The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #14,521 of 18,652
Try Sound Unlocked 1.3.3 @ FLAC mode and You will be probably even more surprised :wink:
For me most of those sound explosion FW`s sounded artificial. I also tried other custom FW`s & rockbox but so far SU has the cleanest and accurate sound. 

Also, after some testing I found that with my Fidelio X1 I prefer different setting than with my external amped speakers.
X1 (head-out) -->  FLAC-only + IRR OFF + CPU default + mid gain
Speakers (line-out) --> FLAC-only + IRR ON + CPU 312kHz

With X1 settings speakers soundstage felt littlebit too distant and thus not so clear instruments separation/positioning.
Differences are small though but for my ears noticeable. And I have quite cheap modified speakers system also so it is probably because of that sound reproduction "quality".

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #14,522 of 18,652
SU 1.3.4(beta)
  1. Sound signature changed

Email or PM me if you think that the previous version sounds better. That's OK if no differences for you or this version sounds better than the previous one.

download - https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked/raw/master/releases/dx50_sound_unlocked_1.3.4_beta.7z

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #14,523 of 18,652
  SU 1.3.4(beta)
  1. Sound signature changed

Email or PM me if you think that the previous version sounds better. That's OK if no differences for you or this version sounds better than the previous one.

download - https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked/raw/master/releases/dx50_sound_unlocked_1.3.4_beta.7z

BTW, no any "EQ" is involved, just some more stuff disabled(more details after release). The difference should be good noticeable if you are using FLAC/Irr ON/312kHz mode. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #14,524 of 18,652

1. Amplification is NOT the/your problem. The typical smartphone has around 5mW at 0.1% THD, maybe up to 15mW for some tablets, while the DX50 probably has well over 200mW at possibly even 0.01% THD,* which is not only 40x the power output but also at likely a lower distortion rating. The DX50 also has a dedicated amplifier section with bigger power capacitors (still tiny, but bigger than what phones have), so current performance is a lot better as well. The DX50 also has a lot more power than the E6. Given these figures and you think the G2 sounds much better, amplification specifically output power cannot possibly be the problem here.

*A guesstimate based on the Fiio X1 having around half  the power of the X3, which in turn is comparable to the DX50

2. Frequency response. What makes the G2 sound better for you is very likely a matter of frequency response, and given your initial assumption is that the DX50 needs more power, it is very likely that the  Ibasso DX50 has a more neutral response and the G2's software tunes the EQ to sound/seem like it has a very dynamic output (I am assuming you did not enable any EQ's on PowerAmp), usually done by boosting midrange frequencies down to the upper bass. This brings out the main range of music out a lot more, and particularly with the drums, they have a stronger "punch" or "kick" to them. If overdone however this can make it harder for the 5mW integrated chip on the smartphone to drive headphones/IEMs, as on dynamic drivers for example boosting lower frequencies (even the upper bass) tends to require more excursion from the drivers, which in turn requires more power and current. Since that does not happen, it's likely that along with an easy enough to drive headphone that you're using, and as with a factory setting, likely not overdone. AFAIK, a lot of software or other "collaboration" products tend to use such a trick, except for Beats Audio's negative application of similar principles, which AFAIK (as mentioned before in some threads here, not sure how accurate) when installed and enabled, does nothing; then if disabled but is left installed, applies EQ to make the disabled sound (and by inference, the smartphone or laptop without it) sound lame.

3. Headphone or IEM. What were you using with all of those? Sometimes it's harder to appreciate the benefits to better amplification unless you use a better headphone/IEM (or even speaker), which in some cases, their design might have resulted in other compromises with regard to how easily they can be driven (higher impedance, lower efficiency, wider impedance swings from nominal, etc).

4. Gain. Check the DX50's gain - if it is on low and for example you tried an E6 at high gain, you will mistake the latter for sounding "better," as long as THD doesn't really kick in.

