The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 25, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #7,471 of 18,652
  You've completely misunderstood me. I certainly did not intend to criticise you if you took it that way. You should be commended for trying to help out.

I am not sure if you've been reading this thread since the beginning so you may also have missed my many posts about cleaning tags and so on in the same effort as you to help others overcome the apparent inconsistent scan times and so on of the DX. I also totally agree that iBasso is to be commended for taking the time and effort to remedy them. But that doesn't mean I should forgive them for the time it's cost me fiddling with files that worked perfectly well on their sister DAP the DX100.

My earlier comment that you thought I was being critical of you was to purely say that with so many competitively priced and some not so competitively priced DAPs on the market each with their idiosyncracies, we (that is you AND I) should not be forced into all these hoops and hurdles to get a player to simply list our albums and show the songs without having to reformat our files every time we get a new one. I've got or had a DX100, DX50, AK100, RWAK100 and a Sony Z-1070, plus Android phones and iPhones and iPads and iPods, Rockboxed and standard. AND everyone of them I have had to go through this process of adding tags deleting tags, changing artwork from embedded to folder.jpg insertions.

Wouldn't it be nice to just load up the music and have the thing display and play?

No, definitely no criticism intended...  just pointing out that none of us should have to do this when digital music standards have been around for over a decade and reading files should be sorted out by now.

Then I owe you an apology, because I did take it the wrong way.  I am sorry for jumping to conclusions and I will take total blame for that.  I've tried to read as many posts on this thread prior to purchasing my DX50 and even now that I have owned it for about 4 days, but it is hard to read all (especially since it is up to 499 pages).  I will admit I did miss your posts, but I read so many more horror stories and that is what led me to clean and organize my music library prior to receiving the DX50.

I just hated to hear everyone's frustrations with this player and I felt bad for each and everyone who felt defeated by this device and it's software.  I do agree with you that iBasso should have been more diligent in their software releases, but it does appear that they are on the right track.

I never had to deal with the earlier firmware releases, so I did not have to go through the headaches that the veteran owners have.  And I also apologize to all who read these posts as coming off as some brash newbie, thinking he know's everything.  I am beginning to think that it is not so much of how I prepared my musie library that has allowed me to use this device without the troubles posted in the past, rather I just got on board at the right time when iBasso is starting to release some stable software.

I hate it for you and all the early users that have endured the trouble software from day one, but at the same time I applaud you all that have stuck with it and helped all the newbies like myself to enjoy this player.

I cannot express enough how much head-fi has helped me in this hobby and it is really neat to have the opportunity to communicate with great folks around the globe that share an interest and help each other.

BTW, I you mentioned that you have used/owned the AK100; I'm just curious how that (a $700 unite) compares to the DX50?

Nov 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #7,473 of 18,652
I just wanted to give an update, for anyone interested, about my batter cover issues.  iBasso contaced replied back to my inquiry about receiving another battery cover this morning.  They advised me that them batter covery was not mounted correctly and advised me to re-mount it.  I did and it is still mis-aligned, so I have taken a couple more pics that shows both side of the device (so that you can clearly see that one side is flush and the other isn't).  I am going to contact iBasso again, send them the new pics, and again request a new battery cover.  I will keep you guys posted, because I know some others have had this issue.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #7,474 of 18,652
Got mine today, really impressed so far. No hardware or software issues, it took 5 mins to scan my full 64GB card and off it went. Sounds great, and is doing a decent job of driving my HD600s. All good stuff :D

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #7,475 of 18,652
  Are there any iTunes users running the DX50 (besides me)? I ask because the folder organization that iTunes natively uses on my Mac makes navigating and organizing music on my DX50 a breeze...

Formerly, anyway. I've kept the directory layout (Artist/Album/Tracks) but converted the base library from ALAC to FLAC, extracted my playlists and ratings for future reference, and used Mp3Tag to fix a few minor issues.

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #7,476 of 18,652
Are there any iTunes users running the DX50 (besides me)? I ask because the folder organization that iTunes natively uses on my Mac makes navigating and organizing music on my DX50 a breeze...

