuration of UNUSED DELETED libs/etc) which change a sound signature drive me crazy :D

Comparing it to the STX means the DX50 is really shining!

What is the differences in sound signature due to in .3 vs .4 vs .5 ? What filters or libraries did you remove/modify and what was their effect?

Last version means that nothing more can be done to improve the sound even further in the direction of neutrality and pure professional flat signature - am I right? Nothing left to take out of the path in terms to improve the sound tract?

Cheers!

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #14,759 of 18,652

Hope that last one will be THE BEST ! PERIOD 
biggrin.gif

Going to test .5 today and see if it`s better for me than 1.3.3. 

......but I`m still hoping You secretly keep tuning Your SU FW when You are bored or something :wink:

Oh forgot... I hope You are kind enough and still have energy to add 24h backlight ON setting instead 10min. Would be great to use it on table stand like this :wink:

About SU .5beta - I still definitely prefer IRR OFF / CPU @ Default over any irr + cpu config. Soundstage is just totally different with irr on + cpu. I prefer larger airier soundstage with more distance between instruments and more depth towards front/middle. Actually I think with irr on + cpu soundstage is narrower, more pushed into front but with less sense of depth and width. I did comparing with Omar R.L. - Hands vs. Helix (EAC FLAC) and irr on + cpu settings just doesn`t cut it. Less sense of soundstage, separation, dynamics, musicality etc. Maybe with closed and smaller soundstage limited cans it is good but with Fidelio X1 I find irr off + cpu default much better. It`s actually damn close to my upgraded Aune T1 with Siemens E88CC. But I`m not still sure if 1.3.3 or 1.3.5beta is better with this setting. This takes longer time for me to test. 

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #14,760 of 18,652

Comparing it to the STX means the DX50 is really shining!

What is the differences in sound signature due to in .3 vs .4 vs .5 ? What filters or libraries did you remove/modify and what was their effect?

Last version means that nothing more can be done to improve the sound even further in the direction of neutrality and pure professional flat signature - am I right? Nothing left to take out of the path in terms to improve the sound tract?

Cheers!

I can't give you simple answers :) (PM you later)

Oh forgot... I hope You are kind enough and still have energy to add 24h backlight ON setting instead 10min. Would be great to use it on table stand like this :wink:

I remember it.
BTW it can be done in your personal version of SU :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back