The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Jul 17, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #14,297 of 18,652
Just for clarification: The DAC will always output the same amount of noise ( DAC noise floor: -117dBfs for the WM8740)
The digital volume control (bit shifting) as no impact on this noise
The digital volume control will affect only the SIGNAL (music)
If this signal contain noise (noise floor of the recording) this noise can be attenuated up to the DAC noise floor

Jul 17, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #14,298 of 18,652
  Just for clarification: The DAC will always output the same amount of noise ( DAC noise floor: -117dBfs for the WM8740)
The digital volume control (bit shifting) as no impact on this noise
The digital volume control will affect only the SIGNAL (music)
If this signal contain noise (noise floor of the recording) this noise can be attenuated up to the DAC noise floor

thanks for the info. so, to get the BEST sound out of DX%), one would need to find an amp that matches or surpasses the noise output level oof -117dbs?

Jul 18, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #14,299 of 18,652

thanks for the info. so, to get the BEST sound out of DX%), one would need to find an amp that matches or surpasses the noise output level oof -117dbs?

Or just use (t)woo of these babies?
atsmile.gif
Hehehehe
atsmile.gif

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #14,300 of 18,652
Ok, seems I have ran into same problem one user had here - SU1.2.3 lossless only mode > does not play one FLAC album of Omar R.L.:

Any idea what is the problem? So far it has been only one Album. It shows album data in PC but in DX50 shows only File; Title; Album; Artist and Duration, other info is 0.

Edit: Tried also lossless mode off and irr off but still wont play ;( I tried editing ID tags to see if it helps but so far no program hasn`t been able to edit those tags.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #14,302 of 18,652
  Ok, seems I have ran into same problem one user had here - SU1.2.3 lossless only mode > does not play one FLAC album of Omar R.L.:

Any idea what is the problem? So far it has been only one Album. It shows album data in PC but in DX50 shows only File; Title; Album; Artist and Duration, other info is 0.

Edit: Tried also lossless mode off and irr off but still wont play ;( I tried editing ID tags to see if it helps but so far no program hasn`t been able to edit those tags.

Could you try 1.5.0 stock FW? Or give me a sample track (using PM:) ).

Jul 18, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #14,303 of 18,652
Tried stock 1.5.0 FW and still same thing. Also tried to play from both, internal and mSD card. I think those flac files have somekind of tag problem or are encoded in wierd way/setting that DX50 won`t just play them. Will keep trying and let You know if there is any success.

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #14,304 of 18,652
Can someone help me out please. I'm contemplating between the DX50 & DX90. Which one will sound better with a Westone UM3X? I listen mostly to rock and dont like too much bass, just a bit is ok, but either dap shouldnt be giving out too much bass.
Thanks

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #14,305 of 18,652

They will both, 100% guarantee, sound excellent with these IEMs.

The bass quantity and quality will depend more on the tips you select and the firmware that you use than on the hardware in these DAPs.

If you are looking for excellent sound and not the latest model the DX50 will be more than enough.
If money is no concern then just grab the DX90 as it is a bit more advanced in terms of hardware.

The differences in the sound would depend much, much, much more on the firmware and the settings than on the different DACs inside. The DACs and their architecture in the DX90 are considered better in terms of sonic characteristics, still the DACs in both devices are excellent and they are the strongest link in the chain. The difference between the two devices is not that substantial.

And by all means - enjoy whatever DAP you chose!!

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #14,306 of 18,652
Hahaha, seriously though, those things are very spendy and I'd like to find a portable amplifier not a mini atomic reactor...
biggrin.gif

If I am not wrong this is the most expensive headphone amp in the world, or at least one of the most expensive. Still I am sure that many amps that cost a fraction will boost identical or even better performance.

Jul 19, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #14,308 of 18,652
  After using firmware 1.5.0 for a while (since its release) I do have to say that the gapless playback isn't as good as it was in 1.2.8.  Seems to have some random issues.  Sometimes I hear a pop or tick between .flacs in live performances, sometimes a track doesn't start at full volume but fades in.  A little bit like the crossfade bug in a previous firmware, but it isn't crossfading.  Just fades in the start of a track.  

A majority of the time the gapless is OK, but randomly it does either fade a song in that shouldn't be faded in or add a pop sound.  Experienced none of this in 1.2.8.  

I hope someday they release a firmware that is 100% consistent, reliable and feature rich.  

I also had some issues when I first used 1.5.0, eventually going back to 1.2.8. After some issues with my SDcards (see earlier posts), I reinstalled 1.5.0 and used all my settings as I had before. (Gapless on, Play mode: Order, EQ set to Rock) I still had occasional issues until I changed one setting.

I turned off the EQ.

Ever since then, I have had no issues. The music sounds good, everything plays gapless without pops or ticks, and no crossfading. I'm not saying it will solve your problems, but that simple change is what worked for me. Don't be afraid to change your settings, you can always put them back.

Jul 19, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #14,309 of 18,652
  Who wanna try a beta version of SU with changed SQ, pls PM. BTW, no lossy formats.

After the PMs I sent to you with the test notes, comparisons and reports I spent some more time simply listening - just for fun and relax.

Settings: amp set to mid gain, lossles only deselected(so flac only), irr selected(extended bandwidth on), slow roll-off filter, EQ switched off, gapeless switched off.

This is the best sound I have ever heard from the DX50, period.

Jul 19, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #14,310 of 18,652

Settings: amp set to mid gain, lossles only deselected(so flac only), irr selected(extended bandwidth on), slow roll-off filter, EQ switched off, gapeless switched off.

This is the best sound I have ever heard from the DX50, period.

Also tested that beta and I totally agree - it is best sounding FW yet, period. This FLAC only is best!
Actually it is so good that it turned my DX50 to desktop rig 
atsmile.gif

Although my opinion about irr off vs. on stays same. For me irr off sounds better - larger airier soundstage and more separated intruments in depth towards front-middle compared to irr on. 
But then again, irr on has littlebit better spreading in width of soundstage and analytical "bright-sided" sound through spectrum. I guess it also depends on cans being used.
For my Fidelio X1 irr off is very natural and dynamic sounding with very well spread out instruments, imaging and great transparency. Live-like "true" sound to me. 
But this is subjective and depends on taste, music, cans etc. Both settings are very good anyway and really recommend to try them with different cans :wink:

Edit: Oh, forgot, it`s beta. Wait till new SU version comes out. It should have some other improvements also :wink:

Edit2: Anyone know good webshop in EU where I could order original screen protectors for DX50? Mine is made in 2013 so it is 13th batch? Seems that 12th batch screen protectors are tinybit smaller. I bought 12th batch screen protectors from eBay (Savvies SU75) but finger doesn`t slip on it so well as on originals. Unfortunately I screwed up both originals because there were little bubbles under them (dust). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back