The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 27, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #7,576 of 18,652
How do your 846s sound with the DX50 on high gain? Have a pair myself and thinking of pulling the trigger on a 50.

The combo sounds fantastic, to me.  But the dx50 is just a month old, and the shures just 2-3 weeks.  So the whole combo is new to my ears.  Those 846s are really something....
I don`t think you can go wrong with the dx50 unless you get one of the the really buggy ones some people seem to have in this thread.  Mine has worked without drama.  

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #7,577 of 18,652
Perhaps I should have been more clear, that is only in relation to the first scan to build the database. All subsequent scans when I turn the unit back on are only a couple of seconds as you describe. Or am I wrong and even your initial scan is only a few seconds?

Mine has never done this long scan people mention.  And now, whenever I power it on and I see that `scanning` screen I just hit the X in the top right corner and start playing music, sans problemma.  Also, I keep downloading/ripping new music and adding it the card and sometimes delete files as well, and it`s never done a long scan.  

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #7,578 of 18,652
Does anyone have experience with the AKG Q701 or similar AKG's with the DX50? On paper, these look good and I've got an itch to try an open ear model. interested in listening to the DX50 unamped.

I"m pretty happy with my Sony MDR V6 right out of the DX50 and like a flat response but I'm curious about what might be the next headphone.
Thanks,
Scott

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #7,579 of 18,652
Does anyone have experience with the AKG Q701 or similar AKG's with the DX50? On paper, these look good and I've got an itch to try an open ear model. interested in listening to the DX50 unamped.

I"m pretty happy with my Sony MDR V6 right out of the DX50 and like a flat response but I'm curious about what might be the next headphone.
Thanks,
Scott

ive got the q701 and for me ,if it pairs with dx50 unamped, i would say it is listenable, but not enjoyable. the high is a little bit harsh and than body is thin.

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #7,581 of 18,652
  Mine has never done this long scan people mention.  And now, whenever I power it on and I see that `scanning` screen I just hit the X in the top right corner and start playing music, sans problemma.  Also, I keep downloading/ripping new music and adding it the card and sometimes delete files as well, and it`s never done a long scan.  

..... Interesting, I can confirm that I have the later option you mention to hit the 'x' and stop the scan, but if I want to use Artist, Album navigation rather than directory, then I have to let the first scan build the database otherwise there is no info under the database, and I'd only be left with the directory navigation.

Can you confirm that you actually use the database method of navigation (i.e. use Artist, Album, etc,) and not just directory navigation.  Might be worth stating the firmware version you're on - I'm using 1.2.5.  Thanks

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #7,583 of 18,652
Thanks. I compared the HO and LO at the same volume level, to my ears the HO is still much better. But with SE535 the hiss is too bad. I may just use W4R with the DX50 or get a C5 to pair with it.

Well, yes. The HO is amplified and the LO isn't. I find that around 210 on the HO offers comfortable listening with my SE215's. I need to set the volume to around 225-230 for the LO to offer the same experience. Setting the volume higher is a substantially better bargain than dropping $500 on an amplifier that may not be needed. If you feel the need to spend money then check out the SE215's. Comparisons earlier in the thread suggest that it is a better match for DX50 without an outboard amp than the ostensibly superior models in Shure's lineup.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #7,584 of 18,652
  Well, yes. The HO is amplified and the LO isn't. I find that around 210 on the HO offers comfortable listening with my SE215's. I need to set the volume to around 225-230 for the LO to offer the same experience. Setting the volume higher is a substantially better bargain than dropping $500 on an amplifier that may not be needed. If you feel the need to spend money then check out the SE215's. Comparisons earlier in the thread suggest that it is a better match for DX50 without an outboard amp than the ostensibly superior models in Shure's lineup.

Just take note the LO has a higher Output impedance (about 1k ohm  if I'm not mistaken) than the HO. This will drastically change the FR of IEMs. Clipping is certainly noticeable. at both ends of the spectrum.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #7,585 of 18,652
Just received my DX50 yesterday, love it with my Amperior (have yet to try it with my DT770/80 and MD).

I've been hearing that the sound coming out of the LO is better than the HO. This is surprising to me because the sound out of the LO super terrible. I am plugging my Amperior directly to the HO and LO btw. Perhaps, I'm missing something?

Btw, I'm pretty new to the audiophile realm.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #7,587 of 18,652
  Just received my DX50 yesterday, love it with my Amperior (have yet to try it with my DT770/80 and MD).

I've been hearing that the sound coming out of the LO is better than the HO. This is surprising to me because the sound out of the LO super terrible. I am plugging my Amperior directly to the HO and LO btw. Perhaps, I'm missing something?

Btw, I'm pretty new to the audiophile realm.

LO with an external amp that is definitely much better than HO

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #7,588 of 18,652

The LO signal is clean. There is no amplifier noise because there is no amplifier on the LO jack. Read the DX50 FAQ, follow the advice there, and be amazed.

Nov 27, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #7,589 of 18,652
  The LO signal is clean. There is no amplifier noise because there is no amplifier on the LO jack. Read the DX50 FAQ, follow the advice there, and be amazed.

On the subject of this, I've just noticed the volume controls of the DX50 work when feeding an amp via LO. I'm guessing I'm missing something, but shouldn't this not happen if it's bypassing the internal amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back