The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #8,536 of 18,652
I see the same drain whether the player is playing or not, whether headphones are plugged in or not, whether anything is connected to the line out jack or not. The Rockchip SoC is designed to have a very good idle power profile and that's managed by the OS kernel, something that iBasso probably hasn't touched so that's probably not it. The two most likely culprits that I can think of are the amplifier and the uSD card. Testing the uSD card is easy: eject it when the player is going to be idle for several hours and see what happens. I'll try that myself today

The click or crack that you hear is a relay switching and, I believe, disconnecting the battery from the system (but not the charge circuit). It's normal.

Edit 1: Going on 3 hours with auto power off = never and uSD card removed. Battery gauge still reads full. I've sent a note to iBasso describing the situation and requesting that they look into it and get back to me so I can pass it on.

Edit 2: Four hours and the battery gauge ticked down one block. I think I'm on to something, here. Going to try a few things to see if I can narrow down what's being read from the card. Not expecting word from iBasso for a while; it's something like 3am there.

Edit 3: After a few more hours of testing it by leaving it idle my suspicion has changed slightly. Rather than the uSD card I now believe that it is the player looking at the .album_art directory on the internal store while a track is displayed but not playing. Going on three hours with the uSD card inserted, all album artwork removed, and the .album_art directory emptied followed by a reboot to make sure everything is clean. Excessive-seeming power drain is still there, less than with 300 or so album covers in .album_art, more than with the uSD card ejected and no music queued. This is still all Mk.I Eyeball measurement so your mileage may vary.

Will follow up with a new post once I hear back from iBasso.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #8,537 of 18,652

Hail the wise and all knowing Sorensiim.   
beerchug.gif

May you lead with grace and ideally not execute your uncle. 
biggrin.gif

Depends upon uncle's attitude. :^) One country setting new standards for getting in line. 

I will never execute blindly loyal subjects and/or familiy members.

Dec 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #8,538 of 18,652
Congrats on the peaceful transfer of power
smile.gif

I'd like to echo the preceding requests to have all FW versions available for DL on the OP. I'd like to also suggest that there be some sort of short sound signature description next to each FW along with any possible shortcomings or concerns that might accompany that particular version of the FW. Just my 2 cents.

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #8,539 of 18,652
  Congrats on the peaceful transfer of power
smile.gif

I'd like to echo the preceding requests to have all FW versions available for DL on the first page. I'd like to also suggest that there be some sort of short sound signature description next to each FW along with any possible shortcomings or concerns that might accompany that particular version of the FW. Just my 2 cents.

I believe Musicheaven volunteered to compile a list of firmwares and provide links to where their respective discussions start. I'll be sure to add that to the first post along with download links 
smile.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #8,540 of 18,652
  Does anybody use the DX50 with a external dac? If yes, what DAC do you use? I'm interested in the DB2.

I have a Portaphile 627X amp coming in soon en was wondering if a external dac would add to the SQ.

By the way: I was looking for a few nice flac files for my DX50. On linnrecords.com you can download a different, free 24-bit Studio Master track every day until Christmas day.

I know we have a couple of DX50 owners using external DACs and I hope they'll find the time to answer your questions - And a couple of mine while they're at it: Does the volume control of the DX50 affect the digital output? How about the EQ?

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #8,541 of 18,652
Give us an update when the first posts change =)

its nice that this thread will finally be getting the updates it needs!

YAY

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #8,543 of 18,652
Hey guys, sorry about being MIA for so long. I've been on and off HF and super busy with school.

Best of luck to y'all and Soren you can change the entire layout of the OP if you'd like. Ty Anak<3

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #8,544 of 18,652
  I know we have a couple of DX50 owners using external DACs and I hope they'll find the time to answer your questions - And a couple of mine while they're at it: Does the volume control of the DX50 affect the digital output? How about the EQ?

I have volume at zero when using my D12 with DX50. Volume control has no affect on sound. EQ does affect output using digital.

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #8,545 of 18,652

I have volume at zero when using my D12 with DX50. Volume control has no affect on sound. EQ does affect output using digital.

Thanks man! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #8,546 of 18,652

Really? Strange unless their EQ is going through an ADC after the EQ circuitry, I failed to see how the digital signal which should be tapped before the DAC would have any effect on it. Did you ask iBasso how the EQ has been implemented? Can't be trough the DAC because the 8740 has limited filtering ability at least not to the level of multi band EQ and it'd be outputting on the Analog domain not digital. Truly a mystery to me. :frowning2:

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #8,547 of 18,652
Really? Strange unless their EQ is going through an ADC after the EQ circuitry, I failed to see how the digital signal which should be tapped before the DAC would have any effect on it. Did you ask iBasso how the EQ has been implemented? Can't be trough the DAC because the 8740 has limited filtering ability at least not to the level of multi band EQ and it'd be outputting on the Analog domain not digital. Truly a mystery to me.
frown.gif

I just tried it and when I turn on EQ volume level drops. I never used the EQ myself the DX50/D12 combo with the top flight kit sound great to me.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #8,548 of 18,652
Really? Strange unless their EQ is going through an ADC after the EQ circuitry, I failed to see how the digital signal which should be tapped before the DAC would have any effect on it. Did you ask iBasso how the EQ has been implemented? Can't be trough the DAC because the 8740 has limited filtering ability at least not to the level of multi band EQ and it'd be outputting on the Analog domain not digital. Truly a mystery to me. :frowning2:

Software eq! :) maybe.

On another note none commented on the eq phase shift. By lowering all 'flat' bands (if what i read here is true that off eq is like full , all up which its sounds like that) on a non linear eq is an overkill.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #8,549 of 18,652

As was pointed out to me, the DAC can't do EQ. Any EQ processing has to happen either in the digital domain prior to the DAC stage or in the analog domain after the DAC stage. Given what's been described I figure the whole playback process goes something like [player software: read -> decode -> signal processing -> D1/D2 split]. The D1 split goes something like [D1: volume -> digital to analog conversion -> A1/A2 split]. The D2 split goes to the coax output. The A1 split goes to the headphone amplifier and the A2 split goes directly to the line out. The signal processing stage is where EQ and the various sound shaping happens (cf discussions about soundstage sizes and shapes across different software versions).

Take it with a grain of salt because I'm guessing on the flow.

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #8,550 of 18,652
As was pointed out to me, the DAC can't do EQ. Any EQ processing has to happen either in the digital domain prior to the DAC stage or in the analog domain after the DAC stage. Given what's been described I figure the whole playback process goes something like [player software: read -> decode -> signal processing -> D1/D2 split]. The D1 split goes something like [D1: volume -> digital to analog conversion -> A1/A2 split]. The D2 split goes to the coax output. The A1 split goes to the headphone amplifier and the A2 split goes directly to the line out. The signal processing stage is where EQ and the various sound shaping happens (cf discussions about soundstage sizes and shapes across different software versions).

Take it with a grain of salt because I'm guessing on the flow.

Sounds correct to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back