The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 30, 2013 at 8:46 AM Post #9,571 of 18,652

When I strapped an amp to the DX50, I put my DX100 up for sale... Yes it gets bulky, but sounds amazing, has physical buttons and I can just unplug the amp when using it on the go 
wink.gif

Hey, I strapped an amp on mine and don't want sell mine
beyersmile.png
It slightly bulky for me because I am using the "Pyramid" shape Pico slim. I thought I would tease you a little.
wink.gif

By the way I have been using the HD600 as my main home headphones and even single-ended is purely amazing so I can only imagine how it'd be with balanced. I might change my SE535 connectors for the Sennheiser ones and have it balance wired for the RSA intruder. What do you think?

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #9,572 of 18,652
  I can confirm that 24bit/192khz wav is working for me. So that flac issue is a general bug? So far I got the impression from the communication with iBasso that this is an issue with my files or whatever. In case i am not the only one that would call for a fix.

Perhaps it should get sorted but to be honest, I'd never listen to 192 flac. I do prefer 192wav but would just as soon listen to 96 wav as 192 flac and it takes less space. Much bit perfect debate there that I'm not going to do here but my personal opinion from listening on top kit. The click issue will likely be processor/buffer load. It's likely something that can be sorted depending on resources used by the Android based OS.

iBasso also doesn't claim 192 FLAC support, only 'Bit Perfect, Support, up to 24bit/192khz.' which it has so if they say nothing's wrong, they probably feel that way. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #9,573 of 18,652

When I strapped an amp to the DX50, I put my DX100 up for sale... Yes it gets bulky, but sounds amazing, has physical buttons and I can just unplug the amp when using it on the go 
wink.gif

I get that a DAP can't have true separate amp quality but I'm a bit disappointing when the amp isn't a strong point in a DAP from what is primarily an amp company. It's cheap and there's always the DX90.
wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #9,574 of 18,652
  Perhaps it should get sorted but to be honest, I'd never listen to 192 flac. I do prefer 192wav but would just as soon listen to 96 wav as 192 flac and it takes less space. Much bit perfect debate there that I'm not going to do here but my personal opinion from listening on top kit. The click issue will likely be processor/buffer load. It's likely something that can be sorted depending on resources used by the Android based OS.

iBasso also doesn't claim 192 FLAC support, only 'Bit Perfect, Support, up to 24bit/192khz.' which it has so if they say nothing's wrong, they probably feel that way. 

The issue with WAV is that the artwork and tags don't work very well. I never had any issues with FLAC in that regard. File size is definitely an issue, especially when there is "limited" space, in case of the DX50 8GB+64GB (without OTG)

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #9,575 of 18,652
  I get that a DAP can't have true separate amp quality but I'm a bit disappointing when the amp isn't a strong point in a DAP from what is primarily an amp company. It's cheap and there's always the DX90.
wink_face.gif

The DX50 amp section is not that bad, it is slightly more tilted towards the highs, I find the LO to be easier to mold.

I am hoping the DX90 will make us think twice using an amp but again, only time will tell.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #9,576 of 18,652
Happy owner of 9th batch DX50
I have it for about a month now and have no complaints.
It sounds good, it works good, it looks good.
At 239 dollar, I consider it to be a true bargain.

I really like this DAP, and I also like to read about it on this forum. I have to thank the early adopters for their input on this forum, because they also helped me to decide to by the unit

This morning I compared the sound of firmware 1.2.7 to 1.2.6

No headphone amp. Just the HP out of the player. Low gain.
I only use Flac files. Using Sennheiser IE8 phones.
All EQ settings off.

To MHO the sound has changed with the new firmware. The midrange sounds louder to me in 1.2.7.
This more forward midrange sounds more screamy and leads me to want to lower the volume.
It also affects the spaciousness. In 1.2.6 I could more listen into the recording, while 1.2.7. seems to come at me.

I switched back to 1.2.6. I haven't made my own wallpaper anyway :wink_face:

My wishlist for Ibasso
  • Gapless function combined with sq of 1.2.6
  • Switching songs leads to a audible (memory?)dump. The last bit of the previous track gets dumped at the beginning of the new track. I would't mind if that can be made to dissapear.
  • Resizable album art would be nice. I would like albumart to fill the whole screen.
  • Maybe Ibasso could mention changes made in sound settings in their releasenotes supplied with new firmware?

