The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 25, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #14,431 of 18,652

confused.gif

I fear that the coaxial output single out bits.

?

Not sure I know what you mean.

Jul 25, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #14,433 of 18,652
is there anyone here who has listened to both the dx90 and the dx50 (with one of the modded firmwares like mega sound explosion or sound unlocked) and thinks the dx50 with the modded firmware is at least close enough to the dx90 to be worth buying over it? just curious.

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #14,435 of 18,652

Sorry for not explaining better.

Format code is converted into a PCM bit stream and transmitted through the coaxial cable to the external DAC. 
Therefore do not think it is possible to affect the EQ or other processes that perform the DAP except as I said the decoding format.

Not too sure what point you're trying to get across.  However, upon connecting it again to my receiver right now it appears the dx50 volume has no effect on the coaxial output, however the EQ definitely does take effect.  

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #14,436 of 18,652

Not too sure what point you're trying to get across.  However, upon connecting it again to my receiver right now it appears the dx50 volume has no effect on the coaxial output, however the EQ definitely does take effect.  

Exactly.
Put another way: firmware, volume, equalizer and others can not affect the flow of digital coaxial connector.

Sorry for awkward English.

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #14,437 of 18,652
  So my DX50 is still having mental problems sorting songs in order.

Sometimes it will play fine right through an entire album, but at random I'll start an album, play track 1, then instead of going to track 2 after it jumps straight to the last track. Or another example would be I was playing track 5, skipped to the next by hand and it went to track 1.

Firmware 1.2.8
Directory: micro sd card (folder browsing)
Format: 16/44 FLAC

I've checked the repeat, order, shuffle, everything I can think of  but the problem remains and it's really random with all albums. It might play one album fine once then the next day have this sorting problem. I've tried changing cards, I cannot work out if it's a tagging problem.

Anyone who's had it occur or has any ideas let me know please. I've contacted iBasso.

I'd sure like to get to the bottom of it as it's just silly. :p

Hello there,

I have exactly the same problem with my DX90
confused.gif
I'll contact iBasso too.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #14,438 of 18,652

Exactly.
Put another way: firmware, volume, equalizer and others can not affect the flow of digital coaxial connector.

It's not about iBasso DX50. Where are decoders should be, in your opinion? You can download some  DTS 5.1 Audio CD rip and try play using dx50 SPDIF with some DVD receiver. When EQ is switched off you hear 5.1 sound but when EQ is switched ON you hear just a noise(not a "bit perfect" sound :wink: )

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #14,439 of 18,652

Hello there,

I have exactly the same problem with my DX90
confused.gif
I'll contact iBasso too.

I cannot promise this will fix your problem, but what I did was:

1) Reinstall the firmware.
2) Factory reset (as normal after firmware upgrade)
3) Delete the .audio_data file on your sd card. 
4) Rescan the card.

After doing all those things it appears my problem went away. 

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #14,440 of 18,652

I cannot promise this will fix your problem, but what I did was:

1) Reinstall the firmware.
2) Factory reset (as normal after firmware upgrade)
3) Delete the .audio_data file on your sd card. 
4) Rescan the card.

After doing all those things it appears my problem went away. 

Thanks for your answer.
Meanwhile I've upgraded to firmware V2.1.0 I as I "forgot" to upgrade from my stock 2.0.0 !
...so I did every points except 3rd.

I'll see. thanks again.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #14,441 of 18,652

Exactly.

But the EQ does affect the sound of the coaxial output.  It's what I am saying, you can use the internal DX50 EQ to modify the way the sound going out the coaxial cable is.  So it gets processed from the software first as it gets converted to PCM.  If it was a bitstream of DTS or Dolby Digital it wouldn't have access to the audio and would be forced to send it out as is until it gets to a receiver to decode it.  The DX50 volume control happens at the DAC level though, which is being avoided for the coaxial output, so would be why volume has no effect.  But EQ certainly does.

On that note, you can also use the EQ in foobar on a computer to modify the sound going out a digital optical cable in PCM format.  So it's the same thing.  With EQs turned off on my home theater pc and the dx50 the dx50 produces more low end, it is bassier than the htpc for some reason.  Not just a little, but there's a significant increase in bass output.  Depending on music, sounds a little muddy by comparison. Just a bit.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #14,443 of 18,652
Last night I was sitting around lamenting that I don't have a desktop headphone amp setup at the moment (Realtek motherboard audio sucks--lol). I'm selling my desktop components to make way for an NFB-11, which will be here in a few days. The DX50 has been great as my 2nd string setup, but I still miss a desktop amp.

To date, I hadn't tried the DX50 dac output except with an E12 and C&C BH. I wasn't impressed that much with the difference using these portable amps. Not knocking those who think it's worthwhile for the extra bit of difference, but it's not that big a jump in SQ, so not enough to me to warrant hooking up the portable amps to the DX50.

However, my Meier Corda Rock is sitting around doing nothing since I sold my ODAC. For those of you who don't know, Meier amps are created and built by Jan Meier in a smaller boutique shop company out of Germany. Not quite as well known as some of the other headphone amp brands on Head-Fi, but still well known for excellent SQ among those who have heard his equipment. The Corda Rock is the smallest headphone amp that Meier produces, and the size would cause one to underestimate it's fantastic sound. The Corda Rock tends toward smoothness, not an analytical signature. Very nice, that good blackness (with a good DAC) and plenty of power.

So on a whim, I hooked up the DAC output from the DX50 with the Corda Rock using my Zu Audio Mission cables, and WOW! The particular smooth sound of the Wolfson in the DX50 is a fantastic match for the Meier Corda Rock, even better than the ODAC sounded with the Corda Rock. I'm hearing incredible resolution and depth right up there with the Asgard 2 and ODAC (I've used them together and find them a better pairing than the Corda Rock and ODAC). In fact, the difference in SQ between the DX50 (used with the E12 or the C&C BH) vs. with the Corda Rock is a bigger jump in SQ than comparing my Sansa Clip to the DX50 (with the E12 or C&W BH). It was just hard to believe it could sound this good. What a perfect pairing where the two sound signatures just mesh together so well where the best quality of each comes out. I'm wondering if my NFB-11 will be any better (lol).

Now what I do? I was planning on selling the Meier Corda Rock to make way for the NFB-11 (and I told myself I would to fund it). :frowning2: Nice thing about the Corda Rock is that it's only 4" x 4". So it would make an absolutely great headphone station in my living room by my couch or in the bedroom next to the bed where I could plug up the DX50 any time.

Anyone else find a pairing like this with the DX50? This is like an order of magnitude better than what the portable amps I have tried with it are able to do.

Jul 26, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #14,445 of 18,652
Would try it but does it match for DX50? It`s DX90 FW. Or... could You implement this stuff into Your Sound Unlocked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back