The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #8,866 of 18,652
  Email them with something constructive. 

Sent them a new email in response to my ever-going freeze troubleshooting ticket I've had open with them for the past month.  

Also sent another email regarding a different issue I've been having with every firmware version but at least doesn't involve freezing.  I get this feeling that most people here seem to be using external amps, whereas the bug seems to be with the built in DX50 volume control.  When changing the volume it'll sometimes sorta freak out and do a quick reset, putting the OS how it was and on the song it was on when it was last successfully powered off.  Could be playing a song, adjust the volume, and boom, it'll stop playing the song and go back to whatever song it booted up at, and reset the volume to what it was also at on last boot.  This doesn't happen very frequently, but is still somewhat annoying and is definitely not by design.  But at least this has nothing to do with the freezing, as it doesn't freeze when it happens.  :)

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #8,867 of 18,652
With regards to the Lipo cell - not something I've ever done before - perhaps if the madness prevails you could form a detailed how to for those of us who have no idea - time permitting of course.

It's a simple wire splice (well, two, actually) to attach a 9V snap connector to a battery pack. You don't even need solder for this one although it wouldn't hurt to use it. Good enough if you don't mind using an external charger. Make two kits and swap as needed.

Incorporating a charging circuit is a little more complicated. I'd leave that to those with more practical experience than I.

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #8,868 of 18,652
That Vorz does look good, its about 3 Christmas' worth though - expensive. Your right though, for a portable rig the BH is Large SQ in (relatively) small form factor :)

FWIW, To my ears, I found the T1 to sound superior to the Vorzamp at about half the price.

Dec 18, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #8,869 of 18,652
I just received my DX50 as well and I am impressed thus far. It is definitely beautiful to look at.

I think you missed one thing - not only it is beautiful to look at but it sounds terrific :wink:

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #8,870 of 18,652
Sent them a new email in response to my ever-going freeze troubleshooting ticket I've had open with them for the past month.  

Also sent another email regarding a different issue I've been having with every firmware version but at least doesn't involve freezing.  I get this feeling that most people here seem to be using external amps, whereas the bug seems to be with the built in DX50 volume control.  When changing the volume it'll sometimes sorta freak out and do a quick reset, putting the OS how it was and on the song it was on when it was last successfully powered off.  Could be playing a song, adjust the volume, and boom, it'll stop playing the song and go back to whatever song it booted up at, and reset the volume to what it was also at on last boot.  This doesn't happen very frequently, but is still somewhat annoying and is definitely not by design.  But at least this has nothing to do with the freezing, as it doesn't freeze when it happens.  :)

It has happened to me infrequently and how you explained the behavior is spot on. As you mentionned I am one of those running the player with an amp. Even though the DX50 amp section is quite usable, I still prefer the LO. This most likely explains the lack of this behavior. What I can logically attribute the root cause is a lack of response by the player while playing music and operating the volume control at the same time, a timing/response issue. iBasso should be in measure to duplicate the bug however keep in mind that if it happens infrequently, it will be harder for them to locate the problem area and therefore fix it. My feeling is that because it does happen infrequently, they will keep an eye on it and eventually fix it. I would suggest to help them debug it, tell them as much as you are able the different scenarios and what you did to get it to display this behavior. iBasso is quite responsive in fixing issues.

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #8,871 of 18,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfurbal

Also sent another email regarding a different issue I've been having with every firmware version but at least doesn't involve freezing. I get this feeling that most people here seem to be using external amps, whereas the bug seems to be with the built in DX50 volume control. When changing the volume it'll sometimes sorta freak out and do a quick reset, putting the OS how it was and on the song it was on when it was last successfully powered off. Could be playing a song, adjust the volume, and boom, it'll stop playing the song and go back to whatever song it booted up at, and reset the volume to what it was also at on last boot. This doesn't happen very frequently, but is still somewhat annoying and is definitely not by design. But at least this has nothing to do with the freezing, as it doesn't freeze when it happens.

Edited by musicheaven - Yesterday at 11:08 pm

It has happened to me infrequently and how you explained the behavior is spot on. As you mentionned I am one of those running the player with an amp. Even though the DX50 amp section is quite usable, I still prefer the LO. This most likely explains the lack of this behavior. What I can logically attribute the root cause is a lack of response by the player while playing music and operating the volume control at the same time, a timing/response issue. iBasso should be in measure to duplicate the bug however keep in mind that if it happens infrequently, it will be harder for them to locate the problem area and therefore fix it. My feeling is that because it does happen infrequently, they will keep an eye on it and eventually fix it. I would suggest to help them debug it, tell them as much as you are able the different scenarios and what you did to get it to display this behavior. iBasso is quite responsive in fixing issues.

I also use an amp and I also notice this behavior somehow but on different scenario.

While a music is playing I browse by Artist then play an album. DX50 interrupt the currently playing song and play the first track of the selected album as expected. After playing 3 or more tracks ( the number could vary sometimes it reaches 5 or 6 songs) DX50 goes haywire like pausing for 2-3 seconds then continue playing, pause again then continue and after the 3rd time it completely stops and goes to the last song I played before the last reboot.
Also I noticed while this is happening the playback progress bar is not moving or does not show at all. This seems to happen at random and not due to a specific track I'm playing.

This issue seems frequent on FW 1.2.2 and 1.2.5 than on 1.2.6.

However, I think I found a workaround. It appears to prevent this from happening I have to actually pause the music that is currently playing before I select a new track I want to play. Ever since I did this I no longer encounter the issue.

But still if I forget and managed to play a song without pausing the currently playing track it surely it will happen again just don't know at which point.

