The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 30, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #9,586 of 18,652
Hi guys! I don't know if this is a good thread, but who can help me better than you choosing headphones for my dx50.
Currently I own m50, they sound pretty good, but I'm thinking about upgrade. And I'm also looking for a small on ear headphones for portablem use. My budget is around $250 for upgrading, and $100 for portable. I need both headphones to be universal, when it comes to music genders. I prefer detailed, relaxing sound with not overpowering bass, not recessed mids and nice but not fatiguing highs. I listen to female and male vocals, some rock and electroronic. What do you recommend? Maybe it's better to buy one pair that can be used as portable as well?

wyśrupane na kamieniu

At that price point, it will be hard to get something appreciable, I am eying a pair of Westone iems (look for sub 250$ earphones), they seem to have the sound characteristics you are after. I currently have the Shure SE215 (~100) and they work pretty good for commute. I heard that the SE315 is a step up, so you may want to go that road. I would suggest you buy iems for around 250$ and use them both home and commute.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #9,587 of 18,652
A couple of comments...
Full-screen album art would, in many cases, render the menu printing invisible. As album art changes with each album, resizing would seem to require constant fiddling.

Thought I would comment as I too have a Squeezebox, in my case a Duet played through an iPeng app on my iPad. iPeng utilizes the folder.jpg full screen, if desired, with an arrow button to return to the main menu. iPeng offers a much better player adaptation than Logitech's player in that the iPeng interface, in black or white, easily connects to my NAS, or can, if desired, play back directly through my iPad speaker.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #9,588 of 18,652
At that price point, it will be hard to get something appreciable, I am eying a pair of Westone iems (look for sub 250$ earphones), they seem to have the sound characteristics you are after. I currently have the Shure SE215 (~100) and they work pretty good for commute. I heard that the SE315 is a step up, so you may want to go that road. I would suggest you buy iems for around 250$ and use them both home and commute.

Problem is that I don't like iems, I prefer onear headphones.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #9,589 of 18,652

KEF M500, maybe? they're not so far from your price point, and are good for both portable use and home use. Macedonian Hero has a thread comparing many closed portable cans (he doesn't like IEMs either), you may find some impressions and comparisons there.

I have them, and I personally like them better than PSB M4U1 and DT 1350, but I haven't heard many of the others that MH quotes in his comparisons. And I like IEMs better, anyway 
wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #9,590 of 18,652

Then I will leave it to others to comment, they only pair I have is the HD600 and they are above your price point, I would suggest the over the ears Sennheiser Momentums but again it will be over the amount of money you want to spend, unless you don't mind the on ears model. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #9,591 of 18,652

German Maestro GMP 8.35D Studio Monitors. There is a thread created by Acix and German Maestro Appreciation thread created by me, you won't regret them. They are very neutral, balanced all across the spectrum, detail monster, very precise and accurate. Perfect all rounder and great tool for monitoring if you ask me. I have SE5way ciems but I still keep my GMP 8.35 with me, they are special to me.

Also, it is like old Nokia phones, unbreakable (literally).

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #9,592 of 18,652
Dear Folks,

i need help, i recently bought a Xduoo SD-01 USD DAC and Headphone Amp, it comes has a Coaxial in which is perfect for DX-50 3.5mm Coaxial out. However the stock cable from DX 50 is way too huge!

Does anyone know where i can get aftermarket cable, or DIY.

Of course i can use the regular 3.5mm line in line out, but i will be double amping?

regards

Gwee

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #9,593 of 18,652

KEF M500, maybe? they're not so far from your price point, and are good for both portable use and home use. Macedonian Hero has a thread comparing many closed portable cans (he doesn't like IEMs either), you may find some impressions and comparisons there.

I have them, and I personally like them better than PSB M4U1 and DT 1350, but I haven't heard many of the others that MH quotes in his comparisons. And I like IEMs better, anyway 
wink_face.gif

Thanks for your propositions. I also thought about momentum or phiaton ms500. If they are really much better then m50 i could stretch my budget what about d600 with dx?

German Maestro GMP 8.35D Studio Monitors. There is a thread created by Acix and German Maestro Appreciation thread created by me, you won't regret them. They are very neutral, balanced all across the spectrum, detail monster, very precise and accurate. Perfect all rounder and great tool for monitoring if you ask me. I have SE5way ciems but I still keep my GMP 8.35 with me, they are special to me.

Also, it is like old Nokia phones, unbreakable (literally).

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #9,595 of 18,652
  There's actually something you could try that may help. Change one of your FLAC files to level '0'. It will increase in size by about 10% but will use fewer resources on playback. 

Ok that nearly worked 
wink_face.gif
, but still got some clicks, less than before.

I will keep using down-sampled FLAC (96khz) for the DX50. Its not a big deal in the end, I don't think it will make a difference on a 239$ DAP if its 96khz or 192khz but would have been nice if it would work without any hassle. The DX50 seems a bit short on processing power which is a pity because its otherwise a strong contender in the price range.  

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #9,597 of 18,652
Discovered a problem. I have a dongle microSD card reader thingy that I plug into the micro usb port. With this plugged in that DX50 constantly refuses to start up. The backlight tuns on in the screen but it then hangs. If I wait and plug it in after the DX50 has started all works fine

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #9,598 of 18,652
Everyone was correct in saying that adding an amp to the stack with the DX50 makes a world of difference.  I've finally got around to listening to the rig with my C5 added.  All I can say is absolutely amazing! I couldn't be happier with the set up!

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #9,599 of 18,652
So I have a question: What is the difference between EQ Off and EQ on in Custom and all bands at 0.

There is a large sound difference. I far prefer the sound of EQ on with everything flat at 0. 'it sounds like music should'. With it Off, it sounds far away, dark, muddy, lacking highs and mids, other adjectives like that

To my un-hifi-schooled self, EQ Off and EQ on/Flat seem the same to me, but obviously this is not how it is integrated.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #9,600 of 18,652
  Discovered a problem. I have a dongle microSD card reader thingy that I plug into the micro usb port. With this plugged in that DX50 constantly refuses to start up. The backlight tuns on in the screen but it then hangs. If I wait and plug it in after the DX50 has started all works fine

Odd. Mine is plugged in 24/7 and no problems.

Default advice:  Do a factory reset. You can leave the card installed during that ( I always do). 

Edit: Before the factory reset, delete the folders that the DX50 adds to each of the root folder and the SD card. That gives you a clean start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back