5. EQ Settings. Also, you can use the DX50's EQ to mimic the same "dynamic" sound. Play around boosting frequencies from 70hz to 500khz primarily, then a bit less for above 500hz to around 8khz. Not sure what specific frequencies can be tuned but tweak within that range.

I'm suing Grado sr 80e for headphones and Vsonic gr07 base edition for IEMs.
Thanks for your detailed analysis, I downloaded sound explosion and I think that it is somehow improved the sound a bit..I have been using the EQ with the Poweamp app and that boosted the overall sound level and gave me more control over my listening material (with so many ways to adjust the sound),

I understand that it's not natural sound but it is satisfying for some reason!  

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #14,526 of 18,652
I'm suing Grado sr 80e for headphones and Vsonic gr07 base edition for IEMs.

I have been using the EQ with the Poweamp app and that boosted the overall sound level and gave me more control over my listening material (with so many ways to adjust the sound),
I understand that it's not natural sound but it is satisfying for some reason!

LOL ...we understand ...or not, for some reason :D

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #14,528 of 18,652
Google? »»» http://www.ngohq.com/?page=dseo

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #14,529 of 18,652
Hi, anyone know any custom FWs improve the bass quantity and give dark tonality to DX50? Currently I'm using Sound Explosion Dark Bass Edition v2 and tried the SU 1.3.3. I think SU 1.3.3 don't have more bass in low end frequency than SE Dark Bass v2. Thanks!

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #14,530 of 18,652
Hi Dimity,

Really looking forward to trying your SoundUnlocked 1.3.3 and thank you so much for spending your time doing this. The sound is very good with stock firmware, but needs these tweeks I think.

Does anyone have problems with the DX50 recognising the update.img file. Mine doesn't see it as a valid file  (date of file 29/7 size 177,068)?

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #14,531 of 18,652
  Hi Dimity,

Really looking forward to trying your SoundUnlocked 1.3.3 and thank you so much for spending your time doing this. The sound is very good with stock firmware, but needs these tweeks I think.

Does anyone have problems with the DX50 recognising the update.img file. Mine doesn't see it as a valid file  (date of file 29/7 size 177,068)?

Hi,

Could you check md5 for the file? (for 1.3.3 it should be 6a90ab2e39a6db05381712ad281e1e4e)
Anyway, what does that mean "doesn't see it as a valid file"?(you can't run "system update" or you have some errors while updating system)

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #14,532 of 18,652
Hi, anyone know any custom FWs improve the bass quantity and give dark tonality to DX50? Currently I'm using Sound Explosion Dark Bass Edition v2 and tried the SU 1.3.3. I think SU 1.3.3 don't have more bass in low end frequency than SE Dark Bass v2. Thanks!

At 1st i was amazed by explosion v2. But i agree with some it is artificial. Sound unlocked is best for me which again i agree with so many!

Aug 5, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #14,533 of 18,652
yeah I prefer SU as well, especially as a line-out

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #14,534 of 18,652
And one again I recommend every SU user to try 2 different settings:

1) FLAC-only + irr OFF + CPU performance default --- more depth towards front/middle and vocals for example more out of headstage.
    More airy soundstage/imaging and more dynamics.

2) FLAC-only + irr ON + CPU 312kHz --- closer, more intimate and clearer imaging with little more separation in width.

For me those setting are actually on par because with some music and depending on speakers/headphones, one is little better fit than other.
With my Fidelio X1, I use 1st setting. With my external speakers I use 2nd setting.

Anyway, try those settings and share Your thoughts :wink:

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #14,535 of 18,652
Had my DX50 for a few days and very impressed with it, I used a 16gb sd card from a Cowon D3 until a 64gb card arrives in the post the card already had a good selection of music on it and plays perfectly through the directory folder system.

It was only when I went to change some of the files with my card reader that I noticed the card was formatted in NTFS, I have seen suggestions that cards should be formatted in FAT32 or ex-FAT but never in NTFS. Is there any reason that NTFS should not be used, I guess it was formatted in NTFS for the D3 for the playback of video files.

Just a thought as sometimes there seems to be card issues with the DX50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back