The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #14,461 of 18,652
Download and install Sound Unlocked 1.3.1 FW like any other stock FW from here: https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked

To access Lossy / Lossless / FLAC only / IRR Bandwidth menu You must set DX50 to LOCK and shut it down and boot back up with LOCK still ON.
When You have chosen Your options then just turn LOCK to OFF and it will resume into UI. Which mode to use is up to You to test and depends on Your setup, taste, music, cans etc.
but I recommend to start with IRR off + DF Slow roll-off + FLAC only mode and put Your DX50 to mid-gain (turn down vol first).

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #14,462 of 18,652
Hey guys - totally new around these parts!

I just picked up a DX50 as a replacement for my Cowon X7 which recently died (And since come back to life!)

This thing is amazing so far, i really enjoy the sound on it through my Sony MDR-1R's I've got a few questions which would be awesome if some of you knowledgeable types would kindly answer!

I've tried the various custom firmwares and such - but seem to think the stock 1.5.0 sounds better to me.  Do the custom firmwares have any benefits other than tweaked SQ?

I put Rockbox on but just found it really glitchy and practically unusable on here.. everything so tiny and not too smooth to scroll through - what are the benefits of having it?  I removed it and now completely back to stock 1.5.0.

Seen IRR mentioned a few times on here - what does it mean?

I've noticed some setting in the menu under Digital Filter - sharp and slow roll off - i don't seem to be able to tell any difference on either setting - what do they do?

Thanks
Paul

I don't remember exactly what IRR does, but the setting is available with the sound unlocked firmware. As far as the digital roll-out setting it only has a use when the DX50 is being used as an external DAC. Sharp roll off cuts the frequencies below 20Hz and above 20kHz. I believe slow roll off does it in a more gradual fashion. I prefer the sound off slow roll off myself.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #14,464 of 18,652
  Do y'all think the SD card quality/speed effects how the player reacts, as in scrolling and general UI behavior? 
My player is sluggish..using a stupid basic 32GB card! no speed or class is mentioned on the packaging! 

When you're accessing the card the speed of the card will noticeable if you have a lot of files.  If the write speed sucks, that's not a big deal.  You'll prolly want something with a good read speed, so you can access the contents of the MicroSD card quicker (browsing the card and folders).  There will also be less delays in skipping tracks with a faster card.  Playback will be the same on a slow or fast card.

The UI resides on the internal storage of your DX50.  The MicroSD won't affect the UI.  BTW, I not sure if having additional files on the internal storage will affect the performance of the UI.  In theory it shouldn't.  Personally, I kept my internal storage empty and have all of my files on the MicroSD card.  The only thing I use the internal storage for is the OS.  I've been using my DX50 for almost a month, and I haven't run into any issues yet.

Also make sure you have one of the new firmwares install on your DX50.  Earlier versions of the firmware were buggy.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #14,465 of 18,652
  Do y'all think the SD card quality/speed effects how the player reacts, as in scrolling and general UI behavior? 
My player is sluggish..using a stupid basic 32GB card! no speed or class is mentioned on the packaging! 

Maybe but not so sure. What FW are You using and did You do full mSD media/library scan before browsing/using?
  Found one 64GB uSD card from my country web-shop and it costs only 29€ - ADATA Premier Micro SDXC UHS-I 64GB (Video Full HD) +SDHC Adapter
Manufacturer link: http://www.adata.com/index.php?action=product_feature&cid=7&piid=203
Should be good but we`ll see, going to get one.

Works flawless. Media scan and UI works very fast :wink: Haven`t had any speed/react issues yet with any FW with this card.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #14,467 of 18,652
I just picked up a 32GB Standisk ultra, class 10. Before I start filling this card, Do I need to reformat it in player, or are there anything different that I need to do and not aware of?
Appreciated!

As far as I know, the player can't format cards.  Load current firmware, do a factory restore, and format MicroSD on computer to FAT32.  You can copy music to the card by either plugging the card into your computer or after putting the card in your DX50 and connecting it via USB.  I found it to be quick and easy when connecting to my computer.

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #14,469 of 18,652
Omg, this is crazy! O_o Not that it`s a bad thing :wink:
And the testing starts... 

Jul 29, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #14,470 of 18,652
  Sound Unlocked version 1.3.3!

More info - https://github.com/dm1try/dx50_sound_unlocked

Add possibility to fix CPU freq. It affects SQ. 

My settings:  Mid gain/ Flac only / Irr on / 312kHz :wink:

thank you

EDIT: Oh hey is it possible for you to add gain settings to the line out? I use that for my car but I have to max out the volume+boost the levels to have a decent volume (vinyl rips for the win)

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #14,471 of 18,652
Wondering how much playtime this 312kHz CPU setting will save us 
biggrin.gif
 Atm running @ FLAC-only + IRR off + 312kHz + DF slow roll-off and everything sounds superb! Soundwise, not yet sure if there much difference between default variable CPU vs. 312kHz. Got to do more comparing with rested ears and brain but seems that with CPU set to 312kHz it is tinybit cleaner sounding but with default setting feels fraction more dynamical sound. Not sure which one I`m going to use but first impressions say that it definitely is not worse and if it saves power then going to use it! (Y) 

Only thing I wish now would be those All/lossless/flac/irr/CPU settings to be in UI menu so we wouldn`t have to do restart each time :wink:

Keep up that awesome work medmitry and another gift might follow! ;D

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #14,472 of 18,652
biggrin.gif
 Atm running @ FLAC-only + IRR off + 312kHz + DF slow roll-off and everything sounds superb! Soundwise, not yet sure if there much difference between default variable CPU vs. 312kHz. Got to do more comparing with rested ears and brain but seems that with CPU set to 312kHz it is tinybit cleaner sounding but with default setting feels fraction more dynamical sound. Not sure which one I`m going to use but first impressions say that it definitely is not worse and if it saves power then going to use it! (Y) 

Only thing I wish now would be those All/lossless/flac/irr/CPU settings to be in UI menu so we wouldn`t have to do restart each time :wink:

I think Dmitry's working on it.  That's a little more difficult to do, cuz he needs to make a change to the existing UI.  With the lock menu, I assume a program is being launching during start up, which only gets triggered if the device is locked.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #14,473 of 18,652

thank you

EDIT: Oh hey is it possible for you to add gain settings to the line out? I use that for my car but I have to max out the volume+boost the levels to have a decent volume (vinyl rips for the win)

why would you add gain to the line out? Gain is a function of the amplifier. This can't be influenced by software because it's a hardware switch on the amplifier stage. You use the lineout to hook DX50 up to an external amplifier and you have to max out the volume on DX50 to get the best SNR.

If you are not getting a loud enough volume to your car speakers, try using the HO instead of the LO.

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #14,474 of 18,652

biggrin.gif

I think Dmitry's working on it.  That's a little more difficult to do, cuz he needs to make a change to the existing UI.  With the lock menu, I assume a program is being launching during start up, which only gets triggered if the device is locked.

I know he is working on that and I`m in no rush, just expressed my wish for future release(s) :wink: It`s actually hard to imagine even more options to come like CPU & irr but You never know.
For me, soundwise, this FW has reached pretty much to its limits and very very pleased with the result. Didn`t ever expect this DAP to achieve such sound. Just awesome!

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #14,475 of 18,652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back