The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jan 25, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #10,501 of 18,652

I don't know if you or anyone remembers, 1.2.5 had a beta version other than official FW which is now posted in Ibasso's download page. It was temporarily uploaded in Ibasso's download folder with the file name DX50Firmware_V1.2.5.zip back then (The official 1.2.5 has the filename DX50FW_V1.2.5.zip).

I just popped this beta in my DX50 and it sounded just like what 1.2.5 has. I have been using this FW for the past 2 days still browsing by database and I have not encountered the annoying bug yet. I been running it for quite some time today non-stop because I'm burning in my new Leckerton UHA-6SMKII.

Everything is stable so far.

Yes, I have that and I may give it a try. But again, I browse by file and use the DX50 as a source only - no volume control. I am not actually finding 1.2.5 (final) to have any fatal bugs.

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #10,502 of 18,652
At least I don't have to change the way I browse files if the beta don't have any bug for me.
L3000.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #10,503 of 18,652
Well I've just purchased a 2nd hand Ibasso DX50 and I have to say, it's simply a stunning player. 

The audio quality is 2nd to no player I have ever owned to date (I'll confess that goes back to the Sony Walkman days too fellow audio fans).

Stunning sound reproduction and the equaliser is terrific to boot.  There's really no complaints with the playback on this player at all.

When I first received the unit I performed a firmware upgrade and havn't experienced any major issues.

One however was that while out jogging, the player seemed to switch itself off, then upon switching it on again, it performed a system repair and then all was good.  I also noticed a tendancy to jump tracks randomly, however the lock switch fixed all these issues for me.

I'm trying out different headphones and I notice that my Sennheiser PMX80's required a lot less volume output than say my Superlux HD681's(higher impedance no doubt).  I'm looking forward to trying this player out on several other models of headphones on there way to my doorstep later on.

So far my only gripe would be that with all the firmware revisions it still looks to have glitches and I do wish the screen could be set to always on for when your at home listening instead of winking out and having to press the power button once when you want to view it.  Other than this, it truly is a top of the line player.

I notice some people declaring it ugly?  Can't understand that, it's got a nice metal case finish, it's easy to navigate(oh on that, the scrolling system requires one side to have more space to actually scroll as it's too easy to bump a track when your in the middle of listening to something), it's sleek and stylish in my view.

My only case issue would be that I wish all 3 jacks were located at the top of the unit with the SD card slot at the bottom or in the side of the unit.  Other than that, I can't fault it.

Amazing player.   8/10

One last thing, does anyone know a good site for downloading high definition audio albums?  Performing a search for 192KHz on HDTracks for example yields just 4 tracks.  Where are 192KHz high definition files to be found?  Most HD Tracks seem to be stuck at 24bit 48KHz, which is a real shame when you have the capability of playing uncompressed audio up to full 192KHz capability. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #10,505 of 18,652
  One however was that while out jogging, the player seemed to switch itself off, then upon switching it on again, it performed a system repair and then all was good.  I also noticed a tendancy to jump tracks randomly, however the lock switch fixed all these issues for me.

It must be the capacitive touch screen reacting while inside you pocket. Especially when it's tight. I also encountered this randomly regardless of the FW version used. But yeah, this is what the lock switch is for.

Jan 25, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #10,506 of 18,652

One last thing, does anyone know a good site for downloading high definition audio albums?  Performing a search for 192KHz on HDTracks for example yields just 4 tracks.  Where are 192KHz high definition files to be found?  Most HD Tracks seem to be stuck at 24bit 48KHz, which is a real shame when you have the capability of playing uncompressed audio up to full 192KHz capability. 

I'm not sure how you're searching, but there's a ton of 24/192 albums on HDTracks.  From the home page, under "Browse Music" select "Hi-Res Store", click "View More" underneath, then select "192/24".  You'll get pages of results.

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #10,509 of 18,652
I didn't want to say anything. Didn't want to wake you. :^)

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #10,511 of 18,652
I'm not sure how you're searching, but there's a ton of 24/192 albums on HDTracks.  From the home page, under "Browse Music" select "Hi-Res Store", click "View More" underneath, then select "192/24".  You'll get pages of results.

+2 it also depends on what format you wish to purchase, Flac and wav will have more 192/24 files available. Hopefully I don't start an argument, but I personally tend to go with 96/24 as I feel any sq difference does not justify the file size and cost difference. I own a number of high quality recordings in both and just don't hear enough difference. 'Course it could be due to these ears getting a little old.

Cheers,
Shawn

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #10,512 of 18,652
Hopefully I don't start an argument, but I personally tend to go with 96/24 as I feel any sq difference does not justify the file size and cost difference. I own a number of high quality recordings in both and just don't hear enough difference. 'Course it could be due to these ears getting a little old.

Cheers,
Shawn

+1 
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:06 AM Post #10,513 of 18,652
+2 it also depends on what format you wish to purchase, Flac and wav will have more 192/24 files available. Hopefully I don't start an argument, but I personally tend to go with 96/24 as I feel any sq difference does not justify the file size and cost difference. I own a number of high quality recordings in both and just don't hear enough difference. 'Course it could be due to these ears getting a little old.

Cheers,
Shawn

+3

I share the same feelings about your 96/24 choice, I tried the highest and in a blind test I couldn't tell one from the other, I needed to read the dap rating to see which one was playing. I have enough to remember what songs are on the player, the sample and bit rates are the least info I pay attention to but my ears do find differences in the different rates to a certain point. The recording quality is a big factor though, the better the best even at lower res. Not that many people consider one importance device in listening tests, our ears. They have limited ability that any technology is not going to improve unless they replace them. :wink:

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #10,514 of 18,652
+3

I share the same feelings about your 96/24 choice, I tried the highest and in a blind test I couldn't tell one from the other, I needed to read the dap rating to see which one was playing. I have enough to remember what songs are on the player, the sample and bit rates are the least info I pay attention to but my ears do find differences in the different rates to a certain point. The recording quality is a big factor though, the better the best even at lower res. Not that many people consider one importance device in listening tests, our ears. They have limited ability that any technology is not going to improve unless they replace them. :wink:

A wise gentleman I met, an engineer for Linn in the UK, told me something I've always remembered. "The most highly developed and discerning devices we have for the evaluation of sound quality are the human ears, unfortunately, nobody's are calibrated the same!"

Cheers,
Shawn

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #10,515 of 18,652
A wise gentleman I met, an engineer for Linn in the UK, told me something I've always remembered. "The most highly developed and discerning devices we have for the evaluation of sound quality are the human ears, unfortunately, nobody's are calibrated the same!"

Cheers,
Shawn

Thanks that really brought me a smile, that's so true.
The amazing part of the human experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back