The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #9,601 of 18,652

WOW. just listening 1.2.2 for the first time..

and i am sure again why i bought this, and why i am reading and sharing with people who care about sound..
detail, soundstage and with gapless on 5 sec even proper gapless playback.

1.2.7 is - apart from the finally stable UI - a step in the wrong direction ibasso!

if i want a laid back "allrounder" sound why wouldnt i go to buy a sansa clip for 40 bucks??

I'm pretty sure some people have different impression than you do in between firmware versions. I don't think iBasso has taken any step to any direction when it comes to SQ. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #9,602 of 18,652
  Discovered a problem. I have a dongle microSD card reader thingy that I plug into the micro usb port. With this plugged in that DX50 constantly refuses to start up. The backlight tuns on in the screen but it then hangs. If I wait and plug it in after the DX50 has started all works fine

I think this is only with your thingy card reader, I have the Meenova card reader with a 64gb Sandisk card in it and it works flawlessly either connected while on or when it starts.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #9,603 of 18,652
I think this is only with your thingy card reader, I have the Meenova card reader with a 64gb Sandisk card in it and it works flawlessly either connected while on or when it starts.

That's exactly what I've got as well

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #9,604 of 18,652
That's exactly what I've got as well

Does it look like that?
beerchug.gif

I strongly suggest you get one, it has the ability to connect directly to your DX50 and it comes with a USB 2.0 connector which makes it quick and easy to update songs on the card.
L3000.gif
 And because it does not require a tag database scan, this works flawlessly through the OTG browse menu.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #9,605 of 18,652
Does it look like that? :beerchug:  

I strongly suggest you get one, it has the ability to connect directly to your DX50 and it comes with a USB 2.0 connector which makes it quick and easy to update songs on the card. :L3000:  And because it does not require a tag database scan, this works flawlessly through the OTG browse menu.

Yes that is the one I,ve got. I was one of the original crowdsourcers for the project, but for me the DX50 will not boot with it plugged in with a 64GB SanDisk black Ultra card in. Plugged in after the DX50 has started all is fine.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #9,607 of 18,652
http://www.head-fi.org/t/679473/the-ibasso-dx50-thread-latest-firmware-1-2-7

first page for firmware versions

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #9,608 of 18,652
Yes that is the one I,ve got. I was one of the original crowdsourcers for the project, but for me the DX50 will not boot with it plugged in with a 64GB SanDisk black Ultra card in. Plugged in after the DX50 has started all is fine.

I just tried it by shutting it down and booting back the player with the micro card reader and works no problem. Maybe the card you used has issues with the reader. I use the Ultra card too and works like a charm.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #9,609 of 18,652
So 1.2.7 is no go in in terms of audio quality? BTW Where can I get the 1.2.7 FW? Not that I use this DAP but I might just update and see if my wife can tell the diff.. I know its somewhere in this thread but seriously pages update too fast.. Why can't iBasso upload on their webby? They must be 1 or few versions behind for some reason.

Don't think there is any concensus to that effect. In fact there seems to be opinios going in all directions on all the differet firmware versions

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #9,611 of 18,652
Dec 30, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #9,612 of 18,652
actually i find the discussion about the changes in sound quite interesting.

but... is this the "emepror's new clothes" 2013?

in a forum dedicated to audiophile listening pleasure the ultima ratio should really be a statement like
"everyone hears differently"
"sq is totally subjective"
"opinions about sq are going in any direction"
is this it? isnt listening and high fidelity also a field of exchanging and learning how to describe subtle changes?

if this was a forum for wine nobody would agree on statements like
"main thing is that you enjoy it" and "everyone has different taste" etc.. 
just thinking aloud..

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #9,613 of 18,652
A couple of comments...
Full-screen album art would, in many cases, render the menu printing invisible. As album art changes with each album, resizing would seem to require constant fiddling.
It would be impossible for iBasso to subjective describe the sound of each firmware. As you can easily see from comments made following each firmware update, some folks think the changes are drastic, other hear no changes, some think the detail has improved, others feel it is less...and on and on. As each set of ears hears differently, attempting to definitively state the characteristics of a particular firmware SQ would be an exercise in futility.

A description of a single sound signature may have limited use but a description of all signatures with definitions of the terminology used to describe the sound would be more useful as this would be a comparative sample.  Ibasso would be able to describe the sound relative to the last or original sound signature e.g. more bass, less bass, rolled off highs etc. I believe any info would be helpful as the dx50 users could just adjust to what they hear, for example, I realize that Joker puts a lot of weight on details in his grading of sound quality and tends to prefer the sound of balanced armatures, I prefer a more musical sound and lean towards dynamic drivers thus I read his descriptions of sound and adjust accordingly.  The same goes for all descriptions of sound on Headfi, it also helps if you can listen to the same setups (daps, cans, dac etc). 

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #9,614 of 18,652
I always get the "everyone has different tastes...it's what you like" speech when I am shopping for gear and I have to tell the guy I'm not impressed with something. It's cliche and annoying. I always prefer when people are upfront about their experiences with various gear. I think some more discussion about the various firmwares would be very welcome here. The differences are NOT subtle, however everyone has different rigs and set-ups.

Is anyone else using the DX50 as a transport to their home rig via the coax? That seems to work exceptionally well. Sounds much better than various USB Dacs and my computer and it responds very well to EQ. I do notice the differences don't bother me as much when I am using the lineout to my car's aux jack.

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #9,615 of 18,652
Interesting comment but if I may find a wine fruity flavored while my neighbor finds it cherry like, who's right or wrong?

Audio impression, is just that impression which for one might emphasize on certain frequency range and how their audition can capture subtle sounds, like wine tasting it is practice that makes perfect and it may well be personal while another auditor won't sense the same audio inflexions. There are good references of sound description on this site and everyone is well advised to consult them however, you'll find that you will have to classify what you hear according to your personal preferences and how you capture the audio signal in your ears and how your brain interprets it, truly unique experience in each of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back