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #8,872 of 18,652

This OS based factory reset doesn't delete anything inside that img folder on the root of the internal memory.  That being the database of every track it scanned on the SD card.  After each firmware upgrade, or downgrade even I would perform a factory reset from the OS and stick my SD card in and let it perform a full scan.  The DX50 obviously doesn't know how to handle entries that already exist in its database, so if you perform a full sd card scan when that img folder already has stuff in it it will create duplicates of every track that it already scanned before and stick an additional unique ID at the end of each.  I went in to browse the contents of this folder to realize that it had like 6 copies of every song in there.  over 16,000 files.

What I've always done with all of my FW upgrades (since dear old 1.0.0 :) ) is to plug in the device, delete everything on the internal memory through the computer (including the img folder), and then do all the other steps (copy the image, disconnect, apply the FW update, reset through advanced settings -not recovery mode- reconnect, delete FW image)… knocking on wood, it worked quite well for me.

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #8,873 of 18,652
What I've always done with all of my FW upgrades (since dear old 1.0.0 :) ) is to plug in the device, delete everything on the internal memory through the computer (including the img folder), and then do all the other steps (copy the image, disconnect, apply the FW update, reset through advanced settings -not recovery mode- reconnect, delete FW image)… knocking on wood, it worked quite well for me.

Well with 1.2.6 you need to do one additional thing but again only if you have not already put 1.2.6 on your DX50. You need to delete the .audio_data folder on your external card now else you might miss cover arts and a lack of scanning.

Good luck though and truly you'll enjoy the update, I certainly do! :wink:

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #8,874 of 18,652
It's a simple wire splice (well, two, actually) to attach a 9V snap connector to a battery pack. You don't even need solder for this one although it wouldn't hurt to use it. Good enough if you don't mind using an external charger. Make two kits and swap as needed.

Incorporating a charging circuit is a little more complicated. I'd leave that to those with more practical experience than I.

lol - It already sounds like a foreign language but I'm always up for learning a new skill.  I will look into it in the new year (well probably April - once Christmas is over, it's busy season at work so I Literally won't see the light of day for a number of months).  If a rechargeable Quickstep could be achieved in a form factors that mirrors (closely mirrors) the DX50 then it will definitely be worth the investment of time and money given the impressions Soren and bestowed up on it.  Thanks Ratinox, I may indeed come back to you for some tips in 2014!
FWIW, To my ears, I found the T1 to sound superior to the Vorzamp at about half the price.

Also very good to know thanks HiFlight. I guess this option (of an additional rechargeable amp) will very much depend on the outcome of my investigations into the Mod of the quickstep and whether or not I have the confidence to go ahead with it.  I suspect both may occur, given this damn website and it's affect over my spending habits - in which case your input HiFlight is very much appreciated.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #8,875 of 18,652

I've even had it happen once recently just last sunday when music was currently not playing.  Was when I decided to plug it into my car system using the lineout, I held down the volume up button to max it out at 255 from my regular headphones wearing volume.  No music was playing, but around 240 it stopped and reset itself back to the volume it was at when I turned it on.  Then I started the trek again to get it back to 255 and succeeded the second time around.  Lol.  I don't have or use an external amp for anything, so I probably have been seeing it happen more so than those that do. 

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #8,876 of 18,652

Until otherwise specified I will probably be doing this:

copy image
disconnect
apply firmware update
boot in recovery mode
perform factory reset from recovery mode
reboot
perform full sd card scan
configure my equalizer, brightness to 255, and gapless
start playing music

performing the factory reset also deletes the image so it removes the need to reconnect it and delete it afterwards.  :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #8,877 of 18,652
Received an email from iBasso about the volume glitch bug:

"Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We dont have the same bug reported by others.  I would suggest you to do the factory reset via the recovery mode.  Anyway, we will keep observing this issue.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio"

Seems that no one told them about this.  But I'm glad others here have seen it happening too.  :)

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #8,878 of 18,652
  Received an email from iBasso about the volume glitch bug:

"Hi,
Thank you for your email.
We dont have the same bug reported by others.  I would suggest you to do the factory reset via the recovery mode.  Anyway, we will keep observing this issue.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio"

Seems that no one told them about this.  But I'm glad others here have seen it happening too.  :)

my buddy @warrenpchi usually posts our Audio360.org reviews here --in a way so you just see the review here,
and DON'T have to click to go outside Head-Fi, which is nice-- but I thought you guys might like to see the piece
@frank_j  and Arly (don't have his Head-Fi handle memorized) wrote about the DX50 - and their issues.
And we have no agenda against iBasso!

HERE'S THE LINK TO THE REVIEW at Audio360

On the contrary, we hope they've nailed down the issues with the unit, and would welcome a follow-up! But it appears
they're still workin on glitches? Are they still consistent??

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #8,879 of 18,652
  my buddy @warrenpchi usually posts our Audio360.org reviews here --in a way so you just see the review here,
and DON'T have to click to go outside Head-Fi, which is nice-- but I thought you guys might like to see the piece
@frank_j  and Arly (don't have his Head-Fi handle memorized) wrote about the DX50 - and their issues.

On the contrary, we hope they've nailed down the issues with the unit, and would welcome a follow-up! But it appears

It would be fun if you guys did a follow-up review 3 months from now, checking in to see if things got better 
beerchug.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #8,880 of 18,652

From my experiences the players with the much more current firmware is extremely usable, as long as you're more careful with the database of files it creates than I was being.  I'm glad I didn't seem to jinx myself yesterday by my posting that my device stopped freezing, because it still hasn't froze.  :) 

But apparently it is fairly easy to put the device in a state of which it could freeze.  Which is unfortunate, and not very user friendly.  The freezing, the volume control glitch, and as of firmware 1.2.6 the lack of a proper gapless feature seem to sum of the remaining issues that I think really exist.  If those three things are addressed eventually I would be left with a perfect player.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back