The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 29, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #9,481 of 18,652
One thing for sure is the screen sensitivity has been increased. It's a bit too sensitive now for me.

+2 I keep opening the wrong folders and functions, 'course that could be due to my lack of opposable thumbs.:p Gapless works, thank you, thank you, thank you!

Cheers,
Shawn

Dec 29, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #9,482 of 18,652
I'm liking the SQ of this firmware, smoother and less harsh, slightly warmer. I also like that when you turn the unit on, it starts off where you left it. Great update!

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #9,483 of 18,652
EQ updates anyone?

While the EQ is still subtractive in order to reduce the likelihood of clipping and/or distortion, one can easily detect more change with slider movement than the previous firmwares. I don't often use EQ, but when I do, I am happy with the enhancement provided by the new firmware.

Yep, and EQ has a larger range now: -/+ 12 db, while before it was -/+ 6 …. and I can much more easily hear some differences now between using/not using it, so I might even find myself actually using it :)

On the other hand, scanning seems to me to be a little slower than 1.2.6, but still a lot better than 1.2.5 and previous :)...

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #9,484 of 18,652
Thanks, I moved the music that was on the internal memory to the card. the only way I can get it to scan anything is to select a track in folder view, then it will scan just that one album only. i would have to play one track from each album to do a scan.

The .album_image folder does appear on the internal memory, but it's empty.

strange how the internal memory is formatted FAT32 at 6gb? I know doing a reset doesn't really format the internal memory because any music that was on there would stay. now it appears blank but has not been formatted.

email sent to ibasso at this point. not sure i want to format the internal memory without checking first.

I'll do some more tests today and report to you my findings about the tag database and the related .album_image folder on the internal memory. I played with it yesterday when testing the tags and switching cards. There are specific actions you need to undertake in order to have a clean tag database the DX50 can use.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #9,485 of 18,652
Thanks to @SkyBlue for starting a DX50 wallpaper thread, here is the link if anyone wonders:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697316/ibasso-dx50-wallpaper-thread

@sorensiim would you mind adding the link on the first page, I think this would be useful for anyone who wants to contribute or need a ready made wallpaper?

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #9,486 of 18,652
Hi everyone. @Mingus and others still experiencing problems with scanning: I did too, under 1.2.6 and 1.2.7 until yesterday night I finally did the change that settled it: Read on.

I first though the tags-cleaning would help, as so many others suggested. But it was obviously not enough. 2 of my 4 cards were not scanned at all under 1.2.6/.7 (and only halfway so under 1.2.2/5), and the 2 others were only badly scanned with albums and pictures missing...
(My cards are one 64GB from Sandisk one 32 GB from the same, one 32GB from Transcend and one 32GB from Samsung. all are from 2013 and very fast cards.)

Here's the list of what I did which was not enough: 
I tried the instructions by Musicheaven perfectly exactly (cf. post #8600), I also tried re-installing the FW 1.2.6 again as simonsullivan1 did (post #8594), all to no avail. I also had cleaned up (already weeks ago), with MP3Tag, the tags as discussed in earlier posts, so I do have clean tags for all my FLAC files. I also had left no other files (apart from the folder.jpg files).

BUT what I had still overseen, and which finally made everything work once I changed it yesterday night:
- The length of folder names and filenames. I manually reduced it for folders (no specific number, just by feeling, sorry for the vagueness), and I reduced filenames drastically (using MP3TAG) to 25 characters (including spaces).
- I then erased all the databases and image folders created by the DX50, on cards and internal memory, did a factory-reset to make sure to wipe out any hidden files left anywhere, and then: It all worked fine! Except for some missing album art.
- What I did then way adding the Folder.jpg files in folders eveywhere. On my DX50, album art embedded in tags does NOT work. It HAS to be in the form of a "Folder.jpg" file in each single album folder.
- I then again had to erase all the databases and image folders created by the DX50, on cards and internal memory, did again a factory-reset to make sure to wipe out any hidden files left anywhere.

Now everything works. (And by the way: One interesting detail is that accents on words in filenames, e.g. French accents, did not cause problems, but some apostrophes sometimes did, so that I had to also manually tweak some filenames for the few albums that were still not scanned afterdoing the procedure described above).

Conclusion:Am finally happy with that DX50 (I was about to ditch it only some days ago under 1.2.6, also desperately reading for hours and hours this never-ending forum thread).

