The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 25, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #7,486 of 18,652
Today got a pair of se535 with DX50 and immediately noticed the hiss from phone out :frowning2: felt sad though the DX50 sounds good overall but I expect better from iBasso. Compare to my ipod 160G,the DX50 does show improvement in sound quality but not a big improvement in all aspects.
Firmware update could change the hiss noise?

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #7,487 of 18,652
  I guess its iBasso's fault, not MP4 Nation..

it does not matter whose fault. MP4nation is the seller and must communicate to iBasso. the buyer has the right to put product to the seller and the seller contacts iBasso and decides. this how it works and i understand it would work same way with many other companies.

when i buy some gear i go to sort the issues to the seller in most cases. only when the producing company says this will be the case i might put my problem directly with them but in most cases they will not deal with me directly but through the seller.

when you buy your car or your amp, do you contact the company producing them or the dealer- seller?

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #7,488 of 18,652
The Seller for sure, but I think that all these problems are due to iBasso that maybe does no enough controls on devices.

As you said. I'm expecting that MP4 Nation will manage this for the user which has the problem. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #7,489 of 18,652
back to iBasso and DX50.... ahhhhrrrrr... i am enjoying now my DX50 paired with Tralucent T1 amp and the more i listen to this combo the more i feel smashed & smitten because it sounds so good that i do not know what else i could wish for?

seriously, you must try this combination if have a chance. simply amazing synergy. my small cheapo BH amp does excellent job and makes DX50 sing.... but T1 brings more and transforms DX50 into truly musical heaven. amazes me... and makes me hell a lot happier.

on a side note, i saw someone claiming that DX50 amped beats AK120 to which i have my doubts. DX50 is very nice sounding DAP and amped is a true musical nirvana ... still my RWAK 100 offers something else, less edge more analogue feel and more velvet black space. DX50 is detail monster and this what makes many believe it excels over AK120 or RWAK, however if you have more time to spend with both DAPs you will note how easy flowing and relaxed AK is compared to DX50. i find RWAK easily exceeding unamped DX50 but amped DX50 can give RWAK some run for the money so good DX50 amped is.... still overall RWAK is more refined DAP which also costs a lot more.

now i assume AK120 must be a better DAP compared to RWAK100 and so i would not jump to conclusions which might be just quick impressions especially when listened in shop.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #7,490 of 18,652
  The Seller for sure, but I think that all these problems are due to iBasso that maybe does no enough controls on devices.

As you said. I'm expecting that MP4 Nation will manage this for the user which has the problem. 

lets wait and see what MP4nation tells.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #7,491 of 18,652
Today got a pair of se535 with DX50 and immediately noticed the hiss from phone out
frown.gif
felt sad though the DX50 sounds good overall but I expect better from iBasso. Compare to my ipod 160G,the DX50 does show improvement in sound quality but not a big improvement in all aspects.

I emailed iBasso about this. They said it's a hardware design flaw. try to use Hi-Gain and see if you can stand the hiss.

I didn't like the hiss, so I got an external amp to remove it.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #7,492 of 18,652
  I emailed iBasso about this. They said it's a hardware design flaw. try to use Hi-Gain and see if you can stand the hiss.

I didn't like the hiss, so I got an external amp to remove it.

you mean permanent flaw and iBasso does not intend to send a replacement in this case? sorry am i missing something?

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #7,493 of 18,652
I have the modified iRiver AK100 and to me, in no way is it better than the DX50. And with either amped, the DX50 leaves it behind, IMO. Amped I hear a very transparent dynamic and layered sound, the most from any implementation of the Wolfson 8740 dac I have heard. Even mechanically I find nothing of an advantage to the AK100 and even though I know from taking the volume control a part, that it will hold up, I don't really care for the way it sticks out. 

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #7,495 of 18,652
Jamato, to me DX50 is detail MONSTER, crisp, sharp, overreaching, DX50 simply digs for details and if there is even small bit this DX50 will extract and present it in good way ... RWAK100 to me is more relax, easy flowing, better refined stage and more analogue like feel.... i also find DX50 greatly benefiting from my T1 amp while RWAK100 has only smaller benefits from amping mostly going about control and subtle dynamics. i also prefer RWAK100 stage sound organization.

to each his own, i say only what i hear myself. but i also reckon that DX50+T1 costs still far less than RWAK alone so DX50 must make big appeal to anyone who wants superb sounding DAP without overpaying for audiophile subtleys.

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #7,496 of 18,652
Today got a pair of se535 with DX50 and immediately noticed the hiss from phone out :frowning2: felt sad though the DX50 sounds good overall but I expect better from iBasso. Compare to my ipod 160G,the DX50 does show improvement in sound quality but not a big improvement in all aspects.

I got the same setup, there is a definite hiss, once the music play it's not detectable it's when you are pausing or there is a silent gap in between but like it was suggested you can either move the gain to high and see if that works for you or use an amp. I find the amp the best solution for me.

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #7,497 of 18,652
there's a much better tool for removing the hiss, it's called impedance adapter. like the one's etymotic is selling. is much smaller (basically a very short cable extension) and much less expensive (30$~ IIRC). of course a good amplifier will also improve the sound, but that's gonna cost much more and take up lot's of space...

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #7,498 of 18,652
  back to iBasso and DX50.... ahhhhrrrrr... i am enjoying now my DX50 paired with Tralucent T1 amp and the more i listen to this combo the more i feel smashed & smitten because it sounds so good that i do not know what else i could wish for?

seriously, you must try this combination if have a chance. simply amazing synergy. my small cheapo BH amp does excellent job and makes DX50 sing.... but T1 brings more and transforms DX50 into truly musical heaven. amazes me... and makes me hell a lot happier.

on a side note, i saw someone claiming that DX50 amped beats AK120 to which i have my doubts. DX50 is very nice sounding DAP and amped is a true musical nirvana ... still my RWAK 100 offers something else, less edge more analogue feel and more velvet black space. DX50 is detail monster and this what makes many believe it excels over AK120 or RWAK, however if you have more time to spend with both DAPs you will note how easy flowing and relaxed AK is compared to DX50. i find RWAK easily exceeding unamped DX50 but amped DX50 can give RWAK some run for the money so good DX50 amped is.... still overall RWAK is more refined DAP which also costs a lot more.

now i assume AK120 must be a better DAP compared to RWAK100 and so i would not jump to conclusions which might be just quick impressions especially when listened in shop.

yeah the dx50 and T1 was just amazing but the form factor of the t1 was just not doing it for me.  Why i ended up with a c5.

Nov 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #7,500 of 18,652
I got the same setup, there is a definite hiss, once the music play it's not detectable it's when you are pausing or there is a silent gap in between but like it was suggested you can either move the gain to high and see if that works for you or use an amp. I find the amp the best solution for me.

Thank you and xnuthecaveman for the info.
Yes it's not noticeable when playing but as I remember there's no or much less hiss when paired with W4R. Maybe just because se535 is too sensitive. Really hope iBasso could fix or reduce the hiss in the future firmware update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back