The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 25, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #9,136 of 18,652
Merry Christmas fellows :)

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #9,140 of 18,652
This post is IMHO, and might already be contained within the previous 609 pages of posts, if so I apologize for the repeat. Just opened my DX-50, received as a Christmas present to replace my iPod Classic, CypherLabs Algorithim Solo and FiiO E17 stack that I use daily with my Westone Custom ES3X IEMS. I loaded Faith Hill, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Pearl Jam and The Eagles, all 24 bit 96 kHz FLAC files, no upsampling, purchased high-res from HD Tracks (Realizing they are different from what the iPod plays with its limitation of 16 bit 48kHz files so this is not a like comparison). I was very surprised that upon turning on the DX50 and plugging in the IEM's I could hear the noise floor with the gain set to low, where as I do not hear the noise floor of my current rig. I listened to various songs and was surprised that IMHO the music seemed duller and seemed to have less clarity than my current rig. Furthermore I notice that apply any EQ settings seemed, IMHO, to additionally reduce the music clarity. The firmware shows version 1.2.6.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

Dec 25, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #9,142 of 18,652
is it wise to downgrade from dx 100? I hate the chunkyness now as i do a lot of air travel. And there were some trouble to get through the custom sometime, lol. Was looking for a smaller in size portable for travel use

If you're mobile, DX50 is a good compromise for sound to gain what you need.

I still use my plugged DX100-portaphile 627 rig for my desk. :) I use the DX50 only when I travel, which is not frequent. :)

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #9,144 of 18,652
Merry Xmas everyone !!

iam waiting for the dx50 to ship, because of mp4nation now i hate the word "processing", i asked them beginning of the week when is it going to ship, they said this week, at nearly end of the week and still processing, now i read on their forums they are on vacation from the 25th to 2nd of jan, i hope they are still going to ship this week :xf_mad:

Comoooooooooon mp4nation !!

i have "frequent checking order state" disorder and its getting on my nerve :D

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #9,145 of 18,652
DX50's internal amp has a bad amount of hiss/noise floor.
smily_headphones1.gif
you can try to use the line out with the e17 amp to see if you like it
smily_headphones1.gif

xnuthecaveman,

Thank you for your response, although your confirmation of the hiss/noise floor is unfortunate. I tried the DX50 Line Out to E17 Aux In, bypassing the DX50 amp as you suggested and the sound, IMHO, is surprisingly somewhat improved. Then I checked the specs on the e17 and found the SPDIF Input to be a digital COAX (rather than optical) so I connected the DX50 COAX Out to the E17 SPDIF Input, bypassing both the DX50 DAC and AMP and wow, IMHO, the sound is awesome.

It could be I have a familiarity bias towards the E17, although this is not the first time I have tried to ditch the E17 in favor of more expensive portable amps and/or a more consolidated rig (i.e. less than 3 components), but somehow end up with the E17 back in the stack. Although this brings my rig down to two components, the DX50 and E17, and with the DX50 I gain increased file type playback flexibility and sampling, bit rate flexibility. 

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #9,147 of 18,652

xnuthecaveman,

Then I checked the specs on the e17 and found the SPDIF Input to be a digital COAX (rather than optical) so I connected the DX50 COAX Out to the E17 SPDIF Input, bypassing both the DX50 DAC and AMP and wow, IMHO, the sound is awesome.

cool.... so you prefer DX50 as a pure transport? i did not try this way but trust you. sadly the more i listen to DX50 the more i like amping this baby. iBasso must update the amp section to make DX50 more complete DAP.

MERRY XMAS everybody 
beerchug.gif
 and the hymn of Head-Fi'ers here:

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #9,148 of 18,652
Have had my DX50 since Friday and am generally impressed. The look and feel and buils quality is very good and much batter than the price would indicate. It works well at high gain with my Tzar350 and much better line out to my SR71-B with balanced JH13. My main problem, actually a very big one, is the "gapless" implementation. It is nothing like gapless, rather it seems to be a 5 ot 10 second crossfade. As I listen to a lot of classical music gapless is essential so I really hope they get that fixed in an upcoming firmware release. The other "problem" is that the line out is not very strong so I need to run the SR71-B at medium gain and 3/4 of the volume to get the same percieved sound as I do with an iPod Classic and the SR71-B at low gain and 1/2 on the volume so I think it will be difficault to use this with my HE-500.

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #9,149 of 18,652
  Have had my DX50 since Friday and am generally impressed. The look and feel and buils quality is very good and much batter than the price would indicate. It works well at high gain with my Tzar350 and much better line out to my SR71-B with balanced JH13. My main problem, actually a very big one, is the "gapless" implementation. It is nothing like gapless, rather it seems to be a 5 ot 10 second crossfade. As I listen to a lot of classical music gapless is essential so I really hope they get that fixed in an upcoming firmware release. The other "problem" is that the line out is not very strong so I need to run the SR71-B at medium gain and 3/4 of the volume to get the same percieved sound as I do with an iPod Classic and the SR71-B at low gain and 1/2 on the volume so I think it will be difficault to use this with my HE-500.

They b0rked the gapless on 1.2.6, if you install the 1.2.5 firmware you'll get proper gapless. 

Long time, no see by the way 
smile.gif

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #9,150 of 18,652

cool.... so you prefer DX50 as a pure transport? i did not try this way but trust you. sadly the more i listen to DX50 the more i like amping this baby. iBasso must update the amp section to make DX50 more complete DAP.

MERRY XMAS everybody 
beerchug.gif
 and the hymn of Head-Fi'ers here:

Dire Straits Mark Knopfler is one of my favorite British signer/band, brings back lots of memories. Does this guy know on to make a guitar weep or what? 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back