Hi,
I too have used the iTunes created libraries with excellent success and have posted a few times here about that. I also reported my start-up scan times and my total SD scan times were not quite as good as some others. I've never had a system freeze or any other issues with the files.

Wondering if I could get my scan times shorter, I put my SD card in the reader and did some snooping. I had forgotten that i had a bunch of non-audio files in some of my folders. Many albums purchased on iTunes came with some pdf artwork files and several video files in M4v format. I cleaned a bunch of those files out, added two new hi-res albums and did another card scan. It was a fast scan of about 5 minutes or so. I didn't have much time last night to check everything out but it was fast and my new albums were there.

So yes, iTunes format seems to work just fine but there can still be some stuff you don't need (and taking up space) that can be removed for better performance. I've never messed with any tagging clean-up or anything else.
Scott

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #7,477 of 18,652
Back and Forth and Back again...

I wrote to MP4Nation and they said I should write to iBasso, which I did.  iBasso wrote back to tell me to write to MP4Nation for an RMA b/c my unit is defective.  Wrote to MP4Nation for the RMA process (I'm worried about that - what's it gonna cost me in time & cash to get their error rectified?) and they haven't answered yet - but it's night time in Hong Kong so I'm not expecting an answer until later tonight (USA time).  More later as events unfold.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #7,478 of 18,652

I wrote to MP4Nation and they said I should write to iBasso, which I did.  iBasso wrote back to tell me to write to MP4Nation for an RMA b/c my unit is defective.  Wrote to MP4Nation for the RMA process (I'm worried about that - what's it gonna cost me in time & cash to get their error rectified?) and they haven't answered yet - but it's night time in Hong Kong so I'm not expecting an answer until later tonight (USA time).  More later as events unfold.

That's not good! MP4 sell the item to you and they should provide another unit to you. If you have paid with paypal the problem will not exist.. just contact paypal!

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #7,479 of 18,652

That's the reason why I always try to get the device from the original manufacturer a much as possible, to avoid that ping pong game they end up playing. iBasso by itself is pretty reliable to deal with any buyer issues. You might pay more or get a little less but then when you need to deal with the unexpected, it usually makes the resolution a little easier.

I am sure you'll eventually get it fixed, just hang in there.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #7,480 of 18,652
That's the reason why I always try to get the device from the original manufacturer a much as possible, to avoid that ping pong game they end up playing. iBasso by itself is pretty reliable to deal with any buyer issues. You might pay more or get a little less but then when you need to deal with the unexpected, it usually makes the resolution a little easier.

I am sure you'll eventually get it fixed, just hang in there.

Anyway for the warranty is basso that shoul respond. But for a replacement of a defective unit is MP4 nation that has to manage it. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #7,481 of 18,652
wow.... sounds bad. MP4nation would be obliged to stand by the sold product since this is not even one month old.

also iBasso needs MP4 nation to send back defective unit, so i can see where they coming from.

please keep us posted, i also bought from MP4nation and will be interested to see how they honor clients and warranty.

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #7,482 of 18,652
Folks - I'm going to give MP4Nation opportunity to address the situation before I escalate further.  It's still sleeping time in Hong Kong so I'm waiting until tonight.  Thanks for the sympathy and help.

PayPal is the next level of escalation but that'll wait until I find out what MP4Nation will do.  I'm guessing that I'll be out the shipping cost and an interminable (seemingly) waiting time until another Batch from iBasso appears.

I'm starting to wish that I had bought a Fiio X3 from Parts Express - they're only a couple hundred miles away.  Their software is more stable but there are other things that I prefer about the iBasso - thanks to all those 500 pages of postings from folks like you-all.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #7,485 of 18,652

Yep, I just copied over the music folder from my iTunes library hoping it wouldn't have any issues with the ALAC files after having no end of trouble converting my library to FLAC (every converter I tried, must have been close to a dozen, ended up increasing the size of the collection by 30-50%, so there must be something I've overlooked). Aside from some album artwork not displaying, which I couldn't care less about, it's been great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back