The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 26, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #9,196 of 18,652
  Don't those cases allow for heat build up, ie you can't get air around the chassis of the DX50? When I had the DX100 (review unit) I slipped it into my camera bag's compartment as I went around trying other headphones, then when it was my turn on the T1, I reached for it and it was hot as a Class A amp.

DX50 doesn't really get hot much. I am not worry.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #9,197 of 18,652
The only time my DX50 got hot was when I was using digital out to Schiit Gungnir while the unit was charging from the USB slot. Even then, it didn't get hot when I did the same thing a few days later. When it's doing digital out to the DacIt, it's cool to the touch for the whole day.

That is one thing that scared me away from the DX100, the reports of heat.

Dec 26, 2013 at 4:12 AM Post #9,198 of 18,652
For me it is mostly playing around because I keep coming back to Low gain on the Pico Power with the DX50 line out at full volume. It is great though to have that volume flexibility.

Yes that's how I use it with my SR71-B which lets me get to around 12 on the volume control with JH13. Also I find the sound more dynamic that way than with the DX50 volume at 200 and the SR71-B on medium gain and 2 on the volume

Dec 26, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #9,199 of 18,652
Most people recommend setting the volume of the DAC at 75% and above.

But just to make it simple, I turn it all up and just fiddle with the volume on the external amp. That way the DAC volume is constant.

The only issue is with very sensitive phones. If I use O2 paired with DX50 and JH16. I can't turn the volume pot on the O2 past 10 o'clock or I'm going deaf.

I find myself turning the volume in DX50 at 235 - 245 so I can turn the pot on O2 past the 12 o'clock position. It's a bit of a pain coz you have to be mindful of 2 volume controls instead of just one.

^^^same here.  I have to lower the volume on the DX50 to get better travel on the external amp pot.  So far I do not hear any degradation of the SQ.

For me it is mostly playing around because I keep coming back to Low gain on the Pico Power with the DX50 line out at full volume. It is great though to have that volume flexibility.

Interesting! I keep mine at around 245 and let my amp at mid gain if it has gain control.

Dec 26, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #9,200 of 18,652
Most people recommend setting the volume of the DAC at 75% and above.

But just to make it simple, I turn it all up and just fiddle with the volume on the external amp. That way the DAC volume is constant.

The only issue is with very sensitive phones. If I use O2 paired with DX50 and JH16. I can't turn the volume pot on the O2 past 10 o'clock or I'm going deaf.

I find myself turning the volume in DX50 at 235 - 245 so I can turn the pot on O2 past the 12 o'clock position. It's a bit of a pain coz you have to be mindful of 2 volume controls instead of just one.

I stay at 246 on DX50 with the JDS C5

Dec 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #9,202 of 18,652

DX50 doesn't really get hot much. I am not worry.

My DX50 actually gets concernably hot when I have it in my leather case on my belt while it's playing music for an hour or so.  If left out it stays cool and doesn't never seem to get noticeably warm.  But in a case with no air flow, it is definitely capable of warming up very well.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #9,203 of 18,652
I'm currently doing some A/B listening with DX50, JH16 and few amps I have.

For quick comparison, my Ipod classic/M8 combo has obvious advantage in soundstage, bass impact/volume and treble extension compared to my DX50/C5D combo. The DX50/C5D has forward mids.

Then I switched to DX50/O2 and all of a sudden the advantages mentioned above quickly went away. They sounded on par of each other. Goes to show DX50 benefits from a very good and powerful external amp.

I wish there is a way I can hook up DX50 to my M8 and check if there will be sonic improvements.

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #9,204 of 18,652

My DX50 actually gets concernably hot when I have it in my leather case on my belt while it's playing music for an hour or so.  If left out it stays cool and doesn't never seem to get noticeably warm.  But in a case with no air flow, it is definitely capable of warming up very well.

Just curious.  Where did you get your leather case? Was it built for the dx50? Pics? Sorry for all of the nosy questions.  Is it the same one mentioned by ClieOS?

Dec 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #9,205 of 18,652
  Just curious.  Where did you get your leather case? Was it built for the dx50? Pics? Sorry for all of the nosy questions.

It is a case that was built for a phone.  This one in particular:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Luxmo-Black-Horizontal-Leather-Case-Pouch-Holster-Belt-Clip-for-Cell-Phones-/370906214841

It fits the DX50 perfectly, and it is a little longer in size to allow for different headphone plugs to be used.  Works very nice as a belt holster for the DX50.  As mentioned, it does get the DX50 to warm up, though it doesn't overheat.  It's been fine.  

Edit:  Rather, it is that case in the link fit for the EVO 4g LTE / 3D phone.  

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #9,206 of 18,652

The worst I get after almost an hour of use (inside pocket) is barely lukewarm, less than my smartphone after intense 3D game play. That's still very far away from any damaging temperature for chips.

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #9,207 of 18,652
That is one thing that scared me away from the DX100, the reports of heat.

I use the DX100 a lot as a player to feed amps LO or DAC's with digital out (I've used both coax and optical) and have never had it get more than barely warm, even when simultaneously charging it (using an Anker battery pack). Same thing with the DX50, although I mostly use it as a totally portable (eg walking around) rig with portable external amps. Never worry about charging it on the go as the battery life is so good (unlike the DX100).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back