I did a search for "filenames" on this thread yesterday but it did not help. Luckily I did remember that some weeks ago some posters had insisted on shortening the filenames, and I tried it as a "last resort". Had I not remembered, I would be now writing a very different message...
My humble opinion / suggestion @ thread-owner Sorensim: The FAQ should mention very explicitly the maximum filename size requirement, and not only that tags should be cleaned up... I do not know what the max is, I just was probably very conservative with 25 characters.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #9,487 of 18,652

- What I did then way adding the Folder.jpg files in folders eveywhere. On my DX50, album art embedded in tags does NOT work. It HAS to be in the form of a "Folder.jpg" file in each single album folder.

In my personal experience that IS required, but ONLY for .mp3 or .ape files… for all my other files (essentially flac or ALAC .m4a), embedding the album art in the files with MP3Tag is enough to make them show on the DX50.

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #9,488 of 18,652
@geagle: I disagree. I do "ONLY" use FLAC files, and embedded art does not work, on my device.
I cannot say 100% that it does not work on any album, but it definitely was the reason why one fourth of my album art did not show up. Once converted back to Folder.jpg, it works like a charm. (Am just happy I did not earlier convert all my album art to embedded, as someone was recommending again and again on this thread a few weeks ago. I learned from it - not to naively trust what users say on this forum... Some of the advice one finds here is not so reliable... but of course some of it is very helpful.)

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #9,489 of 18,652
its funny sometimes when I read the "descriptions of differences of sound between FW" (without EQ).
More so because I work with ideas around the way the brain works :)

In most cases I bet a null test will be close to 0. (major changes of course can happen! don't get me wrong. but some ways of describing minor diffs are funny :p )

Dec 29, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #9,490 of 18,652
  @geagle: I disagree. I do "ONLY" use FLAC files, and embedded art does not work, on my device.
I cannot say 100% that it does not work on any album, but it definitely was the reason why one fourth of my album art did not show up. Once converted back to Folder.jpg, it works like a charm. (Am just happy I did not earlier convert all my album art to embedded, as someone was recommending again and again on this thread a few weeks ago. I learned from it - not to naively trust what users say on this forum... Some of the advice one finds here is not so reliable... but of course some of it is very helpful.)

I use only FLACs on a 64gb and all Art works great!!

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #9,491 of 18,652
  I use only FLACs on a 64gb and all Art works great!!

Are you using 100% embedded artwork on all your albums, or a mix of embedded and "Folder.jpg" files? In my case, as I already wrote in details, I used to have a mix, depending on the albums, but found out that only the "Folder.jpg" files do work flawlessly so I recommend rather that option.

If you use 100% embedded, then it might indicate that the DX50 does not like the mixed approach...

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #9,492 of 18,652

Glad you found a solution that works for you my friend… my point was just that, for MY DX50, embedded album art in flac works like a charm, while it definitely does NOT work with .ape and .mp3 files, for which I also use the same workaround as you. And while I do use the usual Artist==>Album folder architecture with the main microSD card that I use (so using a Folder.jpg in each album folder is not a problem), I also have others which I like to use with a Meenova adapter connected through the OTG, and in that case I tend to use only a few common folders (for ease of initial scanning - media connected through the OTG is NOT automatically scanned, and gets recognized ONLY if you initially navigate to the folder and select any song - then the whole folder gets recognized, and added to the Artist/Album/My Music collections on the DX50). In this second scenario using your workaround is a bit more problematic (and I am therefore quite thankful that I do not personally need to use it for flac files, as the majority of my music is in that format 
smile.gif
)

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #9,493 of 18,652
Hmm not working for me. Still goes to another random song.
What version are you running? I'm on 1.2.7, and it's definitely not happening.

I am running v1.2.7. The taps need to be very quick and closely spaced.

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #9,494 of 18,652

Are you using 100% embedded artwork on all your albums, or a mix of embedded and "Folder.jpg" files? In my case, as I already wrote in details, I used to have a mix, depending on the albums, but found out that only the "Folder.jpg" files do work flawlessly so I recommend rather that option.

If you use 100% embedded, then it might indicate that the DX50 does not like the mixed approach...

It works both ways. The rule is as follows: use the folder.jpg if you want a common cover art for the whole album and embed it in the audio file if you want a different one, more specific to the song you want the art to display on My Music. It is totally unnecessary to do both if it is the same artwork for all files and it does save you tremendous amount of time as the embedded artwork copy the file over.

Now if you want to dispute this, just remember there are two locations where the art work shows up; the menu selection and the My Music, so please be specific in the one you say does not work.

Dec 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #9,495 of 18,652

Probably mixed!
I use KID3 on mac to embed them but in many cases I don't delete the folder.jpg or anything else.
(I embed from digcogs only, not the folder.jpg)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back