A couple of comments...
Full-screen album art would, in many cases, render the menu printing invisible. As album art changes with each album, resizing would seem to require constant fiddling.
It would be impossible for iBasso to subjective describe the sound of each firmware. As you can easily see from comments made following each firmware update, some folks think the changes are drastic, other hear no changes, some think the detail has improved, others feel it is less...and on and on. As each set of ears hears differently, attempting to definitively state the characteristics of a particular firmware SQ would be an exercise in futility.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #9,577 of 18,652
A couple of comments...
Full-screen album art would, in many cases, render the menu printing invisible. As album art changes with each album, resizing would seem to require constant fiddling.
It would be impossible for iBasso to subjective describe the sound of each firmware. As you can easily see from comments made following each firmware update, some folks think the changes are drastic, other hear no changes, some think the detail has improved, others feel it is less...and on and on. As each set of ears hears differently, attempting to definitively state the characteristics of a particular firmware SQ would be an exercise in futility.

Agree on all points, the sound quality is really subjective, it is based on perception and the assumption that we all have the same acoustic response which we well know is not the case and is constantly changing with age. Most of us don't base our listening experience on some engineering sound frequency response curves to gage the SQ, besides what would the criteria be?

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #9,578 of 18,652
  I tried FLAC again, just to check if the clicks are random or always at the same time > it's completely random and I can hear clicks at every play-through of the file
Same file converted to 24bit/192khz AIFF > I hear no clicks 
Same file converted to 24bit/192khz ALAC > again random clicks like in FLAC
WAV file > no clicks 

This is really annoying, the player should work with all formats up to 192khz, not just some or random. 

That is strange, I just played a couple of 192 ALAC files and don't hear any clicks at all. Have you tried a recovery reset?

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #9,579 of 18,652

The DX50 amp section is not that bad, it is slightly more tilted towards the highs, I find the LO to be easier to mold.

I am hoping the DX90 will make us think twice using an amp but again, only time will tell.

I haven't heard one and never thought it would be bad. I would have thought it a strong point from iBasso. Wasn't meant as dig at all.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #9,581 of 18,652

The issue with WAV is that the artwork and tags don't work very well. I never had any issues with FLAC in that regard. File size is definitely an issue, especially when there is "limited" space, in case of the DX50 8GB+64GB (without OTG)

Space is always and issue on DAPs. I do understand the tag thing with WAV but my point was 96 wav is smaller than 192 FLAC. I don't expect you to like things the way I do. Strictly personal opinion.
smile.gif

There's actually something you could try that may help. Change one of your FLAC files to level '0'. It will increase in size by about 10% but will use fewer resources on playback. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #9,582 of 18,652
Hi guys! I don't know if this is a good thread, but who can help me better than you choosing headphones for my dx50.
Currently I own m50, they sound pretty good, but I'm thinking about upgrade. And I'm also looking for a small on ear headphones for portablem use. My budget is around $250 for upgrading, and $100 for portable. I need both headphones to be universal, when it comes to music genders. I prefer detailed, relaxing sound with not overpowering bass, not recessed mids and nice but not fatiguing highs. I listen to female and male vocals, some rock and electroronic. What do you recommend? Maybe it's better to buy one pair that can be used as portable as well?

wyśrupane na kamieniu

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #9,583 of 18,652
1.27 for a day.
Will change back to 1.22 for the crystal clear highs and details.

WOW. just listening 1.2.2 for the first time..

and i am sure again why i bought this, and why i am reading and sharing with people who care about sound..
detail, soundstage and with gapless on 5 sec even proper gapless playback.

1.2.7 is - apart from the finally stable UI - a step in the wrong direction ibasso!

if i want a laid back "allrounder" sound why wouldnt i go to buy a sansa clip for 40 bucks??

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #9,585 of 18,652

WOW. just listening 1.2.2 for the first time..

and i am sure again why i bought this, and why i am reading and sharing with people who care about sound..
detail, soundstage and with gapless on 5 sec even proper gapless playback.

1.2.7 is - apart from the finally stable UI - a step in the wrong direction ibasso!

if i want a laid back "allrounder" sound why wouldnt i go to buy a sansa clip for 40 bucks??

All i want is just the 1.2.7 UI, with 1.2.2 sound.
Then the dx50 will be the best dap for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back